Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Looking for near stock ride quality

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-07, 03:42 PM
Rondawg
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Looking for near stock ride quality

Could you guys give me some of your opinions on the following set ups. I'm looking for ride quality over anything else, this car will never be my track car. Comfort is what I'm looking for while lowering the car a bit.

1. Tein Basic
2. Tein SS
3. Bilsteins/Swift springs
4. KYB AGX or Gas Adjust/Swift Springs
Old 07-24-07, 06:12 PM
J:M
Pole Position

Have you searched? I assume not because there's this was 2 threads below your previous thread about Supra shocks. May not fully answer your question, but there's bits in there that's gems of knowledge.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=143798

Read the link below so you can have an enjoyable stay at Club Lexus. =)

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=266465
Old 07-24-07, 07:32 PM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love my Swifts. The springs are top of the world in quality. I am glad I purchased the Illuminas to have had the chance to dial in my shock settings to maximize all of the variables.

Given that you are considering the Tein SS (which run like $950), might I suggest H&R Coilovers. They are definitely German, which is blasphemy to some for me even mentioning this. But, they are remarkably good quality coils with forgiving springs. Allsprings.com has the best prices on all H&R stuff. I believe they run $1030, and I have only read good reviews from Supra guys.

Ultimately, I could not justify the $3-400 extra to go with H&R coilovers for the height adjustability when I knew I would be dropping to one height, aligning the vehicle, and calling it a day. I would rather have a top of the line shock/spring combo than a modest coilover set up.
Old 07-24-07, 08:08 PM
TheMole
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

As usual, Blizzy is the man with his informative posts.
I'm still waiting for my Swift springs to come in so that I can pair them up with the Bilsteins. I'll let you guys know how the ride is. In case you consider Tein springs, you should rule out the Tein H-techs if you want a comfortable ride since the spring rates are linear rate of about f:600lbs/r:330lbs (~10.8/6kg). I have experience with these springs and the ride on bumpy roads is not very comfy at all.
Old 07-25-07, 07:02 AM
jefferino
Lead Lap

Buddy Club Race Spec Coilovers!

On full soft adjustment they are near stock, on fully hard they are like driving on rails!

PM me if you want more info and my friend can get a hookup for you as he did for me.
Old 07-25-07, 09:34 AM
Rondawg
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by J:M
Have you searched? I assume not because there's this was 2 threads below your previous thread about Supra shocks. May not fully answer your question, but there's bits in there that's gems of knowledge.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=143798

Read the link below so you can have an enjoyable stay at Club Lexus. =)

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=266465

Actually, I did and my eyes were hurting after I read through all the posts. Most of the replies skirts around the comfort issue mainly because they want their suspension to be more performance oriented. Obviously, that's not what I'm looking for. I know there has to be some people on here that had the same goal as I have when they were choosing a suspension setup, so I'm here soliciting their opinions.

However, thanks for taking time to link the 2 threads and not acting all high and mighty on the reply with only "It's called search..." or something along the line.
Old 07-25-07, 09:45 AM
Rondawg
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Blizzy
I love my Swifts. The springs are top of the world in quality. I am glad I purchased the Illuminas to have had the chance to dial in my shock settings to maximize all of the variables.

Given that you are considering the Tein SS (which run like $950), might I suggest H&R Coilovers. They are definitely German, which is blasphemy to some for me even mentioning this. But, they are remarkably good quality coils with forgiving springs. Allsprings.com has the best prices on all H&R stuff. I believe they run $1030, and I have only read good reviews from Supra guys.

Ultimately, I could not justify the $3-400 extra to go with H&R coilovers for the height adjustability when I knew I would be dropping to one height, aligning the vehicle, and calling it a day. I would rather have a top of the line shock/spring combo than a modest coilover set up.

Thanks Blizzy, I'm pretty much leaning toward the shock/spring combo at this moment and I'm set on using Swift springs. I'm just trying to decide on the struts. The Illuminas sound good and hopefully I can get some feedbacks on the Bilsteins which is what I'm leaning towards.

The Teins are out after speaking to a friend of mine with the SS w/EDFC on their 2nd gen GS4. Their SS has only been on the car for a little over a year and it's already falling apart, the 2 of the EDFC's motor quit working after 6 mos... Now, I don't know if that's a quality control issue or just installation issue, but I rather not find out with my own money. Anyhow, thanks for your feedback.

Anyone else?
Old 07-25-07, 11:12 AM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rondawg
Thanks Blizzy, I'm pretty much leaning toward the shock/spring combo at this moment and I'm set on using Swift springs. I'm just trying to decide on the struts. The Illuminas sound good and hopefully I can get some feedbacks on the Bilsteins which is what I'm leaning towards.
No problem man. From what I have read, the Bilsteins are definitely higher quality than the Tokicos, but -I believe- they lack the dampening adjustability. With the quality of the Swift springs, I promise you that dampening adjustment is not going to be a major issue. However, having had the adjustability, it is a fun perk of the Illuminas.

The Teins are out after speaking to a friend of mine with the SS w/EDFC on their 2nd gen GS4.
A number of people swear by Teins. But, I would steer away from their recently produced products. From what I have read, their older stuff (HA's and HE's) were bad ***. But, the newer stuff is very average.

Anyone else?
I am surprised that more people have not chimed in. I know there are a number of people who have looked for comfort out of their suspension with $1k or less in the budget.
Old 07-25-07, 11:19 AM
TheMole
Lexus Champion

Rondawg, if you are in SoCal you are welcome to take a ride in my car once I have the swift springs installed to feel how the ride is.
Old 07-25-07, 11:28 AM
Rondawg
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sc300max
Rondawg, if you are in SoCal you are welcome to take a ride in my car once I have the swift springs installed to feel how the ride is.
Thanks for the offer, I might just take you up on the it. Please keep me posted.
Old 07-26-07, 04:40 PM
TheMole
Lexus Champion

I just installed the Swifts with the Bilsteins. Initial impression is ride is alot smoother and more comfortable than compared to the Teins. I only drove it for about 30 minutes or so, but I compared them on the same bumpy roads and the Swifts are alot quieter and alot less bouncy. Well just let me know if you want to check them out.

-Mo
Old 08-02-07, 12:34 AM
Realfresh
Rookie

I probably remember wrong, but aren't there Tein CS for the SC?
Old 08-02-07, 01:24 AM
t70 supra
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

kyb adj with eibach