Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Brake pad life expectancy

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-07 | 08:46 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

If you are killing your pads in 10k, let me know where you drive. I don't want to be anywhere near you. Either you drive with one foot on the brake and the other on the gas, or you accelerate very hard and stop very hard every 1/4 mile. In either case, if you are on a public road, I would not like to be around you. Much like the idiot driving the M3 southbound on I-5 the last time I went to SoCal. His brake lights were on for over 30 miles. His rotors were a dull red at night. He probably wonders why BMW put such poor brakes on his car because he's too stupid to realize he's causing the whole problem.

Here's what I think:

10k - driving with both feet pressed hard on both pedals
15k - only slightly smarter
20k - track days ate up your pads
30k - you brake hard and often
40k - average mostly city driver
50k - average mostly highway driver who commutes
80k - almost all highway driver who knows how to use brakes effectively and does so.
100k - you never speed, you never drive more than a mile on city streets, you plan your stops well in advance and let the car coast more than you ever brake.

Last edited by lobuxracer; 07-11-07 at 09:28 AM.
Old 07-11-07 | 09:22 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
His brake lights were on for over 30 miles. His rotors were a dull red at night. He probably wonders why BMW put such poor brakes on his car because he's too stupid to realize he's causing the whole problem.
Maybe he thought that was the SMG pedal
Old 07-12-07 | 06:26 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion
CL Folding 1M

If you are killing your pads in 10k, let me know where you drive. I don't want to be anywhere near you. Either you drive with one foot on the brake and the other on the gas, or you accelerate very hard and stop very hard every 1/4 mile. In either case, if you are on a public road, I would not like to be around you. Much like the idiot driving the M3 southbound on I-5 the last time I went to SoCal. His brake lights were on for over 30 miles. His rotors were a dull red at night. He probably wonders why BMW put such poor brakes on his car because he's too stupid to realize he's causing the whole problem.

Here's what I think:

10k - driving with both feet pressed hard on both pedals
20k - track days ate up your pads
30k - you brake hard and often
40k - average mostly city driver
50k - average mostly highway driver who commutes
80k - almost all highway driver who knows how to use brakes effectively and does so.
100k - you never speed, you never drive more than a mile on city streets, you plan your stops well in advance and let the car coast more than you ever brake.
We should see if there is a direct correlation between pad life and average MPG
Old 07-12-07 | 11:15 PM
al503
Lexus Champion

LOL!

FWIW, I fall closest to the 80K miles and the description is pretty good. I also never speed unless I'm POSITIVE I can get away with it. It seems like every inch of highway is 'under construction' whether it's under construction or not and that doubles the fine.
Old 07-13-07 | 06:44 AM
Rickster31
Pole Position

Well I was basing the 10k on my 350z racing pads, which were by Hawk. They lasted about 12k miles, and I took it to the track twice. Maybe the IS had better brake pad life than the 350Z
Old 07-30-07 | 02:04 PM
rmargiotta
Driver School Candidate

My '07 350 was just taken in for its 20k service today had 3mm of pad left, and I swear I get the worst brake dust ever. I never took it to the track, and spend most of my time on the highway.

I came from a '00 Tundra that I replaced the rotors at around 70-80k and had two sets of pads on it for that same duration... I'm not going to lie, I wasn't exactly 'easy' on the either of the pedals, haha, I just don't understand a full size pickup which was usually full of rc racing gear or a dirt bike, the brakes would last longer...

Is there a performance pad that anybody recommends, with low dust and wear?
Old 08-08-07 | 08:49 PM
JDKane527
Lexus Champion
CL Folding 25,000

With the OEM brake pads, how long have you guys gone before they started squeaking?
Old 08-08-07 | 09:10 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

I have 33k on my car and I have yet to hear them squeak. I switched to the TSIB pads at about 21k miles. Still quiet by any standard.

Last edited by lobuxracer; 08-08-07 at 09:43 PM.
Old 08-08-07 | 09:30 PM
gshb
Lead Lap

had over 25k on original pads before switching to TSIB pads. after 3k miles and a track day they still look almost new.
Old 08-16-07 | 12:10 AM
thasthat
Driver School Candidate

My brake pads have been squeeking since almost day one. It sounds awfully annoying and every time I go to get a service, the service writer tells me that my brake pads are still good and says that the squeeking is due to the "metal content." Is this true? Or is he just saying that because I'm a girl?
Old 08-16-07 | 02:09 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

You're getting a BS line. They should not squeak.
Old 08-16-07 | 03:43 PM
rmargiotta
Driver School Candidate

After talking with the Dealer two days ago to hear everything straight from the 'horses mouth' the TSB on brakes are as follows:
IS250: TSB for brake squeak/noise
IS350: TSB for brake dust

Thasthat, if you have a 250 that have been squeaking for some time, tell the salesman to get off of his butt and look it up... Who knows about the girl thing, I'm a 22 y/o guy and I think I get the same treatment... ...Oh this kid doesn't know anything... This is like with my IS350, at my 15k service, I told them my brakes squeak and as the service rep was walking away looked over his shoulder saying it could just be the weather, and whelp what do you know, came in for my 20k service, oh Mr. Margiotta, we need to replace your pads...........
Old 08-16-07 | 04:17 PM
thasthat
Driver School Candidate

ha ha. alrite, thanks for the advice! Dealership is ordering my brakes now and its under warranty.
Old 08-17-07 | 07:54 PM
ajmtbm
Pole Position

My opinion:

the magazines drive the cars for many miles over a short period of time. which means a lot of highwy miles / little use of brakes.
then they meassure the pads and extrapolate.
this is nowhere near really useful information
Old 08-17-07 | 08:20 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by rmargiotta
After talking with the Dealer two days ago to hear everything straight from the 'horses mouth' the TSB on brakes are as follows:
IS250: TSB for brake squeak/noise
IS350: TSB for brake dust

Thasthat, if you have a 250 that have been squeaking for some time, tell the salesman to get off of his butt and look it up... Who knows about the girl thing, I'm a 22 y/o guy and I think I get the same treatment... ...Oh this kid doesn't know anything... This is like with my IS350, at my 15k service, I told them my brakes squeak and as the service rep was walking away looked over his shoulder saying it could just be the weather, and whelp what do you know, came in for my 20k service, oh Mr. Margiotta, we need to replace your pads...........
Almost. There is a TSIB (BR001-07) specifically for the '06 & '07 250 for brake squeak. It covers the low dust pads and a splotch of grease on the back of the pads to prevent noise.

The other TSIB (BR002-06) is comprehensive - it covers ’06 – ’07 GS 430 & IS 250/350 & ’07 GS 350/450h. It only replaces the pads with a low dust pad to resolve complaints about brake dust.

So, it's an either or situation. A 250 could have dust and squeaking, but it will only get TSIB service once for this problem.

Quick Reply: Brake pad life expectancy