Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Camber Kits Available for the SC300?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-07, 07:11 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by MJHSC400
It's leaning backwards-- I thought that was negative--

I think on second thought it's nearly 4.5 deg -- while the other is at stock-- it does make it pull but not horrible --

I wish I knew which shot in the dark to take and pick the right shop around here - -- --

Honestly, I wish I could get 5 degrees out of mine... I think about 3.5 was about as high as I could go... If I were you, I'd try to get the caster on the other side up to 4.5 - should even out the pull, and caster won't cause tires to wear badly...

http://www.yokohamatire.com/utmeasures.asp
Old 05-20-07, 07:29 PM
MJHSC400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll see if I can get him to do it one day when he's not busy-- It may allow me to pull the toe back out to factory spec-- 1mm --
Old 05-22-07, 01:35 PM
MJHSC400
Lexus Test Driver

I'm about to post a how-to on converting the Daizen upper bushing kit into a camber kit with a good bit of adjustment--

I'm basically taking the original supplied sleeves out, and using a slightly larger sleeve with a slotted hole for adjustment-- It seems better than making them eccentric sleeves, which is pretty common on camber kits that I've seen--

I'm using 1" cold rolled bar stock, cutting the bushings to fit the 1" sleeve, then milling the sleeve with a pretty wide slot--

Similar to this design-- but with only a single sleeve --
Old 05-22-07, 07:33 PM
MJHSC400
Lexus Test Driver

I don't think that kit will work for caster adjustment though--

I think I either need to install a single eccentric sleeve or dual eccentrics to achieve caster adjustment--

It took a bit of brainstorming to figure that out--

I'm worried that slotted sleeves wouldn't exactly bolt down just right and may have a tendency to loosen or slip-- now a single slotted sleeve may work--

Any input?? I'm wondering how much I would have to rotate the upper control arm forward to achieve a 2 degree change in caster-- (I need the caster to decrease on the passenger side) --

Maybe slotted would work though-- It won't be that hard to change if I need to later--
Old 05-26-07, 08:17 PM
JspecSC3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm about to post a how-to on converting the Daizen upper bushing kit into a camber kit with a good bit of adjustment--

I'm basically taking the original supplied sleeves out, and using a slightly larger sleeve with a slotted hole for adjustment-- It seems better than making them eccentric sleeves, which is pretty common on camber kits that I've seen--

I'm using 1" cold rolled bar stock, cutting the bushings to fit the 1" sleeve, then milling the sleeve with a pretty wide slot--

Similar to this design-- but with only a single sleeve --
I bought my camber kit from Daizen. True, both the upper bushing kit and the camber kit are very Identical. But I dont think your project would work. If you ever take a look at Daizen's camber kit, notice the rubber black bushing with the hole in the middle? Well compare to yours. You'll see that the hole in the camber kit is not positioned right in the center like it is in your bushing kit. On the camber kit it is actually off to the side a little bit.

Also a little update. I went back to that shop I was having problems with. I had them put my car up on the lift and do my alignment. After a day of *****ing and moaning , the techs at the alignment shop were able to get the SC at

FRONT:

Left -1.0
Right -1.4

In the end they were all complaining about how hard it was to get it to those specs and they didnt even use my camber kit that I bought for nothing.
Old 05-26-07, 09:47 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

they just didn't want to do the work... our cars have the EASIEST alignment adjusters compared to almost any other car...

I think it was me that said you didn't need a camber kit....

our cars can be aligned to anything within reason within about an hour, maybe less, depending on what settings you are trying to get...

Originally Posted by JspecSC3
I bought my camber kit from Daizen. True, both the upper bushing kit and the camber kit are very Identical. But I dont think your project would work. If you ever take a look at Daizen's camber kit, notice the rubber black bushing with the hole in the middle? Well compare to yours. You'll see that the hole in the camber kit is not positioned right in the center like it is in your bushing kit. On the camber kit it is actually off to the side a little bit.

Also a little update. I went back to that shop I was having problems with. I had them put my car up on the lift and do my alignment. After a day of *****ing and moaning , the techs at the alignment shop were able to get the SC at

FRONT:

Left -1.0
Right -1.4

In the end they were all complaining about how hard it was to get it to those specs and they didnt even use my camber kit that I bought for nothing.
Old 05-26-07, 10:38 PM
MJHSC400
Lexus Test Driver

If you ever take a look at Daizen's camber kit, notice the rubber black bushing with the hole in the middle? Well compare to yours. You'll see that the hole in the camber kit is not positioned right in the center like it is in your bushing kit. On the camber kit it is actually off to the side a little bit.
Notice the one's I made have slots-- like the one's they use.......

The slots add adjustment for camber and caster--

Sorry- They took my thread down as they thought my main intent was to sell kits-- I'll post up an info. thread after I get it installed and realigned without any mention of actually making and selling them.....

My kit was intended for caster-- my car's not lowered and never will be so I don't need a camber kit, and If I did I mentioned that I would use larger steel sleeves with larger slots for even more adjustability..

Trust me-- The slotted sleeves will work beautifully.
Old 05-27-07, 11:13 AM
JspecSC3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Notice the one's I made have slots-- like the one's they use.......

The slots add adjustment for camber and caster--

Sorry- They took my thread down as they thought my main intent was to sell kits-- I'll post up an info. thread after I get it installed and realigned without any mention of actually making and selling them.....

My kit was intended for caster-- my car's not lowered and never will be so I don't need a camber kit, and If I did I mentioned that I would use larger steel sleeves with larger slots for even more adjustability..

Trust me-- The slotted sleeves will work beautifully.
Whatever floats your boat. I just want to be low to the earth with my wheels tucked without using airbags.