Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.
View Poll Results: What coilovers should i go with?
JIC Magic FLT; Spring rates: 12kg/7kg
34.88%
TEIN SS; Spring Rates: 9kg/9kg
39.53%
Megan; Spring rates: 12kg/8kg
4.65%
Other Please specify
20.93%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

decisions on what coilovers to go with

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-08, 07:52 PM
SeOuLiS250
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

is every coilover EDFC compatible??

i'm sorry but, how is coilover different from air?
Old 05-09-08, 09:57 PM
ba-b4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SeOuLiS250

i'm sorry but, how is coilover different from air?
I would also know about air suspension compared to coilovers.. I currently think that coilovers are a real suspension system designed to be adjustable and provide the best HANDLING characteristics. Air suspension is mainly something from the lowrider scene and for appearance more than anything else. Since they're adjustable air shocks instead of proper springs and coils the handling is probably pretty bad and I'm guessing floaty but they let you lower the car real low and give you that slammed look easily. Am I right or totally off base?
Old 05-10-08, 07:56 AM
Giggity
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ba-b4
Air suspension is mainly something from the lowrider scene and for appearance more than anything else. Since they're adjustable air shocks instead of proper springs and coils the handling is probably pretty bad and I'm guessing floaty but they let you lower the car real low and give you that slammed look easily. Am I right or totally off base?
Close- It's true that air suspensions became the suspension of choice among the lowrider guys, but it is growing in popularity with the g-machine muscle car guys. There are some companies that are building some very competetive and capable air ride systems that handle better than a conventional coilover- check out praxxis.
They're also a lot easier to adjust ride hide, push of a button, instead of having to get dirty manually adjusting. The draw-back is the price.
Old 06-15-08, 02:03 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,067 Likes on 2,464 Posts

Originally Posted by Giggity
Close- It's true that air suspensions became the suspension of choice among the lowrider guys, but it is growing in popularity with the g-machine muscle car guys. There are some companies that are building some very competetive and capable air ride systems that handle better than a conventional coilover- check out praxxis.
They're also a lot easier to adjust ride hide, push of a button, instead of having to get dirty manually adjusting. The draw-back is the price.
The other drawback is air suspensions are inconsistent under heavy use. As the air heats, the spring rate changes and whatever you are using to adjust the air has to compensate. So there's a level of complexity needed that does not exist in conventional suspensions.