Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Jeeze what an expensive alignment

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-07, 11:02 AM
Kohinoor
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

wow, the max i pay is $60-70, and they do slammed cars
Old 08-12-07, 01:28 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Akrobatik
A big problem about camber in the rear for my car was the Wheel Bearings, even after alignment my tires would still get camber wear really bad.
um, if your wheel bearings are that bad, replace them ASAP...

however, I would venture to say that whoever did your alignment just did a ****ty job... I run -2.1/-2.7 degrees negative camber and have very little camber wear... camber wear is not only due to camber, but toe as well..
Old 08-12-07, 02:05 PM
RCThrine
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont get camber wear, i get toe wear... ne1 know whats going on? I went in on my last alignment about a month ago and they couldnt get the Toe to within the specified range... I took it to a nismo certified dealer they do a lot of track setups and etc for us So Cal guys from the Zilvia threads, so im not doubting their abilty, but my toe in the rear is @ 2.43 Actual ~ 1.89 Before ~ Spec Range is only .25* .65* Ne1 know what could b killing my tow so horribly?
Old 08-12-07, 03:01 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by RCThrine
I dont get camber wear, i get toe wear... ne1 know whats going on? I went in on my last alignment about a month ago and they couldnt get the Toe to within the specified range... I took it to a nismo certified dealer they do a lot of track setups and etc for us So Cal guys from the Zilvia threads, so im not doubting their abilty, but my toe in the rear is @ 2.43 Actual ~ 1.89 Before ~ Spec Range is only .25* .65* Ne1 know what could b killing my tow so horribly?
bent subframe, shot control arm bushings, bad ball joint, bent toe rod, etc...

thats a lot of toe... and there is a TON of adjustment in our cars... I am very surprised they couldn't get it in spec...
Old 12-17-08, 05:22 PM
chrisalpho
Rookie

hey guys wondering if someone could help
i just did my lca bushings with oem bushings
i took the car in for an alignment
and these are the final before and after numbers
they did it twice before i can get the steering straight
car is stock with 225/55/16 tires and stock springs and kyb gr2 shocks
camber
front left 0.2
front right 0.6
caster
front left 2.4
front right 2.6
toe
left 0.07
right 0.04
SAI
left 8.3
right 8.3
included angle
right 8.5
left 8.9

REAR
camber
left
right
toe
left
right
left

i was under the impression that both wheels should have the same comber caster and toe ( front and rear ) every time they did it the numbers are different , so i am wondering why this is they checked ball joint bushings and tie rod ends and all checked out fine , what would cause the variation and do i have to change the upper control arm as well ( would it cause this ) also they told me one of my sway bar endlinks are shot , and also while i am driving the car feels bouncy like it is an aftershock or somehting the whole car seems to bounce after going over an uneven road , PLEEASE HELP
Old 12-17-08, 05:54 PM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

front and rear numbers on camber, caster, and toe will most likely never all be same. you want to run a bit more camber in the front then rear. the toe i leave at 0 front and rear. i try to get as much caster as i can. well relatively a lot. about 5* front and a bit more then stock in the rear. this helps with stability.

right now im running 4.5* of camber in the rear. this is because my control arm bushings are shot and ceased. im in the process of replacing them right now. even with that much camber i drove on the street for about 2 months, and a lot, as well as a whole drift day. i took off the tires two weeks ago and they were starting to show nylon cords.

a one time alignment is 75 bucks. i paid 175 for a 3 year plan that is also transferable to new vehicle. the guy that does my alignments use to work for AMS and does a lot of the local track and drift cars.
Old 12-17-08, 06:44 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by chrisalpho

i was under the impression that both wheels should have the same comber caster and toe ( front and rear ) every time they did it the numbers are different , so i am wondering why this is they checked ball joint bushings and tie rod ends and all checked out fine , what would cause the variation and do i have to change the upper control arm as well ( would it cause this ) also they told me one of my sway bar endlinks are shot , and also while i am driving the car feels bouncy like it is an aftershock or somehting the whole car seems to bounce after going over an uneven road , PLEEASE HELP
End links will not cause any alignment issues to speak of...

variation in camber/caster side to side is normal, a little, at least... Your numbers look fairly good, except the front camber should be more 0 or negative, assuming those numbers are positive... toe is next to impossible to get perfectly even on both sides without some manipulation...

think I might try a different alignment guy though really... that difference in camber side to side in the rear is more than I'd like to see, although, on a machine, it would be considered "good"

just because the numbers are within manufacturers tolerances doesn't necessarily make them good... toe is in hundredths of a degree and caster/camber is in tenths typically...
Old 12-17-08, 09:15 PM
horent135
Lexus Champion

wow those r cheap!!! i almost got alignment for 200!!
Old 12-18-08, 10:30 AM
chrisalpho
Rookie

this alignment was done at a toyota dealership with their laser machines , my questions is i have done three alignments in the past 3 days and everytime the all the readings are different ? is it the machine or my car
Old 12-18-08, 11:15 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

this alignment was done at a toyota dealership with their laser machines , my questions is i have done three alignments in the past 3 days and everytime the all the readings are different ? is it the machine or my car
Comes back to the basics here though... How much different are the readings? I could see it being .1 (caster/camber) or as much as .05 (toe) difference every time the alignment is checked... If it is more than that, then two things are possible - they are not getting the alignment heads mounted on your wheels securely and in the exact same spot every time, or, you have a bushing or ball joint problem... One other small, but possible issue is that they are not ensuring the rack is level... The newer racks are computer controlled to stay level, but they are not perfect. They need to make sure the racks are lowered on the locks to ensure that everything is level as possible... - if they aren't level, then you will get inaccurate readings...

The machines are pretty damn accurate, but they are only as good as the technician using them...
Old 12-18-08, 01:20 PM
TroySC300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got quoted at big 10 tires $270 for an alignment and camber adjustment... F that. I'm taking it to Toyota for cheaper and better service
Old 12-18-08, 05:07 PM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mitsuguy
The machines are pretty damn accurate, but they are only as good as the technician using them...
exactly

Originally Posted by TroySC300
I got quoted at big 10 tires $270 for an alignment and camber adjustment... F that. I'm taking it to Toyota for cheaper and better service
where the EFF do you people live that the alignments are that much money? wow
Old 12-18-08, 08:44 PM
chrisalpho
Rookie

i think i have figured out the problem of the different readings , i went to my mechanic to have him replace the caliper and also asked him to check if the lca is tightened to spec , what to do u know they were torqued to 90lbs , so my thinking is that it is suppose to be tightened to 166 lbs ,is it possible that the camber bolts keep moving while i am driving and therefore throwing the alignment readings all overe the place , after i tightened the bolts to 166 the car even drives better and no more popping noise while i am reversing , i specifiaclly told the toyota tech to make sure that the camber bolts were torqued to spec , please advise
Old 12-18-08, 11:01 PM
davidv433
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

damn, those specs are shot. did he at least try to explain what went bad as to why he couldnt get the alignment straight. that left side was way off, i dont know wtf that guy was doing.
Old 12-19-08, 06:13 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

i think i have figured out the problem of the different readings , i went to my mechanic to have him replace the caliper and also asked him to check if the lca is tightened to spec , what to do u know they were torqued to 90lbs , so my thinking is that it is suppose to be tightened to 166 lbs ,is it possible that the camber bolts keep moving while i am driving and therefore throwing the alignment readings all overe the place , after i tightened the bolts to 166 the car even drives better and no more popping noise while i am reversing , i specifiaclly told the toyota tech to make sure that the camber bolts were torqued to spec , please advise
it's very possible something has been loose this whole time...

what was my first suggestion? find a different alignment guy???

a good alignment tech should find any potential issues prior to doing an alignment - loose ball joints, tie rod ends, bushings, etc, and then get it more even side to side, and not have it move around while you are driving...

Quick Reply: Jeeze what an expensive alignment