Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Best coilover setup for New York roads?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-07, 06:30 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Best coilover setup for New York roads?

I live in New York (on long island actually) and the roads here are not the best to put it mildly. I am rolling on 19" wheels and as it is I feel a lot in the road maybe it's my tires. Anyway, I'm looking for a coilover setup that I could lower to "1/2 finger" or less if I wanted but doesn't have a super stiff feeling. I have never been in a GS with coilover suspension so I really don't know just how harsh it will be. After searching and reading I have come to the Tein CS v2, Tein SS and HKS Hypermax RS. I am leaning towards one of the Tein's.

For those that have Tein CS v2 - Can you lower it down to 1/2 finger? and at the hardest dampening setting is it hard enough to feel sporty. I don't want the hardest available setting to be too soft.

For those that have the Tein SS - I know that these are harder riding coilovers than the CS but are they comparable (on one of the softer settings) to the CS (on one of the harder settings). If so I will probably go with the SS because of their ability to lower more if I should choose to drop a lot. Please help! I REALLY REALLY REALLY want to get these soon and will go through Grodon/Luis @ Carson as usual. Thanks for the help guys!
Old 08-17-07, 06:50 AM
RI-Lex
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

well with my CS v2 I have the setting on #7 I like it soft never tried the stiff setting , I wanna get that stock ride on the street roads suck here, I have it dropped to about 1 finger gap, If this help I had the SS tein on my '02 acura and even the stiff setting felt pretty comfortable ride not too harsh GL
Old 08-17-07, 07:03 AM
michael200
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have TEIN SS on my 00GS4, and have put about 1K miles on them. The height is around 2 1/2 inches lower than stock, which is really good, IMHO, and the quality of the springs and hardware are very good for the price, I paid $950 delivered. The SS damper is about in the middle of the stroke when the height is set to about 2 1/2 inches lower than stock. The improvement in handling is incredible when driving on smooth roads, and when driving aggressively, but the ride is very harsh on rough city streets. I ended up with the dampening set on 4 (16 is the hardest) for the best overall performance. I just bought the next softer spring from TEIN, and plan on changing them this weekend. The stock SS springs are 14/12 Kg/mm (780/670 pounds/inch). That's a VERY HIGH spring rate. I bought a set of 10 Kg/mm (560 pounds/inch) springs to put on the rear, and then I'll move the rear springs to the front (12/10 front/rear.) I'll post the results. Note: I have 16 inch wheels and 225/55 TOYO tires. No wagon-wheels for me. Ha ha.

Last edited by michael200; 08-17-07 at 07:15 AM.
Old 08-17-07, 07:55 AM
ZippyGuy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Rock-a-Lex
I live in New York (on long island actually) and the roads here are not the best to put it mildly. I am rolling on 19" wheels and as it is I feel a lot in the road maybe it's my tires. Anyway, I'm looking for a coilover setup that I could lower to "1/2 finger" or less if I wanted but doesn't have a super stiff feeling. I have never been in a GS with coilover suspension so I really don't know just how harsh it will be. After searching and reading I have come to the Tein CS v2, Tein SS and HKS Hypermax RS. I am leaning towards one of the Tein's.

For those that have Tein CS v2 - Can you lower it down to 1/2 finger? and at the hardest dampening setting is it hard enough to feel sporty. I don't want the hardest available setting to be too soft.

For those that have the Tein SS - I know that these are harder riding coilovers than the CS but are they comparable (on one of the softer settings) to the CS (on one of the harder settings). If so I will probably go with the SS because of their ability to lower more if I should choose to drop a lot. Please help! I REALLY REALLY REALLY want to get these soon and will go through Grodon/Luis @ Carson as usual. Thanks for the help guys!
This is a great question that should help lots of Lexus-tuners looking to maintain that great ride and squeak out some performance. Let me see if I can help you.

I have Tein CS v2 on my 99GS3 and LOVE the ride height I have, the handling on the highway, and the profile. I have L-Tuned 18's (18X8.5 front/18X9.5 rear sitting on Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS 245/40ZR18 front 275/35ZR18 rear). Here's my issue and some things you should consider. I live outside of DC and have to drive into the city often.

The Tein CS v2, on a scale of 1 (worst) to 10 (best) are a 10 in adjustability, 9 on highway smoothness, 7 on "smoother" city streets, and 3 on bumpy city streets. Since these are aluminum construction I'm experiencing road transfer noise to the point that I can't use a bluetooth when driving. Also, I find that the CS's are give off a banging noise when I go over small potholes, repeating bumps, or other road imperfections. I'm considering replacing the coilovers not because I don't believe in them, more so because I'm less of a baller than most of the guys on this site but FAR from a noob

My research brings me two considerations for coilovers and some comparisons for spring/shock combos:

Coilovers
FLT-A2 VIP Luxury Vehicle Coilover (set up for luxurious ride)
Adjustable for height and stiffness

Bilstein PSS (KINGS of shocks)
Adjustable for height only

Springs/shocks
If you're going this route, personally I wouldn't put anything but Bilstein HD or Sport shocks on my ride. Spings, consider the following comparisons (my favs are noted for best drop rate):

Tanabe DF210*
Drop 1.8/1.3
Spring rate 6.0/5.6

Tanabe NF210
Drop 1.5/1.0
Spring rate 5.6/4.7

Tein S-Tech
Drop 1.77/1.73
Spring rate 9.5/11.6 (stiff)

TTE Lowering Springs
Drop 1.3/0.9
Spring rate N/A

Eibach
Drop 1.1/1.0
Spring rate N/A

Sprint (race springs, I don't trust them)
Drop 2.0/2.0
Spring rate N/A

Espelir ASD*
Drop 2.16/1.1811
Spring rate N/A

H&R Sport Springs*
Drop 1.4/1.3
Spring rate N/A

Daizen Lowering Springs (G2-2011)*
Drop 1.9/1.7
Spring rate

Intrax Coil Springs (racing springs, don’t trust them)
Drop 1.5/1.5
Spring rate N/A

B&G S2 SPORT LOWERING SPRINGS
Drop 1.5/1.5
Spring rate N/A

At the end of the day, I'm going with one of three options which might fit for you as well:

- Current - Tein CS v2, back to the shop for finer tuning and replacing the bushing with Daizen

- JIC or Bilstein PSS

- Daizen lowing springs (best drop)/Bilstein Sport Shocks

Hope this helps - Marty
Old 08-17-07, 08:20 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Thanks a lot! It's not like I don't want a luxurious smooth ride but I think I might be looking at things incorrectly (please say so if I am). I am under the impression that if a coilover setup is softer (more luxury aspect) then there would be a less of a sporty feel when corning and such and perhaps still show signs of body roll. I want to have better handling and decrease body roll but still be able to take driving on NY roads. Right now at high speeds 100mph+ I do not feel confident in my car on stock suspension especially when a slight curve comes up. All other comments greatly appreciated! Thanks again!
Old 08-17-07, 09:38 AM
ZippyGuy
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks a lot! It's not like I don't want a luxurious smooth ride but I think I might be looking at things incorrectly (please say so if I am). I am under the impression that if a coilover setup is softer (more luxury aspect) then there would be a less of a sporty feel when corning and such and perhaps still show signs of body roll. I want to have better handling and decrease body roll but still be able to take driving on NY roads. Right now at high speeds 100mph+ I do not feel confident in my car on stock suspension especially when a slight curve comes up. All other comments greatly appreciated! Thanks again!
I think you're looking at things correctly but I am no where NEAR an expert on this. I've done quite a bit of reading through threads from Todd at TM and all the Carson Toyota followers.

I've been tinkering with my suspension for 6 years now and am about at the perfect set-up.........for me. I started off with Eibach/Bilstein HD (too soft), went to L-tuned/L-tuned (great set-up but the shocks failed after 2 years), and now am with Tein CS v2. Like most of the guys on this site with tell you, do it right the FIRST time with as much delegence as possible and you'll get what you need.
Old 08-17-07, 09:46 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Being a New Yorker myself and riding in other Lexi with various colover setups, the Bilstien PSS was the best choice I've made in a suspension set-up. No noise or harsheness with this setup over bumps. Feels like a sponge over the bumps, and make the GS ride and drive like a German car. This is the only set-up that has self adjusting valves within to adapt to various road conditions. The PSS coilovers have a variable valve shock design, but it is self-valved meaning that it adjusts according to the type of driving ...higher load the firmer it becomes...softer load and ride quality is maintained.

The Bilstein PSS Suspension enables the user to adjust the vehicle's ride height by adjusting the threaded shock bodies (front) and the threaded rear spring perch (rear). This system features both front coilover and standard monotube gas pressure shocks with performance level valving along that is application specific, along with progressive rate coil springs. The PSS system lets you set your car low and tight for optimum performance or back to a more stock like ride height and handling characteristics. Ride height adjustments can be made on the vehicle without removing the suspension. The solid aluminum spring seat and lock nut allows a selective adjustment of the vehicle's ride height. Spring travel and vehicle body height change, but the spring seat remains pre-loaded throughout the allowable range of adjustment.

- OEM Porsche Build Quality

- Rising Rate Self-Adjusting Working Piston

- Nitrogen Chamber & Floating Dividing Piston

- One Piece Alloy Rod Guide & Seal System

- Digressive Piston Assembly Increases Shock Life

Good luck with your choice.
Old 08-17-07, 11:10 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

So I take it that the Bilstein PSS are:

1. only height adjustable (NOT dampening adjustable)
2. firmer than the Bilstein HD strut/spring combo as mentioned by ZippyGuy above
3. probably more expensive than the others mentioned

Is the above correct? If so, how low can these drop a GS (finger wise)?
Will they fail on me after 2 years like some members have experienced with different coilover setups and strut/spring combos. It sounds to me like they are great quality. Does anyone know of any CL members that have/had them? I'd like to PM them. Thanks again Sean (or is it Shawn). lol
Old 08-17-07, 12:49 PM
ZippyGuy
Lexus Test Driver

2. firmer than the Bilstein HD strut/spring combo as mentioned by ZippyGuy above

Will they fail on me after 2 years like some members have experienced with different coilover setups and strut/spring combos. It sounds to me like they are great quality. Does anyone know of any CL members that have/had them? I'd like to PM them. Thanks again Sean (or is it Shawn). lol
Most of the coilovers the guys use posting on CL will accomplish what you're looking for with regards to safely, smoothly, and stylishly navigating the NYC streets. Specifically addressing your last statement:

1. Correct, you can only adjust the height. Maybe one setting for the winter w/winter tires (18 L-tuned w/Bridgestone AS), another for the summer (18 Axis Milano w/PS2)

2. Stiffer than the HD, more of the feel of a BMW 5 series but still more body roll. The Lexus is a heavier vehicle than the BMW.

3. Not more expensive at all, as a matter of fact I've found them from $1,075 to $1,600. Not intended as a sales pitch but this coilover is the only one I've found that has a lifetime warrantee. If I didn't already have my Tein CS's installed, this would be my choice. I may still get'm if I can't get my CS's dialed in.
Old 08-17-07, 01:03 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Its Sean I've had mine for 2 plus years now with zero issues. The PSS is only height adjustable and self dampening as indicated above. You will experience zero noise with this setup due to the required use of the stock upper suspension hats. Don't recall any complaints on this board regarding the PSS coilovers. Tein SS will give you more of a drop, not sure about the CS model. I have zero gap in the rear at the present time (with 5 threads left) and one finger gap of front with (zero threads left). Heck, it is lower than my 335 with sport pack. The ride is more composed than that of a CS equipped car but softer than a SS equipped car. The cornering is better than a CS equipped car, and on par with an SS equipped car. I've done many out of state jaunts to with my car and let me tell you, it was fun. The car truly feels planted with this setup. I guess you need to ride in some GS's equipped with various suspensions to compare. I will be at the Ross Dock meet with my car if you want to go for a spin.
Old 08-17-07, 02:13 PM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Thanks a lot Sean and Zippy!!! I will most likely go with the Bilstein PSS coilovers! I can't wait. One last thing to further help body roll do you suggest sway bars if so I understand TRD and Daizen are the best...what are your opinions. I think this would complement the PSS coilover setup nicely. Thanks
-Nick
Old 08-19-07, 12:18 PM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

for what you are looking for, stick to tein and get an EDFC. world of diffrences at your finger tips
Old 09-22-07, 07:31 AM
DarKnight
Lexus Champion

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

Thanks a lot Sean and Zippy!!! I will most likely go with the Bilstein PSS coilovers! I can't wait. One last thing to further help body roll do you suggest sway bars if so I understand TRD and Daizen are the best...what are your opinions. I think this would complement the PSS coilover setup nicely. Thanks
-Nick
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=236845