Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

my TRD sway bars installation + experience (many pics)

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-07, 12:04 AM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mrurmil
I thought alignment is not necessary after new sway bars?
It's not.

I just did it because I noticed how bad the alignment was in the front.
Old 07-14-07, 11:28 AM
LexFather

Great pics and write-up, I agree with you 100%!!
Old 07-14-07, 05:22 PM
Lexizm
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is a great write up. I'm going to use this when or if I decide to go with the other TRD sway bars.
Old 07-28-07, 06:03 PM
2001GS430
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice write up!!
I followed the instruction and installed TRD swap bar and endlinks today. The car feels like a new car. I can make tight turns faster with more confidence. One of my friend who has Mazda Speed6 even said he feel more control in my GS430 than his Speed6. Swap bars are the only thing I changed, I still have the stock tire(16") and suspension components. The next thing is to get a better tire, and that will inprove the handling even more.
Again, thank you GlobalCLK for the instruction.
Old 08-07-07, 12:49 AM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2001GS430
Nice write up!!
I followed the instruction and installed TRD swap bar and endlinks today. The car feels like a new car. I can make tight turns faster with more confidence. One of my friend who has Mazda Speed6 even said he feel more control in my GS430 than his Speed6. Swap bars are the only thing I changed, I still have the stock tire(16") and suspension components. The next thing is to get a better tire, and that will inprove the handling even more.
Again, thank you GlobalCLK for the instruction.
glad I could help. and congrats on your new parts.
Old 08-30-07, 07:13 PM
GSquicksilver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

hey globe, did you ever use any loctite on the endlinks?
Old 08-30-07, 07:58 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

When I had my TRD installed, I never had to use loctite.

For the Daizen however, I had to because the nut would keep on falling off. In fact, the manual even states to use loctite.

It probably has to do with the way the endlink was positioned. I did not like the Daizen design at all.
Old 08-30-07, 10:25 PM
GSquicksilver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
When I had my TRD installed, I never had to use loctite.

For the Daizen however, I had to because the nut would keep on falling off. In fact, the manual even states to use loctite.

It probably has to do with the way the endlink was positioned. I did not like the Daizen design at all.
cool. i'm gonna install the TRD blue's tomorrow. just wanted to make sure if i needed any, cuz i figure, the oem's and the trd's are pretty much the same shape, except that the trd's are thicker and heavier. the oem's never had loctite in the first place.
Old 09-03-07, 11:47 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GSquicksilver
cool. i'm gonna install the TRD blue's tomorrow. just wanted to make sure if i needed any, cuz i figure, the oem's and the trd's are pretty much the same shape, except that the trd's are thicker and heavier. the oem's never had loctite in the first place.
Sorry I didn't check this thread for a while.

Like GSteg said, I didn't use loctite either. Nothing extra needed for installation. I don't know if it'll help, but it's certainly not required.
Old 01-17-08, 04:15 PM
LexFather

Well I had my sways sitting around and wanted to put them in before my IS-F drive this weekend. VVTi was in IS-F/LX 570 training so I searched this thread and remembered watching his install as well.

I'm happy to say I did it in 2 1/2 hours by myself!! Thanks Ray, the pics were great.

This is my 2nd set of TRD sways and its like dating an old friend again. I love it.

My big suggestion, if you do it by yourself, have some additional jack stands to put the blue TRD sway bar on when you take off the old bar and install the new one. That helped make it a breeze.

Damn beer and text messaging made my time slower, lol
Old 01-18-08, 05:37 AM
LexFather

Oh, I did put tons of WD40 on the bushings and used some of the grease on the old bushing and put it on the new ones.
Old 01-18-08, 08:28 AM
400DGRZ
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

I had my blue TRD sways put on this past week as well at a local shop. Took them about 30 min on the lift. Well worth it for me b/c I didnt have the time.

But wow, I love these TRD sways. Not as harsh as everyone said, although I do have a softer coilover setup. I can tell a little difference though, but I LOVE it! IMO the stiff sways and comfy coilovers are a perfect match.

Also installed the Daizen steering rack bushings, front lower ball joints, SRT intake/ecu, and alignment. Talk about a new car....
Old 01-18-08, 08:55 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Yup. The talk about the TRD being too stiff is blown out of proportion. Makes me think most people are too use to driving old school cadillacs or something
Old 01-18-08, 11:28 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

glad that the pics helped Mike!

When I installed them, I made one mistake: didn't have any grease to put on. The set didn't come with any. I figured that I'll just do it later when it squeaks.

Well after about 3 months of driving, the rear bars started to squeak.

I jacked up my car last month, loosened the bushings and added grease around the bushing. the squeaking was gone for a while, but now it's back again. I will take them off completely next time to apply grease.

so, don't forget to add grease. You will regret it if you don't.
Old 01-20-08, 06:11 PM
Tank
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 57 Posts

wow nice, very nice..

Quick Reply: my TRD sway bars installation + experience (many pics)