Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

car shaking when I brake at high speed?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-01, 09:57 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default car shaking when I brake at high speed?

hey all.

I noticed that when I hit the brakes at high speeds (anything over 60mph) my steering wheel would shake alot. Something's wrong with my brakes? Should I take it in?
Old 12-27-01, 10:22 PM
ChuH
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Your brake rotor need to be resurface. Proabably need to change the pads also. Had the same problem when I had my 95 SC400. Changed the brake pads and resurface the rotor at the same time and problem went away.

Chu...
Old 12-27-01, 10:28 PM
Lextacy400
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: car shaking when I brake at high speed?

Originally posted by GlobeCLK
hey all.

I noticed that when I hit the brakes at high speeds (anything over 60mph) my steering wheel would shake alot. Something's wrong with my brakes? Should I take it in?
Globe I had that same problem on my GS. I took it in and got my rotors resurfaced and my pads sanded and the problem went away..
Old 12-27-01, 10:37 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Default Re: Re: car shaking when I brake at high speed?

Originally posted by ChuH
Your brake rotor need to be resurface. Proabably need to change the pads also. Had the same problem when I had my 95 SC400. Changed the brake pads and resurface the rotor at the same time and problem went away.

Chu...
Originally posted by Lextacy400

Globe I had that same problem on my GS. I took it in and got my rotors resurfaced and my pads sanded and the problem went away..
thanks guys!

however, the problem came AFTER i got my new TRD pads, installed, and had rotors re-surfaced.......??!??

could that be warped? What does warped brakes mean? I don't know much about warped brakes!
Old 12-27-01, 10:43 PM
ChuH
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

1) It could be the resurfacing was not done properly.

2) Try to retorque the wheel lug nuts. Causing warpage.

Chu...
Old 12-27-01, 10:49 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by ChuH
1) It could be the resurfacing was not done properly.

2) Try to retorque the wheel lug nuts. Causing warpage.

Chu...
i'll ask the dealer to check it nexttime i do my oil change. thanks!
Old 12-27-01, 10:50 PM
Lextacy400
Lead Lap

Globe,

My mom had a problem with her BM still shaking after the rotors were resurfaced. When we took it back the rotors were not resurfaced right. They redid it and it was fine.
Old 12-27-01, 10:51 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by Lextacy400
Globe,

My mom had a problem with her BM still shaking after the rotors were resurfaced. When we took it back the rotors were not resurfaced right. They redid it and it was fine.
sounds like a good idea.
Old 12-28-01, 06:12 AM
ap0718
Lead Lap

I had the same problem with my previous car. It came out to be what everyone else has suggested to you. My rotors were warped and I had to get them replaced.

I've seen some cross drilled rotors on E-bay for the GS. I don't know how good they are!!! Check them out, but beware, a lot of people have said that they are not what the seller claims--meaning the company that makes them.
Old 12-28-01, 10:04 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the resurfacing has been done wrong, I suggest you get some new Rotors and Pads.
Old 12-28-01, 11:42 AM
theanimala
Lead Lap

I heard that if it wasn't done right it could mess up your pads as well. That is why when it just came time for me to replace my pads I got the TRD ones and TRD slotted rotors from SteveG at the same time.
Old 12-28-01, 11:43 AM
The_Best_GS
Driver

I have relatively new rotors (less than 6000 miles) and TRD brake pads. My steering wheel also shakes when braking at high speeds. I cant remember if the steering wheel vibrated when I had stock brake pads.

Anyone else with TRD brake pads have this problem?

Can there be another reason for the steering wheel vibrating while braking?
Old 12-29-01, 12:08 AM
BLiu
Lexus Test Driver

Hey Guys,

Before I did my Supra TT brake upgrade I had the Kazuma brand (TRD brake pads) that I picked up from Steve @ Carson Toyota. I too had the brake rotors warp as well. Initially, I thought the same as everyone here and I still believe it may be because the rotors were not properly resurfaced.

HOWEVER, now that I heard more incidents where the TRD pads have caused rotor warpage I am starting to develop the theory that the TRD pads are too much for stock rotors. Here's my theory - and it's just a theory...

TRD pads have better stopping power than stock pads. This stopping power translates to a higher degree of friction. The more friction, the more it translates into heat. The stock rotors tolerances may not be able to handle the higher heat and thus warping occurs. So, to answer Globe's question, a warped rotor is a rotor that has uneven surfaces on the area where the brake pad applies to. Because the surface is uneven, yet spinning at a high rate, once the pad touches the uneven surface it will cause a vibration that resonates throughout the wheel and translate through to a shimmy or vibrating steering wheel. It will usually occur when brakes are applied at higher speeds and sometimes the vibration can be quite unnerving.

So, my theory is that if anyone plans to buy TRD pads, one should also consider the rotors that TRD sells along with the pads. This makes sense that TRD is now selling them as a package because maybe a few people have already reported that the TRD pads alone are causing the stock rotors to warp - but I am sure nobody will admit that - remember, it's just a theory...

Hope this helps.

Brent
Old 12-29-01, 12:37 AM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by BLiu
Hey Guys,

Before I did my Supra TT brake upgrade I had the Kazuma brand (TRD brake pads) that I picked up from Steve @ Carson Toyota. I too had the brake rotors warp as well. Initially, I thought the same as everyone here and I still believe it may be because the rotors were not properly resurfaced.

HOWEVER, now that I heard more incidents where the TRD pads have caused rotor warpage I am starting to develop the theory that the TRD pads are too much for stock rotors. Here's my theory - and it's just a theory...

TRD pads have better stopping power than stock pads. This stopping power translates to a higher degree of friction. The more friction, the more it translates into heat. The stock rotors tolerances may not be able to handle the higher heat and thus warping occurs. So, to answer Globe's question, a warped rotor is a rotor that has uneven surfaces on the area where the brake pad applies to. Because the surface is uneven, yet spinning at a high rate, once the pad touches the uneven surface it will cause a vibration that resonates throughout the wheel and translate through to a shimmy or vibrating steering wheel. It will usually occur when brakes are applied at higher speeds and sometimes the vibration can be quite unnerving.

So, my theory is that if anyone plans to buy TRD pads, one should also consider the rotors that TRD sells along with the pads. This makes sense that TRD is now selling them as a package because maybe a few people have already reported that the TRD pads alone are causing the stock rotors to warp - but I am sure nobody will admit that - remember, it's just a theory...

Hope this helps.

Brent
That's a very good theory Brent. Maybe that's the cause? the TRD PADS?

If the TRD pads are, like you said, too much for stock rotors to handle, then even if I get the rotors resurfaced again, will they become warped again?!?

What can I do? Go back to stock pads when the TRDs wear out? Or replace the rotors with TRD ones?

Anyone knows the cost of TRD rotors compared to stock rotors? I got TRD pads because Steve sells them for cheaper than what the dealer charges me for stock pads. Will rotors turn out to be like that?
Old 12-29-01, 10:18 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Brent, that might just me the problem, the pads!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: car shaking when I brake at high speed?