Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

ING's Body Kit Problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-07, 07:16 AM
Chaser07
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ING's Body Kit Problems

Hey Guys,
Just wanted to give you a heads up on "Fiberglass" body kits from INGS. I ordered the rear portion(Rear Bumper) for my IS350 a couple weeks ago, finally got it in and painted it this saturday.

PROBLEM:The sides of our rear bumper has a "Convex" before it heads toward the fenderwell, and this fiberglass kit is flat on the sides, making it hard for the sides to stick with 3M tape since it is constantly trying to pull away from the bumper. I could get some 40/50(2 part expoxy) and make it a permanent attachment but I plan on trading my car in at about 30k-40k miles and that wouldn't go down to well with the trade in value. Well I learned my $400 lesson...Hope you all learn from my mistake.

All in all, stay away from the "Fiberglass" kits and pay a little extra for the plastic version. Not to mention, the plastic kits won't crack on you once you put tme on either.
Old 08-20-07, 07:27 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

can you exchange it for something else? let them know that it doesnt line up and it will not install as is. either get your money back or something different from them to replace it. hope this works out for you...
Old 08-20-07, 08:35 AM
Chaser07
Driver

Default Already been painted

Well in the instructions it said to test fit the piece before installing, which I did. It fit but I didn't think that there would be a problem with the sides "flexing" in to where there would be a problem with it sticking well enough.

Worst comes to worst, I'll scuff my OE bumper down and Epoxy the crap out of it and make it permanent I guess. Thats the only thing that I can think of. Haha Thanks for your input though!

Chase B.
Dallas, Tx
Old 08-20-07, 09:18 AM
Supershyguy
Pole Position

there is no plastic version

both version is fiber glass, one is just more flexable but still fiber glass.
Old 08-20-07, 01:53 PM
Chaser07
Driver

Default I meant generally speaking

I didn't specifically mean the ING kit...Just in general, when available chose the more flexible version or "Plastic". Trust me, I used to be a body technician for 6 years and if there was a plastic version on the ING kit I woud have purchased it.
Old 08-20-07, 02:32 PM
LexIS250SS
Pole Position

Where did you get your INGS kit and how much did you pay? hope you don't mind me asking. Thanks

Last edited by LexIS250SS; 08-20-07 at 02:45 PM.
Old 08-21-07, 07:45 AM
MPstyle
Driver

Polyeurethane is the way to go
Old 08-21-07, 08:38 AM
Chaser07
Driver

Default Where to buy

http://www.grounddynamics.com

I paid $410 shipped just for the rear portion. The bumper arrived within 2 weeks too.
Old 08-22-07, 01:00 AM
eddiec
Pole Position

I bought 4 INGS+1 rear lip around 1 year ago. All of them have the same issue as you mentioned. I just can't figure out the problem because I don't see any complaint from those JP 2IS owners. So I guess the issue is due to the process of painting.
Old 08-22-07, 01:20 AM
808 GS
Rookie

Originally Posted by Chaser07
http://www.grounddynamics.com

I paid $410 shipped just for the rear portion. The bumper arrived within 2 weeks too.
That place sells Ings? The real Ings?
Old 08-22-07, 01:44 AM
CeoStatus0
Pole Position

i don't like fiberglass kits in general
Old 08-22-07, 06:17 AM
Chaser07
Driver

Default Ha...

Originally Posted by 808 GS
That place sells Ings? The real Ings?
I assume so...They drop shipped it directly from the manufacturer.
Old 08-22-07, 06:46 AM
Chaser07
Driver

Default Baking Process?...

Originally Posted by eddiec
I bought 4 INGS+1 rear lip around 1 year ago. All of them have the same issue as you mentioned. I just can't figure out the problem because I don't see any complaint from those JP 2IS owners. So I guess the issue is due to the process of painting.
Well I painted cars for almost 5 years and fiberglass doesnt' shrink. It basically has to do with it being an aftermarket part and they NEVER fit correctly...Especially fiberglass. Thats why we paid $300 bucks for it...You get what you pay for. HAHA

SOLUTION: I am going to take an angle grinder/DA to the lip where the part wont stick, and shave it down to allow the tape to be the first thing that touches the plastic bumper. Part of the reason the sides won't stick is due to the fact that our tape isn't thick enough to make it fit "flush" with that rolled edge on the top portion of the spioler. I actually put 4 strips of automotive 3M tape on top of eachother, hoping that it would be thick enough for it to fit flush and of course it wasn't. Although the sides have about a half inch gap, you don't really notice it unless you're walking over it, but it looks really good from about 20ft away HAHA! My best advice for you all that are having this problem, is to take it to a body shop and have them 2 part epoxy the POS on there. (The stuff that you can substitute in for welding quarter panels on) Well thats my two cents...
Old 08-22-07, 08:11 AM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why dont you just bring it back to the body shop and have them shave and fill it in?
Old 08-22-07, 09:53 AM
CMF
Driver School Candidate

According to the website, you bought a WINGS kit, not an INGS kit. Guess you're right about getting what you paid for.

Quick Reply: ING's Body Kit Problems