Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Coilover debate please…Bilstein PSS, Tein CS or VIP Luxury Vehicle Coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-07, 11:02 PM
Scott1258
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JLAM
I have HKS LS on my GS and love them. (not sure if same upper mount design as HKS RS) I don't have any complaints regarding harshness or noise. I would say they are the best coilovers I had in comparison with others I experienced in the past.
Hey JLAM,

I wanted to get a set of the HKS LS or LS+ coilovers but they are not imported in the us anymore. You can order from Japan but it takes a looong time to get them and for some reason they will not warrant them for US usage - no warranty at all!

However, they now have the RS coils and they are valved very similar to the LS+ with the same spring rates 9/8k. But your LS's have the upper mount with the rubber bushing insert. The RS's have the solid upper mount. My mechanic tells me solid upper mounts will make noise and cause more harshness in the ride. He says solid upper mounts are for track use only - so I'm leary about getting them. I so wish they offered a mount with the rubber bushing as a option for the RS coils. You wouldn't think it would be hard for them to come out with this. Especially if they want to sell more units for the street.

Hey - anyone else with the Tein CS v2 having any of the same issues as described here?
Old 08-03-07, 06:30 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ZippyGuy
Excellent statement, just what I need to make a decision. The lifetime warranty speaks VOLUMES to this product. I thinkg this may have just pushed me over the edge. By the way, did you use the lower bump stop?
Yes indeed the lifetime warranty is a testament to the quality of this product. Bilstein is OE on cars like Ferarri, BMW, Porshe, Lamborghini. There are reports of 200k or more miles of usage without rebuilding or servicing. The other makes will require paid servicing at some point. The PSS coilover kit comes with 2 pair of bumpstops and 2 pairs of helpersprings. I utilized the stock bumpstops rather than those provided with the kit (my choice), and installed the helper springs which is a must. If you ever been in a BMW with sport package, the ride in a PSS equipped car is similar.
Old 08-03-07, 06:58 AM
ZippyGuy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
Yes indeed the lifetime warranty is a testament to the quality of this product. Bilstein is OE on cars like Ferarri, BMW, Porshe, Lamborghini. There are reports of 200k or more miles of usage without rebuilding or servicing. The other makes will require paid servicing at some point. The PSS coilover kit comes with 2 pair of bumpstops and 2 pairs of helpersprings. I utilized the stock bumpstops rather than those provided with the kit (my choice), and installed the helper springs which is a must. If you ever been in a BMW with sport package, the ride in a PSS equipped car is similar.

Great stuff! I wish I would have asked a few more questions before I installed the Teins, but then again I don't think the PSS was on the market yet If you don't mind, tell me more about the bumpstop and the helper springs. Do the bumpstops support a smoother ride? Also, do the helper springs flatten out cornering and dips in acceleration without compromising ride quality?
Old 08-03-07, 01:23 PM
Brennan401
Driver

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER

I am a big fan of Bilsteins, had them on my Rangie off roader with not problems ever. I hate to throw this out but, what about KW coilovers. Most BMW, Porche, and Lambos that get modded get KWs. If anyone gets Luxury Mod magazine read how many of the cars get KW setups. I good friend had his 06 M5 modded and they put KWs on it. I could not believe the handling. The ride is VERY European, there is no luxury just sport.
Old 08-03-07, 01:36 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Brennan401
I am a big fan of Bilsteins, had them on my Rangie off roader with not problems ever. I hate to throw this out but, what about KW coilovers. Most BMW, Porche, and Lambos that get modded get KWs. If anyone gets Luxury Mod magazine read how many of the cars get KW setups. I good friend had his 06 M5 modded and they put KWs on it. I could not believe the handling. The ride is VERY European, there is no luxury just sport.
I believe D2 had those on the 7 series.. Some guys use the Bilsteins PSS9 on their rides with killer results.
Old 08-03-07, 04:59 PM
taeng
Lead Lap

zippy I'm surprised that your CS's make noise. I never seen anyone really complain about the CS's making lots of noise. This is really going to make me reconsider picking up a set. Is there anyone else out there that has the same complaint about the CS's or is this just an isolated incident?
Old 08-07-07, 01:55 PM
Benjamin T
Lexus Champion

taeng: you need to do a search... there are a some of us out there who have noise complaints with tein cs, including myself. i get the occasional spring "clunk" on bad pavement. but i've had other coilovers make more noise than this on other cars that i've owned so it's minor to me.
Old 08-07-07, 04:18 PM
Benjamin T
Lexus Champion

the UPS guy has arrived!

Old 08-07-07, 04:38 PM
Scott1258
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Benjamin T
the UPS guy has arrived!

REVIEW, REVIEW, REVIEW!!!!
Old 08-07-07, 07:01 PM
ZippyGuy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott1258
REVIEW, REVIEW, REVIEW!!!!
You have GOT to let us know about these coilovers!!! STANCE...never heard of them.
Old 08-08-07, 07:01 PM
Benjamin T
Lexus Champion

hoping to get them installed tomorrow... my mechanic hurt his back on the job and isn't up to it

also, the spring rates on the website http://www.stance-usa.com/plus_apps.php are wrong... the documentation that was included with the coilovers says 14kf/10kr is what it should be, not 18kf/10kr. when i contacted the person who sold them to me, he confirmed that the website was in error.

they are heavy as they should be being steel construction... almost 15lbs per on my questionable bathroom scale.

i also knew nothing about them, but when you go to the subaru (wrx/sti), nissan (240sx), mitsubishi (evo), and even here with the sc300/400 crowd, they is a mention of them, mostly favorable, but not yet overwhelming as they are still relatively new, especially in comparison with more established brands like tein, etc... i'm hoping for the best.

Last edited by Benjamin T; 08-08-07 at 07:10 PM.
Old 08-08-07, 07:05 PM
Benjamin T
Lexus Champion

a few pics in the meantime:

Old 08-08-07, 09:14 PM
JLAM
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ great stuff...my bro tried stance before.
Old 08-09-07, 11:08 AM
speedking
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Benjamin T
another option:

http://www.stance-usa.com/plus.php

i ordered a set. hoping to get them in the mail next week. i'm replacing my tein cs v1.0's with these in hopes that i can maintain a low ride height without all the bottoming out my teins are experiencing.
Where did you buy yours from and what did they cost if you don't mind me asking?

I'm considering the latest generation of Tein CSs or VIP Luxurys, but from looking at the Stance website, they have everything I'm looking for. I don't want any bottoming out BS or transferred road noise for spending this kind of coin.

--Sean
Old 08-09-07, 09:33 PM
Benjamin T
Lexus Champion

i got them from stance directly.

their contact info is on the website?

ask for mike lee!

i got them on my car now... having some teething problems... something is rattling in the right front and i have to go back tomorrow... left my camera at the shop so i can't share

Quick Reply: Coilover debate please…Bilstein PSS, Tein CS or VIP Luxury Vehicle Coilovers