Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Front wheel bearing

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-07, 01:23 PM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sc250tt
im thinking you hear it and feel it .your light will be shipped today blizzy
good stuff.

NYLex...your description of the issue was really good. that helped me understand what a blown wheel bearing does much better.
Old 06-22-07, 01:28 PM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by Blizzy
good stuff.

NYLex...your description of the issue was really good. that helped me understand what a blown wheel bearing does much better.
A good way to understand what I'm talking about with the highway rotational sounds that happened when my rear bearing was shot is to say that it sounded like the wheel was loose. It was a very fast paced rotational noise, really sounds just like the wheel is loose. BUT a way to know that the wheel is NOT loose (other than checking lugnuts) is to know that a loose wheel will cause massive vibrations in your steering wheel. I had no vibrations in the steering wheel, but it really did sound like the wheel was loose.

I'm outta the office for now, going home. I'll try to grab that video of my front wheel bearing noises if I can find my camera before it gets dark. Stay tuned!
Old 06-22-07, 01:50 PM
sc250tt
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NYLexSC
Not really, on the highway I can't even tell that the bearing has gone bad (for the front one anyway, i can hear a slight howling noise in my cabin though). Everything feels normal on the highway.

Previously, when my rear one went bad, even on the highway I could tell. I could hear the clunking from the rear of the cabin when I let off the accelerator, and eventually as the condition worsened, I could feel the vibrations in the gas pedal from the rotational noises that I was then able to hear loud and clear even over my music inside the cabin at highway speeds and at lower speeds. At lower speeds it was a nasty grinding/scraping noise. Definitely noticeable.

aanother possible symptom of a bad wheel bearing is the loosening of the lugnuts on that particular wheel, but this doesn't occur too often.
ohh ok so im guess that rules out having a bad bearing .its probably my alingment .because i lowered the car it started feeling like this
Old 06-22-07, 02:25 PM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by sc250tt
ohh ok so im guess that rules out having a bad bearing .its probably my alingment .because i lowered the car it started feeling like this
yeah thats definitely what it is. I had the same issue after I dropped my car. At around 70mph, it would vibrate quite a bit. Still does to some effect, but after I got an alignment it was significantly improved. Get it done quick!

Just an update: Camera has no battery, waiting for it to charge and I'll take a video later tonite!
Old 06-22-07, 09:37 PM
Djdot2k
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im having the same issue, i replaced the hub took it in for an alignment + had the wheel balanced. this got rid of most of the noise, but i can still hear a lil bit of that dreaded howling. i think i might have a bent rim.