Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Like a 5-series

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-07, 08:45 PM
iamkhanz
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I own a 540i and the GS3 no way the GS can come close to the abilities of 540's suspension. I know that's my opinion. I feel both cars are completely different types of cars. Lexus is much more luxurious-cuddled drive then the BMW in my opinion. Steering feel is WAY different between the two cars. Ofcourse you know which one is more reliable though
Old 06-30-07, 09:23 PM
uplusd
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GSteg
I was just going to point out that the l-tuned rides lower in the back than the front.

I have the same problem. It's very annoying when I have just one passenger in the back because the springs are soft relative to the front that the rear end sags a bit with some weight.

How many finger gaps do you have now? I noticed that my suspension didn't fully settle until maybe 3 days afterwards.
I am about half a finger in the rear and 1 finger in the front.
Old 06-30-07, 09:41 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

that sounds about right then. I'm a finger in the back and 2 in the front. Of course i'm on stock 17s instead of the 18" spiders.
Old 06-30-07, 11:54 PM
movinquick
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

do you guys know why the ltuned does that? any suggestions on an alternative with a similar but more even drop?
Old 07-01-07, 06:58 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by iamkhanz
I own a 540i and the GS3 no way the GS can come close to the abilities of 540's suspension. I know that's my opinion. I feel both cars are completely different types of cars. Lexus is much more luxurious-cuddled drive then the BMW in my opinion. Steering feel is WAY different between the two cars. Ofcourse you know which one is more reliable though
Stock yes. Have you modded the GS?
Old 07-01-07, 04:56 PM
uplusd
Lexus Test Driver

I also noticed the driver side is lower than the passenger side. My TTE lip is 5.5 inches off the ground on the driver side, and 6.25 inches off the ground on the passenger side. Is it because I have not had anyone sit in the passenger seat since I lowered the car? Will it even out over time?

Last edited by uplusd; 07-01-07 at 05:03 PM.
Old 07-01-07, 08:12 PM
iamkhanz
Lead Lap

guys maybe I have a sick mind..but read the whole thing about the fingers again..lol I thought that was halarous!! 2 fingers in the front and one in the rear!!! HAHA okay anyway no my GS is stock..I'm considering putting the Bilstein's in there.. anyone know what difference is between Sport and "HD" both are lifetime warantee right so what's HD?
Old 07-02-07, 05:45 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by iamkhanz
guys maybe I have a sick mind..but read the whole thing about the fingers again..lol I thought that was halarous!! 2 fingers in the front and one in the rear!!! HAHA okay anyway no my GS is stock..I'm considering putting the Bilstein's in there.. anyone know what difference is between Sport and "HD" both are lifetime warantee right so what's HD?
Bilstein shocks, struts, coilovers have a limited lifetime warranty. Just get yourself a set of Bilstein PSS coilovers. You will be a very happy camper. Nothing beats the adjustabilty of coilovers when it comes to suspension tuning. The ride will be similar to that of a 5 series sport.

Now when it comes to handeling like a 5 series, a fully modded GS with every aftermarket suspension component known to man, will out handle a non-sport pack equipped 5 series. A stock 5 series with M Sport package will be a different story. Sorry to crush some egos here, but a sport pack equipped Bimmer will indeed outhandle a modded GS. We can take a modded GS430 vs. a BMW 530I Sport Pack.. The BMW 530I Sport pack would win on a track.. Reason... a simple a case of neutral handeling and perfect balance over outright speed. No matter what you do to a GS, the chassis dynamics, and balance won't match or exceed that of a 5 series. Show me some videos to prove otherwise
Old 07-02-07, 07:26 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

Those with coilovers, take advantage of your set by having the car realigned with corner weight balancing. The key to all Bimmers out of the factory is that they're all balanced. If you throw in some coilovers on your car without corner balancing, you're suspension is not optimal, PERIOD!

Those who care about handling and wouldn't mind paying someone to do corner balancing, I say go for it.
Old 07-02-07, 08:25 AM
iamkhanz
Lead Lap

I would have to agree with Dashshocker.. I am actually looking at a set of those PSS coilovers... the other thing I do like about the Lexus is that it rides like a Lexus..NOT a Bimmer.. I mean it's not bad it's just different you know? That's why people buy Lexus because it's a nice luxurry vehicle and you like the way it rides and looks...thats why I've been thinking lots about adj suspension.. I bought some 19" wheels for the Lex..but I still haven't put on..I would like to do that though..our car definately looks VERY VERY clean with some nice wheels. But then again I am thinking will I lose the Buick Floater feel lol! I should act my age and drop it w/ some coils and cut out the fender wells..
Old 07-02-07, 10:35 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

I'll try to get a few videos next time I go autocrossing with a few of my buddies. They roll M3, M5, 350z, G35c, and one just got a C6 vette lol. Not sure how many of them will actually attend though. However, the times I've run up with my friend in the E46 M3 on autocross...I get better times. But I guess it has something to do with driver ability as well lol. I guess it could also be that I have close to 400hp on tap
Old 07-04-07, 12:56 AM
iamkhanz
Lead Lap

Jeff man you do have a turbo..I hope you are kickin some as$!
Old 07-04-07, 04:59 AM
TRD911
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

All this talk about the 5 series and the GS I find interesting. When I first started out looking for a 2nd car, third for the family I really wanted a MANUAL shift 540. I had some trouble finding one and everytime I talked to some body about one they always said the same thing. The car will nickle and dime you to death. What scared me completely away from the BMW was that they started to put water cooled alternators on their cars. I think they started in 99 or 00. That just really turned me off. I do wonder if I would have more fun driving a powerful manual shift car though.
My wife loves the GS and it is more than fast enough for me.
Old 07-05-07, 09:29 AM
Lexbox
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by mrurmil
I also noticed the driver side is lower than the passenger side. My TTE lip is 5.5 inches off the ground on the driver side, and 6.25 inches off the ground on the passenger side. Is it because I have not had anyone sit in the passenger seat since I lowered the car? Will it even out over time?
This is exactly why people upgrade to coilovers over springs. You can adjust each corner independently. Your car with the springs will not settle perfectly on all sides because the weight isnt distributed perfectly. There is nothing you can do about it, without coilovers. If you feel bad now, wait til someone else notices.
Old 07-05-07, 10:37 AM
Big_GS300
Driver School Candidate

I have added a TRD front lower brace and a Ebay rear lower brace to my GS and the difference is huge!

Quick Reply: Like a 5-series