Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

NEX coilover review

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-09, 01:25 PM
Maxima3
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by whazzzzuup
I absolutely love them. I could not believe how well they ride. I am not sure about the spring rates, but I believe they are 9k and 7k. They actually ride better at the height I am at now, than my Eibach springs on stock struts. I have the shocks set at the 2 setting. It handles like it's on rails. Here is a picture of the coilovers. The very last picture is of my car at its present height. It is slightly lower after settling (picture was taken about 2 months ago).

Here are some newer pictures: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...res-804kb.html

Sorry for all the picture whoring!
i remember looking at nex coilovers and saw the maxspeed springs, maxpeed made some nice springs too... im just gonna take it that maxspeed must of teamed up wih nex or they changed the name, cause iirc maxspeed made separate springs (yellow)...
Old 02-20-09, 08:02 PM
gs300king
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Maxima3
idk why ppl here get so surprise on how low coilovers get??? all coilovers allow tremendous tuck... i know of someone on the maxima forum with nex coilovers going on to a year now and is running fine... the Vdub forum was BS, something else took place for a coilover to break like that... the thing with slamming your car on coils like that is just a matter of how long will it last, yes it will feel good an all but you also shorten the life expectancy... i've had my maxima so low on my k-sport, that the thread came through the underneath of the coilover and sat in my axle boot, almost causing me to crash when it ripped my boot open and tore the rubber up, so when i see ppl posting these bs about broken coilovers i just dont even reply (not to mention, volkswagon hatch- 2800lb to a 3300lb maxima with axle sittin in boot) oh and to add, i was on 16's and was so slammed i couldnt fully turn... only lasted a yr though lol...
the reason why like me and other gs owners get suprised is because other brands like tein which cost more dont get as low as these coilovers..i kno a couple of other car brands are easier 2 get slammed butt for me other gs coilovers out there except the JIC cant match the drop as these.
Old 02-20-09, 10:42 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Thats because most teins are adjusted through preloading. By the time you've lowered it all the way down, you have almost little to no suspension travel. You'll be bottoming out on the slightest dip. From the looks of it, the NEX coilovers can be adjusted through the shock body itself, which gives it an advantage because you'll be lowering your car without changing the shock travel.

A lot of brands (jic, hks, ohlins, bilstein, etc) are oriented towards performance rather than slamming. They're design will differ as slamming is not a priority to them. If you want to slam your car, it'd be a waste to spend big money on HKS and the likes. Plus, it wasn't until recently where manufacturers started to use shock body adjustments. 10 years ago, hardly anyone had it.
Old 02-21-09, 10:37 AM
Maxima3
Rookie

Originally Posted by gs300king
the reason why like me and other gs owners get suprised is because other brands like tein which cost more dont get as low as these coilovers..i kno a couple of other car brands are easier 2 get slammed butt for me other gs coilovers out there except the JIC cant match the drop as these.
i cant argue much cause im a GS noob... but just about every model car i know on coilovers tuck but, ill go with ur words though
Old 02-21-09, 01:52 PM
whazzzzuup
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I love these coilovers. To clarify, you adjust the height via the shock body. There is no need to mess with the preload with these coilovers. The travel will still be retained.
Old 02-21-09, 03:02 PM
Maxima3
Rookie

I love these coilovers. To clarify, you adjust the height via the shock body. There is no need to mess with the preload with these coilovers. The travel will still be retained.
Another noob question??? can you guys throw out the brand coilovers that doesnt allow you to adjust from the shock (except coilover sleeves) just dont wanna be buying a coilover kit that doesnt adjust from the shock... Whenever a coilover kit allows you to adjust height from the shock i personally dont think you sjould even mess with the preload of the spring
Old 02-21-09, 03:41 PM
whazzzzuup
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Maxima3, look at post #18. GSteg mentioned several that have height adjustment with spring preload.
Old 02-21-09, 06:15 PM
Maxima3
Rookie

Maxima3, look at post #18. GSteg mentioned several that have height adjustment with spring preload.
i only saw the tein basic and tein SS and iirc they lower via shock... or at least thats what i was told, hmm
Old 03-24-09, 05:17 AM
esolo98
Advanced

For the ones who have these, where did you get them from? Ebay?
Old 07-25-11, 11:21 AM
whytry
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Bringing back an old thread... Anybody still rocking the NEX coilovers? More pix too would be great!!

I was comparing these to the Megan EZ street.
Old 08-03-11, 09:43 PM
Kozy04
Rookie

I got a set cuz i'm running stock and I got a good deal on them....Haven't installed them yet tho.
Old 08-16-11, 06:23 AM
JDMsedan
Rookie

I will be getting these soon. I think they are worth it for the money in on a daily driver.
Old 10-27-11, 12:10 PM
MrMannNYC
Driver School Candidate

For the guys who have these coilovers - how are they holding up so far? I was thinking of getting a set for next spring.