Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Coilover debate please…Bilstein PSS, Tein CS or VIP Luxury Vehicle Coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-08, 04:20 PM
Benjamin T
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i should have updated this long ago. going to do so now.

spring rates are higher than typical coilovers you see here, such as tein CS or HKS hipermax LS. but with the independent ride height adjustment i was able to get a much lower ride height then either could which were limited with adjustment in the spring perch, which affected preload. the higher spring rates also meant i didn't bottom out anymore and i still had sufficient stroke in the damper. with my old tein CS, the dampers were always bottoming on on the bump stops with the spring perches at the very bottom of their threads, and i couldn't carry passengers because they couldn't support the extra weight and still maintain a sufficient ride height. the lowest damping setting on the STANCE is about the highest setting on the tein. i'm not sure what the HKS is like.

the top mounts use a stainless steel bushing, rather than a rubber one the others have. this translated into much sharper steering response. i always hated the vague numb feeling in the handling, but with this setup things sharpened up significantly. the downside is more impact harshness.

unfortunately, after about a month of usage, my right front strut started to make noise. every time i hit a bump, it was not leaking and nothing external was broken, but there was a bad rattling sound as the strut compressed. i tried changing the damping settings and the sound would change, so i knew there was something wrong internally. a local STANCE retailer test drove my car and confirmed there was a problem. after contacting STANCE USA with this information they agreed to send a warranty replacement from japan. unfortunately snafus on the japan side resulted in a 3 month wait for a new strut. during that time i had to get something else so that i could still use my car. i've since received the new strut and unforutnately have had to put everything for sale... hopefully a new owner will enjoy them.

Last edited by Benjamin T; 08-25-08 at 07:49 PM.
Old 08-25-08, 04:58 PM
4ntvings
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

^
sorry to hear about your bad experience...
i like HKS myself
Old 08-25-08, 07:32 PM
ZippyGuy
Lexus Test Driver

That's a horrible situation with the Stance coilovers. I'm not sure about the brand but it sounds like the quality statement has been made regarding that product.

Since this thread came up to the top of the heap again I thought it appropriate to update my Tein CS ver.2 problems. I am VERY happy to say that the noise problem has been resolved and I am more than happy with the ride now. My solution was:

- switching to a softer compound tire (Michelin PS2 opposed to the Bridgestone 960AS Pole Position) - I only use the 960AS November through February

- installed Espelier Spring Noise None (4-$9.00 Size = Small Reducer)
http://phase2motorsports.stores.yahoo.net/esspnore.html

- covered the area around the strut mount top with rubberized spray undercoating.

- also, reinstalled and re-tightened my strut tower bars.

100% satisfied!!

Last edited by ZippyGuy; 12-05-09 at 01:51 PM. Reason: mis-spoke (harder to softer tires)
Old 08-25-08, 07:52 PM
Benjamin T
Lexus Champion

i don't know why i had my share of bad luck with my stance coilovers. i asked and searched other message boards and no one has had any breakdown issues. but i'm glad that STANCE stood by their warranty and replaced my bad strut... the shipping issues were not their fault.

i had tein CSs also at one point... i never had any noise
Old 08-25-08, 08:16 PM
ZippyGuy
Lexus Test Driver

Much respect for the STANCE purchase and their customer service. It was dishonest of me to refer to them as a no name. Hope you have some great luck the with them!!
Old 08-26-08, 01:35 AM
4play4dr
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have the JIC's and theyre great! not one thing bad i can say about em..as low as i am..it rides pretty darn smooth!
Old 09-24-08, 07:43 PM
projectsle
Driver School Candidate

I just got my set of Stance today! I'll keep you guys posted. I picked up my set from VEX motorsports in San Jose, if anyone local doesn't want to pay shipping it's a good deal.