Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

How to eliminate ABS?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-07, 10:41 AM
SuperCoupe400
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default How to eliminate ABS?

I know what to unhook to do this (the sensor wire couplings running off the calipers, in the wheel wells). But will this cause my ABS light to come on (and stay on)?

Has anybody else disabled their ABS before? Any complications from doing so?

I'm considering doing it simply because the ABS actually makes emergency braking LESS safe for me. I almost got into an accident only 3-weeks after getting my car simply because (as someone made an illegal and totally unexpected left turn right in front of me) this freakin' ABS garbage wouldn't stop my car quickly enough - even though I was practically standing on my brake. The car finally stopped less than 3 inches from the front door panel of the turning car! This type of emergency braking was NEVER a problem in my non-ABS Acura Integra. Besides, anyone who knows how to properly use brakes, doesn't have problems with them locking up anyway. Kinda' like all the other safe-handling technology they're putting on cars these days that are really designed for people who just don't know how to handle their cars in the first place - stability control, super-advanced anti-skid traction control systems, etc. Well, enough ranting.

ABS is fine to have when driving on ice and snow, but in regular driving conditions it's made the hair on the back of my neck stand up on more than one ocassion just hoping the brakes stop me before what i'm about to run into does.
Old 06-07-07, 10:45 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by 3Dhaus
I know what to unhook to do this (the sensor wire couplings running off the calipers, in the wheel wells). But will this cause my ABS light to come on (and stay on)?

I'm considering doing it simply because the ABS actually makes emergency braking LESS safe for me. I almost got into an accident only 3-weeks after getting my car simply because (as someone made an illegal and totally unexpected left turn right in front of me) this freakin' ABS garbage wouldn't stop my car quickly enough - even though I was practically standing on my brake. The car finally stopped less than 3 inches from the front door panel of the turning car! This type of emergency braking was NEVER a problem in my non-ABS Acura Integra. Besides, anyone who knows how to properly use brakes, doesn't have problems with them locking up anyway. Kinda' like all the other safe-handling technology they're putting on cars these days that are really designed for people who just don't know how to handle their cars in the first place - stability control, super-advanced anti-skid traction control systems, etc. Well, enough ranting.

ABS is fine to have when driving on ice and snow, but in regular driving conditions it's made the hair on the back of my neck stand up on more than one ocassion just hoping the brakes stop me before what i'm about to run into does.
I hate to say it, but without ABS, you wouldn't have been three inches from the car, you would have hit it... hard...

it has been proven time and time again that ANY AND EVERY CAR stops faster and in less distance with ABS versus without... If you would like to disable it, you can, pull the fuse... if you don't like the light, pull the instrument cluster and pull the light out...

I HIGHLY recommend against this... and I'll find some proof for ya here in a second...
Old 06-07-07, 10:50 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

here's a nice quote I pulled from http://community.discovery.com/eve/f...6/m/5541923238

People continue to argue against ABS and follow-on systems. They beleive that a computer has taken control of their vehicle. What is happening is the ABS system assists the driver in maintaining control of the vehicle in harsher conditions (more traffic, higher speeds, tighter lanes and so on).

As far as removing the fuse from an ABS system, you had best hope that nothing bad ever happens as a result of this. Let's talk lawyers for a moment (civil lawyers, people I have had to deal with professionally from time to time). Imagine trying to explain to a lawyer why you removed a critical part of the braking system.

Now imagine having to explain that removal in front of a jury. Heck, let's make it a criminal trial, you had an accident and someone was injured or killed. Now, just try and explain what exactly qualifies you as a driver to disable a safety system placed in a vehicle for your own and other's safety.

Imagine those questions shall we? "Please sir, explain exactly what training you have received in engineering, driving, road construction, traffic flow, or vehicle design that qualified you to remove this component from operation?" "What did you do to prevent that accident? How did you intend to avoid an accident when you KNOWLINGLY (lawyers love to yell in courtrooms BTW) removed a critical safety device from the vehicle?"

The questions can go on and on, but you get the picture. Intentionally removing a fuse from an ABS system which results in injury or death could be construed as a premeditated act. If you think I am reaching, you haven't spent much time in courtrooms.
Old 06-07-07, 11:15 AM
sc250tt
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 3Dhaus

its a bad idea to disable your ABS .the integra you had weighed half of what the sc weight without ABS you will be sliding into cars instead of stopping inches away from them
Old 06-07-07, 11:29 AM
gwong
Rookie

Where do people get this idea that abs is suppose to stop quicker or shorten braking distance? The abs system in your car is to prevent your vehicle from locking up under hard braking, so you can still have control of your vehicle. Under lockup, you have no control. In other words, abs may be an acronym for anti-lock brakes, but it can also mean "ability to brake and steer".
The abs system did its job,so you could have steered around the other vehicle if it was safe to do so.
Old 06-07-07, 11:44 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by gwong
Where do people get this idea that abs is suppose to stop quicker or shorten braking distance? The abs system in your car is to prevent your vehicle from locking up under hard braking, so you can still have control of your vehicle. Under lockup, you have no control. In other words, abs may be an acronym for anti-lock brakes, but it can also mean "ability to brake and steer".
The abs system did its job,so you could have steered around the other vehicle if it was safe to do so.
Even the most primitive ABS system is able to modulate braking pressure 3 times per second. More advanced are 15 times per second or better.

ABS = anti-lock braking system - that is the acronym as said by NHTSA...

Here's the scoop on straight line braking - unless the coefficient of friction of a locked up tire is more than the coefficient of friction of a turning tire, you will always be able to stop faster with ABS than without.

Reasoning - the maximum traction afforded by a tire is given while it is turning (on most surfaces at least), so, no matter what you do not want to lock up the tires when stopping. If a tire does lock up, who do you think is the better controller of the lockup - you or a computer that is able to react up to 15 times per second?

The problem is, half the people on the road don't know how to drive with ABS, 'cause it's not the same. If you release brake pressure (try to modulate yourself), you work against the ABS system and it does take longer to stop. If you HAVE to stop in the absolute quickest time, 100% brake pressure, ABS and all until the car is at it's final speed or stopped is the fastest, shortest stopping distance.

Here's a graph from 1996 Transportation Research Center that proves this
Taken from: http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/pdf/nrd...16/98S2P18.PDF
Attached Thumbnails How to eliminate ABS?-abs.jpg  
Old 06-08-07, 07:27 AM
SuperCoupe400
Intermediate

Well, guess I can't argue with test reports and such.

But, it's just that I was only going about 20mph. In such an instance I don't care what any tests say, I could have stopped shorter myself. I've driven heavier cars than the SC without ABS and a 20mph stop (on dry, even pavement) should never have taken as long as it did then. 18 years of driving experience tells me I could have done it in shorter distance - without locking the brakes.

I seriously doubt I'll be disabling it though. I don't like the thought of the judge and jury mentioned in the first reply.

Besides keeping my brake fluid changed on a yearly basis and switching to braded brake lines, though, how else can I tighten up the brake pedal feel? Cause this soft-touch, 'stop-in-half-a-city-block', bull**** brake pedal is the one thing that has always pissed me off about this car.
Old 06-08-07, 07:41 AM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 391 Likes on 271 Posts

I've driven heavier cars than the SC without ABS and a 20mph stop (on dry, even pavement) should never have taken as long as it did then...how else can I tighten up the brake pedal feel?
did you ever stop and think that maybe the brakes that came factory on the SC400 are not really adequate for the size and weight of this car? The SC400 are a little bigger than the brakes on the SC300, which are really just not good at all (in my experience anyway). I feel the brakes on these cars should have been bigger to begin with. Maybe you should consider upgrading your brakes, nothing will help you stop quicker more than that. If you don't want to go bigger, at least you can change out your rotors to something cross drilled/slotted. That will help also.

I seriously doubt I'll be disabling it though. I don't like the thought of the judge and jury mentioned in the first reply.
smart move! You never know, even if someone else hits you, this could come back to haunt you!
Old 06-08-07, 07:48 AM
sc250tt
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by NYLexSC
did you ever stop and think that maybe the brakes that came factory on the SC400 are not really adequate for the size and weight of this car? The SC400 are a little bigger than the brakes on the SC300, which are really just not good at all (in my experience anyway). I feel the brakes on these cars should have been bigger to begin with. Maybe you should consider upgrading your brakes, nothing will help you stop quicker more than that. If you don't want to go bigger, at least you can change out your rotors to something cross drilled/slotted. That will help also.

smart move! You never know, even if someone else hits you, this could come back to haunt you!
to tell you the truth ive owned 2 sc400's and none of them can stop like my sc300 .the brakes is smaller but yet it works better
Old 06-08-07, 07:56 AM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

hmm well i've never driven a 400 so I can't really compare, I just figured with the larger rotors the stopping power would be greater, but maybe they are not big enough to compensate for the added weight of the V8. But the 300, compared to most coupes of comparable weight, have pretty inadequate brakes. I am constantly tempted to upgrade them simply because they don't provide enough stopping power and at times makes me feel uncomfortable, but all said and done they haven't posed any real threat to me since I've just increased my following distance to reduce the hazard.
Old 06-08-07, 08:00 AM
SuperCoupe400
Intermediate

[QUOTE=NYLexSC;2678682]did you ever stop and think that maybe the brakes that came factory on the SC400 are not really adequate for the size and weight of this car? ...Maybe you should consider upgrading your brakes, nothing will help you stop quicker more than that. ...QUOTE]

Hey, aren't the Supra brake components interchangeable with the SC4? I assume the rotors are bigger, hence, I'd need to upgrade my calipers too.
Old 06-08-07, 08:29 AM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

yeah you can put Supra TT brakes into your SC! The rotors and calipers are bigger, and you will need wheels that clear big brakes (high disk fitment). Another option is to go with a 1995+ LS400 brake upgrade. Those rotors are almost the same size as the TT rotors, and they are cheaper and I want to say lighter also but provide really excellent stopping power. If you want testimonials about the LS brakes, contact "one_hot" or "rising_sun".. they both have that upgrade. Again, you would need high disk wheels also.
Old 06-08-07, 09:26 AM
SuperCoupe400
Intermediate

This is a great forum. Thanks, guys, for all your immediate feedback. It's nice knowing I'll almost always get replies within an hour of posting here.
Old 06-08-07, 09:31 AM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

yup generally speaking we've got really quick responses

if you post a thread at night though you are less likely to get an immediate response, but give it 12 hours and you will have a reply and usually more than one reply 100% of the time
Old 06-08-07, 10:04 AM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sc250tt
to tell you the truth ive owned 2 sc400's and none of them can stop like my sc300 .the brakes is smaller but yet it works better
That makes no sense and is inaccurate. The models are identical. It is utterly illogical to state that the 300 with smaller brakes would stop better. Perhaps the brakes on your 400's were in less than optimal condition.

Originally Posted by NYlexSC
but maybe they are not big enough to compensate for the added weight of the V8.
This is where the misconception lies. The 1UZ is actually lighter than the 2JZ. Aluminum vs Iron. 400's may weigh 100-200 lbs more due to other extras, but not enough to make any difference. Hence why some 300 owners replaced their calipers and rotors with those from the 400.

Quick Reply: How to eliminate ABS?