Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Brake TSIB story

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-07, 09:56 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by NGG
It is TSB2203, dated june 02, 2006.
Sorry theres a newer one:
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
L-BR002-06.pdf (18.5 KB, 265 views)
Old 07-17-07, 10:04 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,024 Likes on 2,439 Posts

Originally Posted by llamaboiz
Sorry theres a newer one:
No, one is Canadian, the other is US. US TSIBs have a completely different numbering scheme.
Old 07-20-07, 07:14 PM
ajmtbm
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1. can one expect longer or shorter pad life with the low dust pads?

2. can one expect longer or shorter rotor life with the low dust pads?
Old 08-10-07, 08:49 PM
AgBlue
Pole Position

I called my Lexus dealer here in Houston today.

I told him how i read there was a TSIB on replacing the front brake pads on my IS350 and that I wanted it done.

He told me it would have to depend on how much wear there is on the pads (no more than 50% wear, but then he said about 5mm lefts). He told me I could bring it it to take a look, or i can check myself and call him back.

Being that I just brought my car in for the 30,000 mile oil change, and inspection, they stated I had about 3mm lefts.

Am I out of luck? Or should I try another Lexus dealer ship? Is there anything I should say if the other dealership says the same thing to me?
Old 08-10-07, 10:37 PM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AgBlue
I called my Lexus dealer here in Houston today.

I told him how i read there was a TSIB on replacing the front brake pads on my IS350 and that I wanted it done.

He told me it would have to depend on how much wear there is on the pads (no more than 50% wear, but then he said about 5mm lefts). He told me I could bring it it to take a look, or i can check myself and call him back.

Being that I just brought my car in for the 30,000 mile oil change, and inspection, they stated I had about 3mm lefts.

Am I out of luck? Or should I try another Lexus dealer ship? Is there anything I should say if the other dealership says the same thing to me?
He absolutely should cover it for you, if he doesn't tell him you just learned there was a fix to the brake dust, and had you known about the fix sooner, you'd have done it then! If he doesn't budge call 800-25-Lexus and file a complaint with them!

Please keep us posted!
Old 08-10-07, 10:48 PM
AgBlue
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ES3
He absolutely should cover it for you, if he doesn't tell him you just learned there was a fix to the brake dust, and had you known about the fix sooner, you'd have done it then! If he doesn't budge call 800-25-Lexus and file a complaint with them!

Please keep us posted!
Yeah, I had really just found out about this thing last night. I have done service with the guy before, he's the service manager there. Seems like a nice guy and won an award for top national service manager.

Maybe I will call another dealer first and see what the others say before going back to my usual dealer. I'll keep you all posted.

Any thing else I should say to them?
Old 08-11-07, 07:43 AM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by AgBlue

Any thing else I should say to them?
Yes, tell them that no where in the TSIB info that you discovered does it say anything about how much pad must be left for the replacement to be done. Tell them it only mentions that the swap can be done on cars within the 4 year 50k warranty.

I don't have the TSIB link right now, but I've seen it.
Old 08-11-07, 08:11 AM
JoesIS250
Driver

i got this tsib done a few weeks ago and all i can say is WOW how i wish i had gotten it done sooner the brakes IMO feels the same and hey after 19000 miles i get new pads so i killed two birds with oen stone ??!! the dust has decreased dramtaically. as we all have experienced cleanign our car then going on a short drive ( 40 miles? ) then bam my front wheels are darker than my rear ones uughhhhhh. well now even after something like 200 plus miles they both look the same so thats something one can relate to im sure. so anyone who has not gotten this yet do yourself a favor and make that appointment. ohh fyi the dealer i went to had no questions about changing the pads. they simply said come on in
Old 08-11-07, 08:29 AM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by JoesIS250
i got this tsib done a few weeks ago and all i can say is WOW how i wish i had gotten it done sooner the brakes IMO feels the same and hey after 19000 miles i get new pads so i killed two birds with oen stone ??!! the dust has decreased dramtaically. as we all have experienced cleanign our car then going on a short drive ( 40 miles? ) then bam my front wheels are darker than my rear ones uughhhhhh. well now even after something like 200 plus miles they both look the same so thats something one can relate to im sure. so anyone who has not gotten this yet do yourself a favor and make that appointment. ohh fyi the dealer i went to had no questions about changing the pads. they simply said come on in
That's great news! BTW, any idea how much pad life you had left on the high friction pads at time of swap?

Also, anyone know if they let you keep the old pads?
Old 08-11-07, 12:29 PM
JoesIS250
Driver

sorry i never asked my advisor how much was left and honestly i didnt care since i had braaaand new ones though not for nothing it wouldve been a good question so perhaps the next member going to the dealership can ask. im sure it wouldnt have been a problem with my advisor to had let me known that and im sure it wouldve been okay to have gotten the old ones ...im sure they simply chucked it away anyways.
Old 08-13-07, 12:35 PM
tmag
Pole Position

Well I hope mine goes as smooth as most have posted.... still waiting for the brake pads, 3 week and counting.
Old 08-13-07, 01:58 PM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ajmtbm

I second this question... couldn't find much via a search.
Old 08-13-07, 03:00 PM
murph550
Driver

My experience with the tsib went just as smoothly, and I had 15500 miles on the car, they replaced the pads and machined the rotors no questions asked.
Old 08-13-07, 03:35 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,024 Likes on 2,439 Posts

Originally Posted by ajmtbm

It appears the rotors may wear faster, but I have to measure to be sure. I probably won't get to it for awhile though, too many other irons in the fire right now. I'll check the pad wear at the same time. I've had them on for about 13,000 miles and I measured the rotors right after the replacement pads went in so I could check rotor wear.
Old 08-13-07, 08:00 PM
ub2slow
Rookie

What is the TBIS and this brake thing? I have no clue what you are talking about or what TBIS even stands for. Only thing my dealer told me is to go through the back of the book and check how I want things set and they will take care of it for me at my first oil change.

Quick Reply: Brake TSIB story