Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Brake pad life expectancy

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-07, 10:04 AM
gtr022001
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Speaking of squeaks, getting my IS250 serviced today at Longo (45K on the car)... Finally, after almost 2 yrs of putting up with this non sense. Yay!
Old 08-19-07, 09:57 PM
JDKane527
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The brakes squeal sometimes when I back it into my garage, but when they do it's pretty bad. I've driven my 250 rather aggressively through areas where I nkow there are no cops...unfortunately I wasn't the other day and there was a cop when I was going with the flow of traffic. Damn flashy car... haha Everyone else had a crappy car around me and the cop pulled me out of everyone. Used engine braking through canyons, but then regular braking when needed. I have a little over 4500 miles on it, and I'm bringing it in early for the 5k service and also the TSIB, so that everything is okay before I go to school. The dust isn't so much a problem, I clean the wheels every week or so, and try to wash the car once every three weeks or so.
Old 08-20-07, 06:48 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by NGG
Car and Driver reported this month brake pad life expectancy of their longterm 06 BMW 330 at 100,000 miles. Here is a car with superior braking performance that co-exists with extended brake life. Why can't Lexus do the same? This is neither new technology or rocket science. Can't be because their dealers need the service work....maybe they do.

Where is this "superior braking performance"?

There is only a 2 foot difference between the 335i and the IS350 from 60 mph!
I have seen in a comparison where the IS braked better then the 330i. I know it FEELS superior!

Koz
Old 08-21-07, 01:28 PM
rmargiotta
Driver School Candidate

It really depends on the surface, the slicker the surface, the more even I think they would be, as it would really depend on tires and ABS system... But if there's a lot of grip and it take more of the tire out of the 'equation' you would be able to better compare the braking system, if that makes sense, but I'll probably be corrected for making too simple of a statement again, haha.........
Old 08-21-07, 02:25 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,989 Likes on 2,414 Posts

It ALWAYS depends on the tires. Brakes don't stop the car. Say that 1000 times. Brakes don't stop the car. The ONLY discriminator is how well the tires grip the road surface. You can never "take the tire out of the 'equation'" because stopping distance is completely dependent on the tire road interface. There are no exceptions.

This is why so many road tests are apples and oranges. One manufacturer specifies a tire that works well at the testing venue, the other specs a tire not as well suited to the surface. Guess who wins? It shouldn't be hard. That same winner will do better in the slalom and on the skidpad.

I know from racing motorcycles that tires can make a 2 second per lap difference. The importance of good rubber cannot ever be overstated.

Anything else you play with in the braking system only changes the driver's feel. With modern ABS, feel is secondary, and as proof of this, modern brakes require far less pedal effort than brakes of the past. Why? Because lighter brakes that are limited by a good ABS system allow even the smallest and weakest of drivers to stop at the same rate as an NFL center with 40" thighs. When they mash on the brakes, ABS engages, and the stopping is all left to the computer.

This was not the case in years past because feel was critical to getting the most out of the braking system, and training to feel impending lockup was fundamental to getting a car to slow quickly without locking the wheels (and losing control while the wheels are locked - ask Eddie Griffin about this....). So getting feel "right" was essential. It's just not true anymore unless you are removing your ABS.
Old 09-02-07, 03:20 PM
Gtidan
Lead Lap

100,000 mile brake pads............in your dreams....for any car

My friend's BMW 525i has never got more than 15,000 miles before having to change them out.

I have gotten 40,000 on two of my past rides......both Honda Accords. I managed 30,000 miles for the front pads on my 'benz' and 40,000 on the rear pads.
Old 01-31-08, 07:38 AM
jjohur
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs down

Had my pads replaced at 15K. Unbelievable to say the least! I "downshift" and drive with the shifter/pads 99% of the time. ( I had the Infiniti G35 6MT before with manual shift - lot's of fun). I didn't have to replace pads until 30k with the Infiniti. There's obviously something not "kosher" with these Lexus pads to say the least. I'm very disappointed with Lexus at this point and was expecting much much more. My 350 is a wonderful car but it's also got the worst fit-and-finish in any car I have had (excluding my Pontiac). The rattles, squeeks, pops and other strange sounds are just ridiculous. I'm never buying another Lexus ...
Old 01-31-08, 08:24 AM
DaWhole9
Pole Position

Its how you drive....In my last car a 99 Carrera, I changed the pads ONCE in 100,000 miles of driving...when sold, the pads were still very good.....