Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

[NEW] Tanabe Sustec Pro Five for IS250 and IS350

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-07, 10:10 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The helper springs are bandaids that are needed ONLY because they didn't design them for proper height adjustment. They do nothing other than "help" the springs stay in place when the suspension is at full droop and the spring perches are lowered beyond the length of the springs. If it were me, I would have waited for the SEVEN series.
Old 07-30-07, 11:32 AM
sincityIS
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They are called helper springs, right. They were on my KW Variant 3s on my S4. Those were a $2300 set of coilovers that were very high end. I don't think they jerry rig a set up like that to compensate for a spring that is too short. They would just cut longer springs. They keep preload on the coil and help slow rebound from what I have heard. They worked great when I had a similar setup.
Old 07-30-07, 11:39 AM
pocky
mooncake master

Looks great, let us know how the TEAS system is.

I'm thinking of switching..
Old 07-30-07, 01:05 PM
r100s
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gernby
The helper springs are bandaids that are needed ONLY because they didn't design them for proper height adjustment. They do nothing other than "help" the springs stay in place when the suspension is at full droop and the spring perches are lowered beyond the length of the springs. If it were me, I would have waited for the SEVEN series.

Yes, helper springs are designed to provide minimal effect on spring compression rate. Using helper springs allows the spring to stay firmly on its perch when the shock has negative or zero load. So for this Tanabe Five for ISX50 has the helper springs so that when you lower the ride height by turning the spring perches the springs will still in under load.

I apologize if I sounded like accusing you not knowing what helper springs are. What I all meant was that with the helper springs lowering adjustment wont be any problem since they will still hold the spring tensions.

No hard feeling~~
Old 07-30-07, 01:46 PM
tt061880
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

looks cool man, I almost got the Tanabe when I bought my coils. I don't know much about coils and most people I talked to recommended Tein. I wonder how the ride is on the TAnabe compare to Tein CS, I know the Tanabe has a stiffer spring rate compare to Tein. Can't wait for your reviews bro.
Old 07-30-07, 02:37 PM
r100s
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by pocky
Looks great, let us know how the TEAS system is.

I'm thinking of switching..

Well, couldnt install the TEAS when the coilovers were installed due to lack of idea on where to install the control unit. (Want to install on where its visible and easy to reach to adjust.)

Now kinda figured out a spot where to install it so soon will post the TEAS installation.

BTW, I thought TEAS was called "Ti-Ahs" but Tanabe confimed me that they pronounce as "tees", like the word "tea"(drink) in plurals. Just to share with you whom may thought how I thought it was.....

Similar to many people out there make mistake calling TEIN as "Ti-N", should to be pronounced as "Tae-In". I guess you all know that, right?
Old 07-30-07, 03:19 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,982 Likes on 2,410 Posts

I've called Tein USA a few times. They have really funky hold music. They call it "Tane." One syllable. Call them, you can hear it for yourself. Tel (562) 861-9161.

Last edited by lobuxracer; 08-13-07 at 10:42 AM.
Old 07-30-07, 03:33 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by r100s
Yes, helper springs are designed to provide minimal effect on spring compression rate. Using helper springs allows the spring to stay firmly on its perch when the shock has negative or zero load. So for this Tanabe Five for ISX50 has the helper springs so that when you lower the ride height by turning the spring perches the springs will still in under load.

I apologize if I sounded like accusing you not knowing what helper springs are. What I all meant was that with the helper springs lowering adjustment wont be any problem since they will still hold the spring tensions.

No hard feeling~~
No apology required. However, the helper springs are evidence that the shock body really needs separate adjustment. The problem isn't really about the spring as much as it is the damper. If you are lowering the car so much that a helper spring is required, then you have also reduced the compression travel of the damper a whole lot. You may find that big dips / bumps cause the damper to bottom out (hit the bump stops).
Old 07-30-07, 03:35 PM
pocky
mooncake master

Originally Posted by r100s

BTW, I thought TEAS was called "Ti-Ahs" but Tanabe confimed me that they pronounce as "tees", like the word "tea"(drink) in plurals. Just to share with you whom may thought how I thought it was.....

Similar to many people out there make mistake calling TEIN as "Ti-N", should to be pronounced as "Tae-In". I guess you all know that, right?
Yeah, I was trying to figure that out. I called it "Ti-Ahs". Oops.

Last edited by pocky; 07-30-07 at 04:07 PM.
Old 08-10-07, 08:35 AM
h.monay
Rookie

Did you ever install the TEAS?
Old 08-13-07, 10:41 AM
pocky
mooncake master

Updates on suspension?
Old 08-15-07, 12:45 PM
r100s
Driver School Candidate

Tanabe TEAS control unit has been integrated into the dash.

First we thought that the location might not be suitable for easy operation but since TEAS automatically adjust itself once you program to various of driving speeds. I think that the location is perfect.
We trimmed the switch panel to make it fit. Any factory switch on the panel(such as lamp washer and rear shade can be relocated to somewhere else.

All the actuators have been installed to the coilovers but we ran out of time to finish the electrical wires from the control unit to the car yet.

The picture was taken at night with a my phone so excuse the quality of the image.

Soon we will finish everything and post a write-up with how everything works and will make a video clip also.

Last edited by r100s; 08-15-07 at 12:48 PM.
Old 08-15-07, 01:21 PM
omgitsroy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

can u post another pix ... maybe when the sun is out...
Old 08-16-07, 02:55 PM
sykocus
Lead Lap

Keep us updated I'm. I'd like to know how the ride feels compared to stock on each end of the stiffness settings.
Old 08-19-07, 03:46 PM
2slow
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

OH YEAH! update me on how it automatically tunes your suspension as you go faster.

Quick Reply: [NEW] Tanabe Sustec Pro Five for IS250 and IS350