Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Camber Kits Available for the SC300?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-07, 05:50 PM
JspecSC3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation Camber Kits Available for the SC300?

Im trying to get an alignment done to my brother's SC but no shop is willing to take it in for service. I just got back from another shop that got me so frustrated.

It is a 1992 SC300 with Supra Tein SS lowered to the lowested setting sitting on the 17" Supra TT wheels. Here is the camber on the car right now:

FRONT:
Left -2.7 degrees
Right -3.1 degrees

REAR:
Left -2.7 degrees
Right -2.8 degrees

I need to know what camber kits there are available for the SC besides the Daizen kit. Im pretty fed up with arguing to shop owners about doing the work to my car. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-19-07, 10:08 AM
MJHSC400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

daizen is all I know about-- my car's been wrecked, so the camber is off on the right side-- a little too much negative-- which makes it pull enough to be annoying-- stock height though-- (low enough )--

I still want to install the daizen kit and get the angles corrected and fix the tire wear and pulling--
Old 05-19-07, 10:12 AM
MJHSC400
Lexus Test Driver

I believe the MK3 upper CA fits the SC, so it may be worth a test fit with something made for the older supra--
Old 05-19-07, 12:54 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by MJHSC400
daizen is all I know about-- my car's been wrecked, so the camber is off on the right side-- a little too much negative-- which makes it pull enough to be annoying-- stock height though-- (low enough )--

I still want to install the daizen kit and get the angles corrected and fix the tire wear and pulling--
you need to find a better alignment guy.... there is a TON of adjustment on the SC's and so much that a car would have to be really bent to have this issue... especially at stock ride height...

on the Tein SS - how low is lowest setting???

measure from front and rear wheel wells, and let me know what size tire you have on there...

I am willing to bet that there is a lot of adjustment available to you even without camber kits... there is a TON of adjustment with the SC's... one of these days I'll put my car back on the rack and actually measure...

by the way, I run -2.6 rear and -2.0 front and have almost ZERO tire wear issues... the BFG's in the following pic have been on the car for about 20k miles, and I fully expect to get another 10 at least...

Last edited by mitsuguy; 05-19-07 at 12:58 PM.
Old 05-19-07, 03:06 PM
MJHSC400
Lexus Test Driver

The SC has been hit hard my man-- BUT-- I may try to get another shop to try to crank it to -2.0 up front--

They had to crank the right side all the way forward -- which pulled the right side camber to about 3.5 or so if I remember correctly-- maybe more--

Would you recommend -2.0 at stock height??
Old 05-19-07, 03:10 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

The SC has been hit hard my man-- BUT-- I may try to get another shop to try to crank it to -2.0 up front--

They had to crank the right side all the way forward -- which pulled the right side camber to about 3.5 or so if I remember correctly-- maybe more--

Would you recommend -2.0 at stock height??
I run -2.0 front and as long as the toe is in good shape, tire wear is not bad at all...

(I cringe everytime I say this) but most shops alignment guys just don't care... try and get some repertoire built up with either a good sales person, manager, or even alignment tech and you will get a lot better service...
Old 05-19-07, 06:43 PM
JspecSC3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mitsuguy
I run -2.0 front and as long as the toe is in good shape, tire wear is not bad at all...

(I cringe everytime I say this) but most shops alignment guys just don't care... try and get some repertoire built up with either a good sales person, manager, or even alignment tech and you will get a lot better service...
Yeah the SC currently has -2.7 on the front which is causing the tires to wear pretty fast on the inner edge. The rear is not much of a problem. It is at -2.7. You could barely notice the camber wear. There is no gap between the tire and the fender. I see you have a gaps on your SC. What suspension are you using. Im using the Tein SS for the Supra and it is fully lowered.

So you absolutely think that I can have corrected without a camber kit? I know for a fact that it can and thats what Ive been trying to argue about with lots of alignment shops. I was just so mad yesterday because the guy bumped up the labor charge just because it was lowered and charged me $30 just to get it up on the lift and on top of that we didnt even end up doing any work until we got a camber kit. Im telling you he kept telling me he was going to call the cops because I was yelling at him. I said enough is enough.

But anyway, my brother went ahead and ordered the Daizen Camber Kit through TM Engineering. We'll give it another try but this time Im going to the bay area.
Old 05-19-07, 08:06 PM
MJHSC400
Lexus Test Driver

I'm sorry, the problem with mine is that the camber AND caster can't be dialed perfect due to the frame damage--

He has to push the right wheel all the way forward, which greatly rakes the caster to a big negative on that one side--- All in order to get the wheelbase equal on both sides-- I'm pretty sure it was hit pretty hard-- or rather-- it hit something pretty hard--

The alignment guy here is pretty dam smart-- I don't think he's jackin me-- The car drives great, it just pulls a little-- not bad though-- It's just due to the slightly differing camber angles -- it still sucks though-- I really don't know what a mint SC drives like due to this problem--

Makes me wish I had my old 535i 5spd but with boost--- what a car--
Old 05-19-07, 08:21 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

I'm sorry, the problem with mine is that the camber AND caster can't be dialed perfect due to the frame damage--

He has to push the right wheel all the way forward, which greatly rakes the caster to a big negative on that one side--- All in order to get the wheelbase equal on both sides-- I'm pretty sure it was hit pretty hard-- or rather-- it hit something pretty hard--

The alignment guy here is pretty dam smart-- I don't think he's jackin me-- The car drives great, it just pulls a little-- not bad though-- It's just due to the slightly differing camber angles -- it still sucks though-- I really don't know what a mint SC drives like due to this problem--

Makes me wish I had my old 535i 5spd but with boost--- what a car--
Caster shouldn't matter in terms of tire wear, and honestly, lots of negative caster is not necessarily a bad thing...Mine are maxed out in terms of negative caster... It just needs to be similar side to side to prevent a bad pull... Any chance you know what the caster numbers are???

Ya know, it shouldn't cost ~that~ much to get the frame pulled back...
Old 05-19-07, 08:23 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by JspecSC3
Yeah the SC currently has -2.7 on the front which is causing the tires to wear pretty fast on the inner edge. The rear is not much of a problem. It is at -2.7. You could barely notice the camber wear. There is no gap between the tire and the fender. I see you have a gaps on your SC. What suspension are you using. Im using the Tein SS for the Supra and it is fully lowered.

So you absolutely think that I can have corrected without a camber kit? I know for a fact that it can and thats what Ive been trying to argue about with lots of alignment shops. I was just so mad yesterday because the guy bumped up the labor charge just because it was lowered and charged me $30 just to get it up on the lift and on top of that we didnt even end up doing any work until we got a camber kit. Im telling you he kept telling me he was going to call the cops because I was yelling at him. I said enough is enough.

But anyway, my brother went ahead and ordered the Daizen Camber Kit through TM Engineering. We'll give it another try but this time Im going to the bay area.

Mine is only lowered almost two inches... I would need to know how low it really is to tell you if it will get within spec or not...
Old 05-19-07, 09:56 PM
JspecSC3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mitsuguy
Mine is only lowered almost two inches... I would need to know how low it really is to tell you if it will get within spec or not...
I dont know the exact measurement of the drop but from what I hear the Tein SS drops the car about 2 inches. And since they are Supra Teins I can expect another 1 inch and a quarter. I'll try and get some pics up tomorrow just how low it really is.
Old 05-19-07, 10:26 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by JspecSC3
I dont know the exact measurement of the drop but from what I hear the Tein SS drops the car about 2 inches. And since they are Supra Teins I can expect another 1 inch and a quarter. I'll try and get some pics up tomorrow just how low it really is.
k... measure to the tops of the fenderwells too (with a tire size)...

Supra stuff is typically only 1/2" different than SC stuff...
Old 05-20-07, 12:46 PM
MJHSC400
Lexus Test Driver

one side is stock caster, the other is -3.5 if I remember correctly-- on the 3d readout the differences are exaggerated so that the tech really sets the suspension very precisely-- they have a brand new hunter machine that seems to be very good-- I still think I have about 1/8" total toe which equates to about 3.4mm -- a bit too much but it helps it track better due to the differences in caster making it want to pull a bit to the left-- (I hate it too)
Old 05-20-07, 01:56 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

one side is stock caster, the other is -3.5 if I remember correctly-- on the 3d readout the differences are exaggerated so that the tech really sets the suspension very precisely-- they have a brand new hunter machine that seems to be very good-- I still think I have about 1/8" total toe which equates to about 3.4mm -- a bit too much but it helps it track better due to the differences in caster making it want to pull a bit to the left-- (I hate it too)
As with anything, an alignment is only as good as the tech doing it... The machine makes little to no difference, so long as it is accurate... I've done 4 today myself (I pick days to do repair work instead of talk to people), and one of them, the guy claimed he took it three different places (including the dealership he worked at) and no one could a) get the steering wheel straight and b) keep it from pulling...

an hour later, he drove off with it, an hour after that, he came back and gave me a $50 tip...

Stock caster on the SC's is +3 degrees... are you sure yours is -3.5 degrees??? thats a long ways off...thats like with the whole thing leaning forward while it should be leaning backwards...

Last edited by mitsuguy; 05-20-07 at 02:01 PM.
Old 05-20-07, 05:16 PM
MJHSC400
Lexus Test Driver

It's leaning backwards-- I thought that was negative--

I think on second thought it's nearly 4.5 deg -- while the other is at stock-- it does make it pull but not horrible --

I wish I knew which shot in the dark to take and pick the right shop around here - -- --

Quick Reply: Camber Kits Available for the SC300?