Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Painting the brake Calipers

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-01, 09:51 AM
dnguyen_GS430
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Painting the brake Calipers

Hi CL freinds,

When you painted yours brake caliper, do you have to take it off your caliper and paint it or just leave them on? The reason I'm asking is I really don't want to take the caliper off and have to bleed the brake line later. Also, what is a good color for my Millienium Silver GS?

Thanks for your helps
Old 12-10-01, 11:05 AM
BLiu
Lexus Test Driver

Default Re: Painting the brake Calipers

Originally posted by dnguyen_GS430
Hi CL freinds,

When you painted yours brake caliper, do you have to take it off your caliper and paint it or just leave them on? The reason I'm asking is I really don't want to take the caliper off and have to bleed the brake line later. Also, what is a good color for my Millienium Silver GS?

Thanks for your helps
I just did this a couple of months ago. Just buy the blue painter's masking tape which sticks real well. Mask out everything using newspaper and tape and just spray away! Good luck.

Brent
Old 12-10-01, 07:25 PM
nanotech
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

is it really that easy?

I wanna do that Lexus sticker thing on the caliper and I have been waiting for my dad to take it to the Nissan place since he knows the manager there and since he is the one who did the rear calipers...but my dad never has time

you do have to take the wheels off right or do you just tape the wheels up too???

Actually even if the wheels need to be removed I could do this while I work at the mall, the guy at sears knows me and he would lift it up for me like he did before...I guess he would paint it for me too, I dont know.....so what paint do I have to use? just high-heat paint that you get from an auto store???
Old 12-10-01, 09:18 PM
BananaGS
Tech Guru

go to my website, there are instruction how to do this there
Old 12-11-01, 09:22 PM
Ltuned
Driver School Candidate

Default Painting calipers

By the time you tape and mask everything off, you could of pull the brake calipers off (2 bolts) and take the brake pads off (retainer clips) and remember how you took them off! And you dont need to bleed the brakes. People's reaction, seeing a Lexus GS400 on jacks in front of my house and me pulling the calipers off an expensive car. People thought i was broke and couldnt afford to take it to a dealership! or something.
Old 12-11-01, 10:10 PM
nanotech
Lexus Test Driver

are you sure its as simple as that? take the wheel off, take the caliper off and put it back on???

I think I rather not mess with it and simply cover everything up with plastic and newspapers, that would be easier for me, I could cover up in like 5 min....oh well

also, how do I get the wheel lock off?
Old 12-12-01, 05:19 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

>also, how do I get the wheel lock off?

With the wheel lock key?
Old 12-12-01, 06:59 AM
nanotech
Lexus Test Driver

yes ofcourse with the wheel lock key, lol....except I don't have a wheel lock key, is it supposed to come with the car or do you have to go to Lexus to get one or something?
Old 12-12-01, 07:10 AM
Mean Gene
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking Too Lazy!

I was too lazy to remove the calipers ( plus I've seen people just let them hang & damaged the brake line:eek: ) so I just jacked up the car & used 4 jack stands to support the GS ( it was time to rotate the tires anyway ). I first scuffed the calipers lightly with 000 steel wool & then sprayed them with brake cleaner ( to remove any oily residue ). Then I taped off the rotors & surrounding areas & whipped out the black VHT engine block paint. Shot several light coats over the course of the morning & let it dry overnight. Applied the yellow Lexus stickers ( from Ted ) & now have the total "bumblebee" look from the engine compartment back to the trunk/stereo components!!
Well, I like it!!
Old 12-12-01, 08:01 AM
K10's-GS4
Driver

Hey nonotech,

Your GS should come with the wheel lock. Look in you trunk where the spare is or in the cabin of the car like in your glove box or center console. If you cant find it contact your dealer. I wouldnt want to have a flat and not have the key to the rim
Old 12-12-01, 08:05 AM
ted920
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

once you paint the brake calipers you should buy a set of 4 stickers for the front and rear calipers witht the lexus logo on them. looks really good.

look in the sales marketplace under GS.

there are pics and also in the Dec 8th CT meet my wheels with stickers are there --- its a black GS w/ 19 inch wheels AT Italia Riva 2 piece wheels from Italy.

Ted
Old 12-12-01, 08:43 AM
nanotech
Lexus Test Driver

thanks, but my friend made me stickers already and they look really nice, and the lexus name that goes on the front calipers is curved the way the caliper is ...I can't wait to put it on and see how it all looks when its done!