Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Break-in procedure...rotors yes but pads say no?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-07, 11:12 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Break-in procedure...rotors yes but pads say no?

I recently received my Brembo rotors (X/S) and Akebono Ceramic pads. The brake pads say that there is no break-in procedure required. The Brembo rotors came with instructions with a specific break-in process. Do rotors need to be broken in or is the break-in procedure strictly for the pads? They are zinc plated and the instructions also indicate to brake softly after the completion of break-in to burn off the zinc. Please help!!!
Old 06-07-07, 05:30 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

No takers???
Old 06-07-07, 07:41 PM
diamondmit
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Follow the Brembo instructions...rotors are often coated with a mild grease or oil...

...to prevent them from rusting in a humid environment, or from contact with water. Pads usually bed in after reaching a threshold temperature (I just read about this on a link from a BMW site recently - the pad manufacturer wanted the pads to reach a temperature above 552 degrees F and provided instructions on how to achieve this immediately following installation...driving slowly with your foot lightly on the brake for a prescribed distance - see the pagid link)

see http://www.zeckhausen.com/bedding_in_brakes.htm
http://www.pagidusa.com/bedding_in_procedure.htm
http://www.tirerack.com/brakestechpage-1/85.shtml

From the Hawk website:
Q: What is the proper procedure for braking in new brake pads?
A: Brake pad break-in procedure.

1. After reaching medium speed engage brake pedal to slow car without coming to a complete stop. Release pedal quickly and do not drag brakes. Repeat four or five times.
2. At higher speeds engage brake pedal to slow car without coming to a complete stop. Release pedal quickly and do not drag brakes. Repeat five times.
3. At or near race speed engage brake pedal to slow car without coming to a complete stop. Release pedal quickly and do not drag brakes. Repeat three times. Allow a few seconds between brake engagements while car is in motion.
4. Do not hold brake pedal. Park car for approximately 20 minutes or until brake rotors are completely cool to the touch.
5. If during the above steps the brake pedal becomes soft or brake fade is noticed, park the car immediately for approximately 20 minutes. Do not hold brake pedal.
Old 06-08-07, 05:21 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

I understand...that is similar direction for break-in from Brembo but Akebono pads (contacted Akebono directly) do NOT need to be broken in. I don't know if I will ruin them by doing the laborous break-in procedure provided by Brembo and your above info. If anyone has Akebono pads please let me know...