Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

help me diagnose my tire wear pattern

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-07, 09:46 PM
tttp5
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help me diagnose my tire wear pattern

I've attached an image showing in red where my front tires have uneven wear pattern. (the places in red have been worn down faster compared to the rest of the tire)

The rear tires seem to have normal wear.

I have new tie rod ends, new steering bushing, and also had alignments done at a lexus dealer. But none of these seem to correct the wear pattern problem.

I need to turn my wheel to the left a bit for the car to drive straight.

Please help with your input.

image located here:
https://www.clublexus.com/gallery/sh...&size=big&cat=
Old 09-04-07, 09:51 PM
tttp5
Pole Position

here is an attachment of the image describing the above.
Attached Thumbnails help me diagnose my tire wear pattern-tirewear.jpg  
Old 09-04-07, 10:06 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

have you tried simply rotating your tires to see if the pull goes away?

what are your alignment settings? just because it was aligned doesn't mean it was good, and "in the green" doesn't always mean a good alignment...

try the first thing, then report back... you could have something as simple as a bad tire, but honestly, it sounds to me like camber/caster is out in the front...
Old 09-04-07, 10:16 PM
tttp5
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mitsuguy
have you tried simply rotating your tires to see if the pull goes away?

what are your alignment settings? just because it was aligned doesn't mean it was good, and "in the green" doesn't always mean a good alignment...

try the first thing, then report back... you could have something as simple as a bad tire, but honestly, it sounds to me like camber/caster is out in the front...
I can't rotate the tires because they are directional. I can try re-mounting them to a different wheel next time at a tire shop and see if that improves the situation.

I don't have the alignment settings from the dealer.

I'm suspecting it something which is maybe suspension component related but I want to see if someone can help me narrow it down.
Old 09-04-07, 10:20 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by tttp5
I can't rotate the tires because they are directional. I can try re-mounting them to a different wheel next time at a tire shop and see if that improves the situation.

I don't have the alignment settings from the dealer.

I'm suspecting it something which is maybe suspension component related but I want to see if someone can help me narrow it down.
unfortunately without more info that is impossible... without looking, I am guessing that you have staggered size wheels/tires front and rear?

You can rotate them side to side and it won't hurt anything - you might miss a little traction and wet weather performance, but the tire won't be harmed by it - really you only need to do it to try and see if the car starts pulling the other way... if it does, it's a tire issue... if not, it's suspension / alignment...

I would say 80% of the alignments that we fix at our shop are due to a car that has a pulling issue - a good alignment tech will be able to compensate for just about anything with caster / camber adjustments - on the flipside, the "stock" settings are very forgiving to an alignment tech, and if extra care isn't taken to observer proper cross caster/camber, then even though the numbers look good, you can still have a pull issue...
Old 09-04-07, 10:28 PM
tttp5
Pole Position

nope. don't have staggered set up. everything is all stock. I'm trying to get it running perfect stock before i add any mods to it.

I'll try the rotate thing once the weather dries up a bit here. I thought it would be very bad to run the tire against its direction so I was refraining from that idea.
Old 09-04-07, 10:32 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by tttp5
nope. don't have staggered set up. everything is all stock. I'm trying to get it running perfect stock before i add any mods to it.

I'll try the rotate thing once the weather dries up a bit here. I thought it would be very bad to run the tire against its direction so I was refraining from that idea.
if they aren't staggered, just rotate front to rear...

chances of having two tires that cause pull on one car are pretty rare...

if you want to be more specific, just rotate one side at a time and see when the change is made...
Old 09-05-07, 09:04 AM
SnShne1jz
Pole Position

Looks like you got a sh1tty alignment. I would take it back and tell them the wheel isn't even straight.
Old 09-05-07, 10:36 PM
tttp5
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SnShne1jz
Looks like you got a sh1tty alignment. I would take it back and tell them the wheel isn't even straight.
i think its probably more than just the alignment related.......
Old 09-08-07, 07:17 PM
1sxyrxy
Lead Lap

take to an alighnment shop. looks to me like you either have something bend. or you toe is really bad. are the edges choppy or just getting a smooth baldness?
Old 09-08-07, 07:44 PM
audi2nr
Lexus Test Driver

1 get new tires, sorry but sometimes you have to, 2 get a new alignment from a new shop, 3 make sure u get an EFFING PRINTOUT OF THE NEW ANGLES! make sure they set the tire pressures to the factory setting or you personal setting and make sure they add weight inside the car while they are doing the alignment!
Old 09-17-07, 09:12 PM
SiennaII's
Driver School Candidate

Yeah, sorry but if the damage is done then you will more than likely need new tires. As far as the wear goes, the alignment is def screwed. Mitsuguy is right, most people who don't know or care what they are doing will set a vehicle to green and ship it. Its up to you to make them do their job sometimes. Rotating will help in deciding if the tires are causing a pull (prob the case due to the steering wheel), but the alignment is def you starting point in finding a solution.
Old 09-18-07, 05:19 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

what you are showing me is rapid toe wear

toe wear will destroy tires quicker then bad camber in fact lots of excessive camber wear comes from bad toe setting

you are scrubbing the tires down the road, your alignment was done very poorly

your rear thrust angle must be set to zero before doing the fronts and most dealers alignment people are just too lazy to fittle with the rear to get it right

your steering wheel is off centered because you rear is out of sync with the front so the front is trying to compensate hence scrubbing the tires sideways

go to a high end aligment shop , get the rear adjusted correctly and get your front total toe under 15 deg , goto to tire shop and flip your front tires , remount and it should wear back in over time

poorly set toe can destroy tires in aslittle as 100 miles
Old 09-18-07, 05:41 AM
sc250tt
Lexus Champion

Are you sure they did an alingment on that No lexus dealer for me then
Cody is right your caster is badly off .Like Lexfor life said also the toe can be off too. from the look of that picture it look like the car was in a bad accident involving the front suspension off setting your caster or the lexus mechanic might be on crack

Last edited by sc250tt; 09-18-07 at 06:00 AM.
Old 09-20-07, 09:17 PM
tttp5
Pole Position

thanks for everyones input.

i do suspect that it could be something to do with the thrust angle of the rear wheels and i hope it can be rectified. i'm going to try a test in a parking garage (flat surface) to see if it will prove my theory.

i'm going to take my car to a frame/alignment shop to see if they can fix the problem.

Quick Reply: help me diagnose my tire wear pattern