Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Jeeze what an expensive alignment

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-07, 09:05 AM
IS_Sunny
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Jeeze what an expensive alignment

Well, I have been having problems with my alignment and my tires.

I recently blew a rear tire on the highway. When the tires were brought to the shop the Inside of the rear tires were worn down to the metal threads, while the outsides of the tires looked like they had 2 years worth of tread left. Obviously a problem.

Anyway, I bring the car in for an alignment. It is supposed to cost $49.99 at a good local shop. Most cookie-cutter places around here charge $79.99. Well they put my car on the rack, and I get a phone call from the shop telling me that the front wheels aligned just fine. The rear however was really messed up. I figured this much ... being that the tire wear in the rear was sooo uneven.

To make a long story short, the whole deal takes about 2 hours, and costs me $165! I tried to call / ask around to see if this seemed right, but even competing shops told me that it was not unreasonable for the price to be so high.

1. I haven't had an alignment in probably 4 years (i know!)
2. 1994 sc300 car with 170k miles on it
3. The rear tires that wore so badly on the inside that one blew were only a 2 year old Yokohomas.

I know I need this done.... but Is the charge legit?
Old 08-01-07, 10:29 AM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A wheel alignment should be a yearly or atleast every 2-year checkup. I've never had an alignment that expensive before. Although with aftermarket wheels, large tires and AWD setups, the prices can get pretty high. Is your car lowered? Modded suspension? Bigger/wider tires?
Old 08-01-07, 10:37 AM
Sc dRifta
*****Do not buy from this member until further notice *****

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

there should be no reason for the price to go up unless he replaced suspension componets.....

threre are like 4 bolts to adjust your rear alignemnts......

what did the before and after alignment print out say ? can you scan and post was the only reason he charged you more was because your alignment was off?
Old 08-01-07, 10:54 AM
IS_Sunny
Lead Lap

Stock wheels, suspension ... everything. Checked records, and no alignment for almost 5 years (previous owner)

Ok, I just got back from the shop and here is the deal.

In reference this this thread: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=296285

Apparently when I blew this tire ... something happened with the left rear control arm ( I was going 85mph).

He had my car on the rack for over two hours trying to get the left rear in the green. All of the other tires were able to be correctly aligned ... just not the left rear.

He advised me to purchase a lower control arm, and said that he would put it on and re-align all the wheels for a 1 hour labor charge.

Here is my before and after print out. *If I can find the scanner power cord ... it will be a lot easier to read .. ill edit

BEFORE:----(REAR)-------left---------right
Camber________________3.0________1.4
Cross Camber________________-4.4
Toe__________________-.39________.5
Total Toe____________________.10
Thrust Angle_______________-.45 (N/A)

AFTER:___(REAR)_________left______________right
Camber________________-3.5 _____________ -.7
___________________________Camber: -2.8

Toe___________________-.18_______________.26
______________________________Toe: -.07
Thrust Angle_____________________-.04 (N/A)

Any ideas?

Last edited by IS_Sunny; 08-01-07 at 01:04 PM.
Old 08-01-07, 10:56 AM
na4now
Lexus Test Driver

Im glad you brought this up. Im about to get an alignment.

So, the front was fine because they didnt have to do anythiing. And, since they had to adjust the back, it was an extra $110?
Old 08-01-07, 11:05 AM
IS_Sunny
Lead Lap

They did a lot on the front, and a ton on the rear. I was waiting in the shop for more than 2 hours and he was adjusting stuff the whole time.

This guy is also highly recommended, and being doing this stuff at a local shop for 15 years. I don't know him, as I have never been there ... but from what I gather he is legit.

Anyone doubt it?
Old 08-01-07, 01:33 PM
Khaos
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sc dRifta
there should be no reason for the price to go up unless he replaced suspension componets.....
Old 08-01-07, 02:23 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by TommySC
They did a lot on the front, and a ton on the rear. I was waiting in the shop for more than 2 hours and he was adjusting stuff the whole time.

This guy is also highly recommended, and being doing this stuff at a local shop for 15 years. I don't know him, as I have never been there ... but from what I gather he is legit.

Anyone doubt it?
I do...

I recently fixed a CL members alignment for free (well, a case of beer)... It's an easy job... You obviously had some schmuck that didn't realize that toe and camber are relative to one another in the rear...

At our shop, we charge $70 for almost all vehicles... $100 for all others (custom alignment, extremely low, extremely lifted, etc) So long as the alignment doesn't require cutting or drilling (some do), we charge one of those two prices...

I honestly love doing alignments on our cars as there is tons of adjustment and all the adjustments are easily accessible...
Old 08-07-07, 07:54 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

I just paid $125 for my 4 wheel alignment. The shop had to get some boards just to get my car up high enough for my exhaust to clear. For all the trouble they went to and the excellent job they did on the alignment it was worth the money. And I now hold the record for the lowest car they have ever done lol.
Old 08-07-07, 07:45 PM
atxishome
Pole Position

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

I paid $60 for my 4-wheel alignment here in Omaha. Most places wanted around $80. I originally called around and found a place that would do it for $50, but when I took it in, they took one look at how low it was and told me they couldn't do it. They commented on how off my alignment was - I had just lifted it up to as far as my coilovers will go (one finger clearance up front, two in back) and even all the way up, my car BARELY made it on to their lift. Anyway, he mentioned that he should charge me more because my car was lowered/so far off factory specs, but he did me a 'favor' and just charged me the norm. SO... That does sound a little high to me.
Old 08-09-07, 07:00 PM
MJHSC400
Lexus Test Driver

$60 -- Just had mine done back to factory specs-- there's no reason it should be $165 unless the guy's just a moron and doesn't understand suspension dynamics--

The rear settings still look wrong if I'm reading correctly--

I think the rears only get about 4mm toe in-- and here's the link to the proper specs-- 55min equates to 55/60 degree-- 60 min in one degree-- so the front camber should be 0.00 camber, the rears should be like .8 negative, NOT 2 or 3 degrees negative!!!! Front caster should be 2.8, but some say they like it to be closer to 4 for straight line stablility-- mine is running 4.1/4.3 caster left to right, and it tracks decently straight-- It doesn't bother me to drive it long distance anyhow-- (now that the air works anyway)
Old 08-09-07, 10:01 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by MJHSC400
$60 -- Just had mine done back to factory specs-- there's no reason it should be $165 unless the guy's just a moron and doesn't understand suspension dynamics--

The rear settings still look wrong if I'm reading correctly--

I think the rears only get about 4mm toe in-- and here's the link to the proper specs-- 55min equates to 55/60 degree-- 60 min in one degree-- so the front camber should be 0.00 camber, the rears should be like .8 negative, NOT 2 or 3 degrees negative!!!! Front caster should be 2.8, but some say they like it to be closer to 4 for straight line stablility-- mine is running 4.1/4.3 caster left to right, and it tracks decently straight-- It doesn't bother me to drive it long distance anyhow-- (now that the air works anyway)
I just now went back and tried to decipher that - it does look like it's way out of spec- so far that either the control arm bushings are shot, control arms are bent, or the frame is bent... what bothers me really is that it's worse than it was before...
Old 08-12-07, 09:52 AM
MJHSC400
Lexus Test Driver

I mean from what it looks like that sucker should be all over the place with those specs--

Hey Mitsguy-- any idea why on some roads my car tracks sweet like a Lexus should and on others it practically takes off running to the right??

In NW Arkansas, a more affluent area than most would think, the newer interstate just doesn't agree with my SC's geometry, but as soon as I get into southern AR and then into La, it tracks exactly like I want it to--

I had a bit of incorrect wear on my fronts from a bad alignment, then got it realigned and put the less badly worn tires from the back to the front, which look very evenly worn except for a wierd looking slight depression down the center of both rear tires, like they're worn from overinflation, but they've never been overinflated--

So all that to say, after making the trip, about 6hrs, the front right tire is a little worn on the inside and now the car tracks awesome- Any ideas?

I may get a reading this week to see if stuff has moved - I machined slotted sleeves for my upper right arm to add a little adjustment but I don't think there's a great deal of impact on the upper arm while driving (hence the bushings never wearing out) so I'm pretty sure the upper arm didn't move-

I'm wondering anyway if tire wear from being on the rear could cause this unusual tracking phenomenon--
Old 08-12-07, 10:04 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by MJHSC400
I mean from what it looks like that sucker should be all over the place with those specs--

Hey Mitsguy-- any idea why on some roads my car tracks sweet like a Lexus should and on others it practically takes off running to the right??

In NW Arkansas, a more affluent area than most would think, the newer interstate just doesn't agree with my SC's geometry, but as soon as I get into southern AR and then into La, it tracks exactly like I want it to--

I had a bit of incorrect wear on my fronts from a bad alignment, then got it realigned and put the less badly worn tires from the back to the front, which look very evenly worn except for a wierd looking slight depression down the center of both rear tires, like they're worn from overinflation, but they've never been overinflated--

So all that to say, after making the trip, about 6hrs, the front right tire is a little worn on the inside and now the car tracks awesome- Any ideas?

I may get a reading this week to see if stuff has moved - I machined slotted sleeves for my upper right arm to add a little adjustment but I don't think there's a great deal of impact on the upper arm while driving (hence the bushings never wearing out) so I'm pretty sure the upper arm didn't move-

I'm wondering anyway if tire wear from being on the rear could cause this unusual tracking phenomenon--
rain... it's all about rain... the more rain an area gets, the more they angle the road for runoff... chances are that newer interstate has more of a crown to the road... cross camber and cross caster can be adjusted to account for this if you are having issues... thats the difference between camber and caster from side to side in the front...
Old 08-12-07, 10:57 AM
Akrobatik
Driver School Candidate

A big problem about camber in the rear for my car was the Wheel Bearings, even after alignment my tires would still get camber wear really bad.

Quick Reply: Jeeze what an expensive alignment