Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Steering Effort

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-07, 05:52 PM
KAME
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering Effort

I have a 96 SC300 that has been recently aligned and corner balanced. I have upgraded Daizen steering rack bushing, and my power steering pump appears to be in good condition with no visible leaks or sounds.

My problem is this: I have noticed that the steering effort required to turn right is quite a bit less than that required to turn left. This occurs at all speeds. Is there any obvious problems that could cause this condition?
Old 06-05-07, 03:23 PM
Luxor
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

are both your front tires inflated properly?
Old 06-06-07, 09:27 AM
KAME
Driver

Yes, my tires are inflated to 40psi, and are near new. Tie rod ends have been inspected and are in good condition. I am going to try to see if the same things happen with the front wheels off the ground and the car running. If so, I believe it may be in the rack.
Old 06-06-07, 06:56 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

you said it was aligned... how well was the caster done? any significant difference from side to side - caster can cause this issue, though they'd really have to have it weird side to side to make a noticeable steering difference..

any chance you have the alignment specs (caster, camber, toe) for all 4 corners?

also, you mentioned corner balanced - do you have adjustable coilovers???
Old 06-07-07, 04:49 PM
KAME
Driver

Originally Posted by mitsuguy
you said it was aligned... how well was the caster done? any significant difference from side to side - caster can cause this issue, though they'd really have to have it weird side to side to make a noticeable steering difference..

any chance you have the alignment specs (caster, camber, toe) for all 4 corners?

also, you mentioned corner balanced - do you have adjustable coilovers???
I don't have the specs in hand, but I know that they were well within spec. There was slight difference in the L & R front camber values by about 1 degree. I have Tein coilovers.

I don't think the problem is a result of the alignment, but is more than likely a hardware program. I am going to test it this weekend with the wheels off the ground. If it's a steering rack issue, it should feel different even with the front wheels off the ground.
Old 06-07-07, 06:25 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by KAME
I don't have the specs in hand, but I know that they were well within spec. There was slight difference in the L & R front camber values by about 1 degree. I have Tein coilovers.

I don't think the problem is a result of the alignment, but is more than likely a hardware program. I am going to test it this weekend with the wheels off the ground. If it's a steering rack issue, it should feel different even with the front wheels off the ground.
1 degree is a lot... that could easily be your problem...

definitely check the steering rack, but if it was really 1 degree different left vs. right, you need to find a new alignment shop...
Old 06-07-07, 10:09 PM
KAME
Driver

I got it done at WestEnd, the best alignment shop in socal. He said that he couldn't get the camber any better, and that possibly one of my uprights or my upper control arms could be ever so slightly bent. The lower control arms are brand new. Upon inspection, everything looks fine. I am going to try to take a better look at them this weekend, but he went through my suspension with a fine tooth comb.

Thanks for your help...
Old 06-07-07, 10:28 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by KAME
I got it done at WestEnd, the best alignment shop in socal. He said that he couldn't get the camber any better, and that possibly one of my uprights or my upper control arms could be ever so slightly bent. The lower control arms are brand new. Upon inspection, everything looks fine. I am going to try to take a better look at them this weekend, but he went through my suspension with a fine tooth comb.

Thanks for your help...
something would have to be seriously bent not minor to not be able to get each side to match...

I do alignments for fun, and on these cars, I could do it in my sleep...

there is tons of adjustment front and rear, especially camber... to not be able to get them the same side to side (to me more important that maxing them out), then something would have to be seriously bent or out of spec...
Old 06-07-07, 10:45 PM
KAME
Driver

Well then, I don't know what to do. Everything looks fine and drives fine. Darrin at West End is one of the best in the business from what I've heard. I'm no suspension guru, but is there anything that I can keep an eye out for? The car drives great, but I don't want to be putting myself or anyone else at risk if I have a potentially dangerous suspension problem.

Once again, your help is greatly appreciated.
Old 06-07-07, 11:25 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

I need to see the actual alignment numbers before I can say anything...

it should never be the exact same side to side, but 1 degree is a lot...
Old 06-08-07, 08:32 AM
KAME
Driver

My alignment is very similar to the following, with my front right being closer to -2.0 degrees instead of -1.0 degrees. My camber has been off on the front right since I bought the car 2+ years ago. I have had it aligned a couple times previous to the recent West End alignment, and we've never been able to get the front right to cooperate.

Front:
Camber - 1.0 degrees
Caster + 5.0 degrees
Toe 0.00 mm

Rear:
Camber -1.5 degrees
Toe in (total) 1.00 mm

(on 255/40R17 tires this rear toe equates to .090 deg, i.e. .045 deg per side)