Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

supra tt or LS brakes?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-07, 12:41 AM
Richardim
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default supra tt or LS brakes?

ok guys, my right front caliper is frozen so need new ones! which do you guys prefer? supra TT or LS calipers? also whats the difference? there both 4 piston calipers. please let me know ASAP! not sure which one is a better route and i need your help! thank you for your time!
Old 08-15-07, 05:05 AM
aliga
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

ls brakes which are alot lighter as well.
Old 08-15-07, 08:09 AM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

TT brakes use ~0.3" larger diameter rotors and a pad that is fractions of a percentage larger than the LS400 pads in terms of cross-sectional area.

There is no doubt that the TT Brakes are stronger, but this difference is marginal. In addition, this difference in braking power will only be able to fully realized if you upgrade the rear brakes as well to maintain correct brake bias.

The LS400 calipers being aluminum (presumably to keep weight down on the plumper that is the Lexus flagship sedan) are significantly lighter than the Supra calipers, which are iron. 6-8lbs per caliper is probably a fair estimate.

I would favor the LS400 brakes for their value (and weight) as the Supra brakes cost significantly more but the gain in braking power is only marginal.

Do not think that the LS400 brakes are short on pad selection either simply because they are for a luxury sedan. Hawk and Endless (among others) make performance pads for the LS400.
Old 08-15-07, 09:22 AM
Richardim
Driver

thanx for your help guys! in that case i guess imma have to get the LS400 brakes. now whose selling some and what brand rotors should i go with? lol once again thanx guys!
Old 08-15-07, 11:13 AM
aliga
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Richardim
thanx for your help guys! in that case i guess imma have to get the LS400 brakes. now whose selling some and what brand rotors should i go with? lol once again thanx guys!
i have a set of calipers with used pads for 220 shipped.
Old 08-15-07, 12:20 PM
Richardim
Driver

no rotors with the calipers aliga? also does my stock brake lines fit? so the ls brakes are a straight bolt on with no modification? please let me know! thanx
Old 08-17-07, 11:07 AM
One HoT
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Stock brake lines fit the LS400. With the exception of removal of heat shield there is no other modification needed to fit LS4 brakes...You'll also need LS400 rotors..
Old 08-17-07, 12:05 PM
TheMole
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Don't forget you need the shorter ls400 caliper bolts or shorten your sc ones.
Old 08-17-07, 02:20 PM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sc300max
Don't forget you need the shorter ls400 caliper bolts or shorten your sc ones.
Gazi sent me LS400 brake calipers with the caliper bolts attached.
Old 08-19-07, 06:47 PM
CCC-TT
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

i just got LS calipers for the front from another CL member and LS drilled and slotted rotors from ebay, i also purchased SC400 rear brakes with drilled and slotted rotors from ^^^Blizzy^^^
Old 08-19-07, 07:03 PM
Richardim
Driver

thanks for everything guys. just picked up the front LS400 calipers with bolts, drilled and slotted rotors and stailess lines for the fronts from sly guy yu! juss gotta get it installed now! hmmmm when should i install them? anyone selling rears? lol thanx for all your inputs and help guys!
Old 08-19-07, 07:08 PM
CCC-TT
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

i think im installing my stuff next weekend, wanna race to get it done lol? also, are you planning on painting yours? im painting mine black like my stock ones are already.
Old 08-20-07, 12:49 PM
Fireblaze
Lead Lap

It is all depending on the price. I paid 200 each for my supra calipers, only because they were brand new. They were selling remanufactured ones for 120 each (but they didn't have them in stock). I know some people on the boards who got them for 100 each. I just like the rotor and pad options for the supra brakes (didn't know there were hawks for LS)
Old 08-21-07, 11:54 AM
Richardim
Driver

Originally Posted by rocessk3
i think im installing my stuff next weekend, wanna race to get it done lol? also, are you planning on painting yours? im painting mine black like my stock ones are already.
The race is on! lol i beleive imma install them today! kekeke when are u gonna install them? i just painted mine yesterday! it was already black but a horrible job! so i sanded it down as best as i can and painted it gold! i was aiming towards a darker gold but it came out bright gold! doesnt look anything close to the color on the cap! i got the paint from super autobachs if anyone cares. o well, i guess imma paint them again next time, probably go with black. looks really really flashy! let me know how urs turns out!
Old 08-30-07, 09:26 AM
Benjamin T
Lexus Champion

are there the same wheel clearance issues with the LS400 brake calipers that the supra tt calipers have?

Quick Reply: supra tt or LS brakes?