Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-07, 10:38 AM
bigmalik00
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LexAnt
s'ok boost, i'd say 90% of the SC forums go the cheap way.

also for those looking into these, consider changing out the oem shocks as i have a feeling they won't last long with these spring/perch combos.
another thing is, what keeps the spring/perch attached to the shock? as far as i can tell, they just slip over the shock and rely on the weight of the car/friction to keep them in place.

I too was worrying on how long it would they would last. what is the weight difference between the IS and the SC?
Old 10-21-07, 05:56 PM
Boostshakalaka
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LexAnt
s'ok boost, i'd say 90% of the SC forums go the cheap way.

also for those looking into these, consider changing out the oem shocks as i have a feeling they won't last long with these spring/perch combos.

another thing is, what keeps the spring/perch attached to the shock? as far as i can tell, they just slip over the shock and rely on the weight of the car/friction to keep them in place.
this is the reason i hardly post here anymore, i love sc's but i always see someone make a horrible choice then tell other people it's awesome to justify their purchase. thats why i've been a member since 2002, i'm on my 3rd sc and have yet to break 1000 posts, btw your suspension(or sussy to our friends down under) is simply amazing, i'm planning to start piecing together my multilink soon
Old 10-21-07, 06:21 PM
Kohinoor
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

sleeves are horrible. they can easily tear apart - seen it happen on a lot of civics/integras.
Old 10-22-07, 03:54 PM
eliteskill
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Boostshakalaka
this is the reason i hardly post here anymore, i love sc's but i always see someone make a horrible choice then tell other people it's awesome to justify their purchase. thats why i've been a member since 2002, i'm on my 3rd sc and have yet to break 1000 posts, btw your suspension(or sussy to our friends down under) is simply amazing, i'm planning to start piecing together my multilink soon
its pretty simple.. alot of people dont have tons of extra money to spend on their cars... so if they want to deal with the "cheap way" of doing things its because they dont have the funds to buy mods for their cars... a deal is a deal if they can live with the performance issues its up to them. I just got my tein flex w/ edfc installed a few days ago, and boom there goes 2grand... not alot of people can afford things like that if they have a house/car/kids/gf/wife/food to afford also. so go easy on them, each to their own! =/.

ill respect the guy that worked his butt off to buy cheap wannabe coilovers over the guy that had mommy/daddy buy him TEIN/JIC coilovers anyday of the week, and to the people that work hard and have extra money to spend we are just lucky to have it. no need to put anyone down

most people say they have problems with this setup, save your money and time and wait for a good set of coilovers. You might be paying more in repairs if something goes wrong from "cheap stuff"...
Old 10-22-07, 04:40 PM
fwynn
Lexus Test Driver

im one of those... kids with .. no money :[ and mommy and daddy who .. doesnt gimme any money for my car :[
sigh...
Old 10-22-07, 05:44 PM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are definitely quality affordable options out there in the realm of a drop suspension.

I did my Supra Swift Springs on Tokico Illumina Shocks for under $600 getting brand new parts (Illuminas were second hand NIB from SF). The Swift Springs are fantastic. The Illuminas are nice with the adjustment they offer.

All told, I am not going to complain for a second about the suspension I got for the money. In my opinion, I would rather have a great shock/spring combo for less than cheap coilovers any day of the week.
Old 10-23-07, 03:46 AM
DHBomber
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Blizzy
All told, I am not going to complain for a second about the suspension I got for the money. In my opinion, I would rather have a great shock/spring combo for less than cheap coilovers any day of the week.
I agree. While for most people, your run of the mill coilover setup might be a good option out there for many people, smart money puts the right stuff in the right places.
There is nothing wrong with sleeve kits. Both Koni and Bilstein sell them.
Obviously, with the stock shocks, height and spring rate are an issue.
Old 10-26-07, 08:53 AM
Boostshakalaka
Lead Lap

we were all on that boat at one point in time, i worked my *** of to build my first sc, it took me 6 months to save up to buy my hks coilovers, but when i did, i was happy cuz instead of having 20 crap parts on my car, i had 1 frickin nice part that i was proud of

i'm not gonna knock the guy who goes off and gets some eibachs and bilsteins cuz he's looking for something similar to stock, i respect that alot more than the guy that goes off and buys some tein basics, megans or d2's just to tell people he has coilovers.

all i'm saying is ask anyone who's been building cars for a while, they will tell you to spend the extra money, save up. what's the rush anyways?

also (back to the topic of this thread)has anyone taken into account the geometry of the is is different from the sc, and thus different spring rates would be needed? how about the sleeve not fitting correctly on the strut, look at the pic it wont even seat properly. this is asking for something to break. "hey i hear ground control makes nice sleeves lets go buy the cheaper set for a ek civic and throw it on a supra!"

Last edited by Boostshakalaka; 10-26-07 at 09:15 AM.
Old 10-26-07, 12:19 PM
TheMole
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yea I was worried about the spring rates being way off, but somebody said mentioned earlier they were 391 and 335 lbs/in respectively. If this is true then the front is almost close to stock, but the rear is about 150 lbs/in more than stock rates. I agree it doesn't look like the coils are sitting on the perch correctly. As for me, I would never use these for my car as the suspension is a vital part on this vehicle.
Old 10-28-07, 12:03 AM
Bryan858
Lead Lap

Nice alternative to save money.. I had a set of Ground Controls on my
3000gt and it was nice to have adjustability but I had problems with clicking from the top hats and the springs. I don't think I'd ever go with a similar set up again but then again I always prefered regular suspension setups since I hardly ever adjust my ride height anyway..... Oh, I actually put RTV around the sleeve and my strut to prevent any movement (just in case) and shaved off the original spring perches to save some weight since they are basically useless with the new setup anyway. Maybe it won't be a big deal on the SC but on the 3000gt those spring perches were huge and heavy... All in all nice find and enjoy the ride..
Old 10-29-07, 08:03 PM
DHBomber
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Boostshakalaka
also (back to the topic of this thread)has anyone taken into account the geometry of the is is different from the sc, and thus different spring rates would be needed? how about the sleeve not fitting correctly on the strut, look at the pic it wont even seat properly. this is asking for something to break.
With stock shocks and using the sleeves to drop the car to the weeds... spring rates shouldn't be too big a problem
Fit and finish... well yeah...