Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

car shaking when I brake at high speed?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-01, 03:25 PM
BLiu
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by GlobeCLK

That's a very good theory Brent. Maybe that's the cause? the TRD PADS?

If the TRD pads are, like you said, too much for stock rotors to handle, then even if I get the rotors resurfaced again, will they become warped again?!?

What can I do? Go back to stock pads when the TRDs wear out? Or replace the rotors with TRD ones?

Anyone knows the cost of TRD rotors compared to stock rotors? I got TRD pads because Steve sells them for cheaper than what the dealer charges me for stock pads. Will rotors turn out to be like that?
Globe,

I'd say chances are, they will probably warp again. Keep in mind, the more times you resurface the rotor, the thinner the material becomes which will soon make it out of spec and you will need to replace the rotors anyway. The thinner the rotor, the easier it is to warp.

I know it's gonna cost a little more, but I would recommend you get both the rotors and the pads AT LEAST for the fronts. If your rotors are indeed warped, then you can probably kiss your pads goodbye as well. Maybe, you can drive on the pads for a while until the shimmying becomes way too unbearable (kinda what I did) and save up money for new front rotors and pads.

You know one of the most overlooked performance mods are brakes, better braking brings a lot more confidence while tooling around town and esp on the freeway.

BTW, Racing Aristo has the TRD pads and rotors and got it from Steve G. Ask him if he feels the difference. Good luck!

Brent
Old 12-31-01, 09:41 AM
dru
Driver

Globe,

I was kinda in exact situation as you. When I had my pads replaced w/ the TRD pads, the rotors were not resurfaced. At first everything was fine, however, soon I was able to feel the vibration when braking. The warping of the rotors only got worse, and I finally got my rotors resurfaced last week. At the moment, everything is great, but I've always felt that the pads were "too strong" for the stock rotors. I read Brent's post, and he had the same exact ideas that I was having. I guess your only options are to have your rotors resurfaced, buy stronger rotors, or switch back to the Lexus pads.
Old 12-31-01, 10:05 AM
The_Best_GS
Driver

Originally posted by BLiu
...the TRD pads are too much for stock rotors
That is exactly what I was thinking.
Old 12-31-01, 12:20 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by dru
Globe,

I was kinda in exact situation as you. When I had my pads replaced w/ the TRD pads, the rotors were not resurfaced. At first everything was fine, however, soon I was able to feel the vibration when braking. The warping of the rotors only got worse, and I finally got my rotors resurfaced last week. At the moment, everything is great, but I've always felt that the pads were "too strong" for the stock rotors. I read Brent's post, and he had the same exact ideas that I was having. I guess your only options are to have your rotors resurfaced, buy stronger rotors, or switch back to the Lexus pads.
I had the rotors resurfaced. But the problem came after I got them resurfaced.

I guess the resurfacing job was bad?