Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

clunking sound when braking .

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-07, 01:09 PM
olddog
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default hey

Originally Posted by DooLowGS4
old dog:

where does the fit kit go? i mean, what do i tell the mechanic the fit kit is for? the front _____? thanks in advance.
the fit kit i think is just two flat metal plates cut in the shape of the brake pads and they go on each side of each pad to "beefen" it up or keep it firm. this reduces or stops movement of the pads in the calipers. trust me when i tell you you will sometimes not believe that unbelievable loud clunks or sounds come from little tiny movements in these our brake pads. the shim kit for the front is just 2 "W" pins which hook unto the pads and keep it in place.
for the rear the fit kit is the same as the front: just smaller in size but the shim kit is a metal like bracket which clips into caliper after putting the brake pad in place and also stops the pads from moving. There is an actual pix of this on lexus~parts.com.
i had a worrisome clunk in front and this fixed it. and then when the front was quiet, i was able to hear some rattles in the rear and this fixed it also
hope this helps.
olddog

Last edited by olddog; 08-26-07 at 01:12 PM.
Old 08-26-07, 01:25 PM
Lexamatic
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I knew this was the cause of the noise after putting on ceramic pads. The popping noise got even louder.
Old 09-05-07, 09:56 PM
Adam2562
Lexus Champion

i have that issue on my supra bbk's
Old 09-05-07, 10:00 PM
Adam2562
Lexus Champion

i heard somewhere that if u have the fitting/shim kit in and it does this that u can try to expand the braces so they hold stronger which is what i might try to do tmrw
Old 09-05-07, 11:36 PM
DooLowGS4
Driver School Candidate

just an fyi... i installed the fit kit, and so far i havent heard any clunking... the first day driving around, after i would brake and take off it would hear it, but since then, ive heard nothing... maybe they need to break in? i got the shim kit to play it safe... i havent installed it yet, hopefully tomorrow..
Old 02-14-20, 09:42 PM
jdang0118
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by olddog
I recently changed my pads, rotors and brakelines.
and now I get this "clunk" sound whenever i brake. it kind of sounds exactly like "clunk" like a rod or metal suddenly slipping out of its place.
It is noticeably coming from the front passenger wheel. It never used to be that way before the rotor, pad and ss line change.
I noticed that when I steadily knock on the wheel(tire) i can hear a kind of metal vibrating sound somewhere in the rotor/brake/caliper area. When i knock on the other wheel(driver side), it was firm and there was no sound coming from it.
My buddie is going to come and re-check the install on tuesday but i just wanted to see if anyone had any comments. I searched the forums but could not duplicate the situation through the search function.
I did read on the internet that sounds like that arise from a part of the caliper/ rotor/ brake not re-installed back tightly or correctly. could it be the caliper shifting or the pads not tight enough?
If i brake slowly and come to a steady stop wthout pushing the pedal to the limit, it does not occur.But when i brake like immediatley or to a complete stop it occcurs.
Besides that everything is perfect and i got the HUGE brake difference i was looking for from the rotors/pads/SS lines upgrade.
But this sound makes me think something is about to crack or break from how it sounds.
please advise guys
thanks
olddog
hey olddog, i just ran into this thread of yours and i couldnt be happier. My 16 LS is Doing the same thing and all the lexus techs is saying that is normal. I will take it to midas tomorrow to see if that is the case. It is bothering the crap out of me. Everytime i step on the brakes, either forward or reverse, the clunk is there so i hope this will take care of it
Old 02-15-20, 04:16 PM
EuroWill
Pit Crew

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by jdang0118
hey olddog, i just ran into this thread of yours and i couldnt be happier. My 16 LS is Doing the same thing and all the lexus techs is saying that is normal. I will take it to midas tomorrow to see if that is the case. It is bothering the crap out of me. Everytime i step on the brakes, either forward or reverse, the clunk is there so i hope this will take care of it
Just wondering, why would you trust Midas over Lexus techs?

Will
Old 02-15-20, 04:52 PM
jdang0118
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by EuroWill
Just wondering, why would you trust Midas over Lexus techs?

Will

here is the exact reason why.
lexus techs relies on “codes” that may or may not appear in their techstream system so therefore they can not fix the issue. A midas tech or an outside tech uses his or her eyes, and hands to diagnose any issues that may be present, and that is exactly what happened today.
i took my ls to firestone and paid them to do an inspection to see what’s going on with my car. An hour after i got there, they found the reason for the clunking sound is the back control arms are bad as well as the bushings. They also found that my front shocks are leaking, and my radiator hose as well. Do keep in my that i had my car in a lexus dealership to diagnose the issues. I had an experience tech, 2 service managers that has been with lexus for more than 20 years told me that it is normal characteristic of an ls460.
Also, that “world class inspection” from lexus did not detect the radiator leak that has been going on.
See picture below for the diagnose at firestone