Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Steering wheel is killing me

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-07, 10:40 PM
IS_Sunny
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Steering wheel is killing me

I recently had a terrible experience regarding getting an alignment on my 94 Sc300. The thing cost me $160 .. but that is another issue, and another thread. My problem now is as follows:

The alignment of the wheels seems fine. If I let go of the steering wheel, the car will go straight, except the steering wheel is at about 12:07 (assuming 12:00 perfectly centered). If I center the wheel I pull drastically to the left.

I bring the car back to the place, they say ... "oh sorry, we can fix it real quick". I leave my car there, and get it back 9 hours later.

At this point, I just want to be done with this ordeal; however, to my dismay, on the way home I realize that the problem was over corrected. The car still rolls straight w/o pulling, but the wheel will default itself to about 11:53. If I center the wheel I pull drastically to the right.

I searched this, and its not the road, weight in the car, or tire pressure. I assume it that it is just this shops alignment machine or tech, as he was able to switch it from being off center from the right ot the left. This is getting old fast, I am going to go tomorrow and tell them I need this fixed.

1. What is going on here?
2. Can I fix this myself?
3. Can someone tell me if there is something this guy is doing wrong?

4. Could it be something related to other suspension parts (is it "pushing" itself out of whack)?
I did recently blow a left rear tire at 85MPH, but this issue has been, for the most part,
resolved, and I would assume it isn't related. But than again what do I know?

Any help is much appreciated!

Thanks!

Last edited by IS_Sunny; 09-07-07 at 06:47 AM.
Old 09-06-07, 02:22 PM
Luxor
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

I once fixed this problem by simply taking off the steering wheel and putting it on straight. However this was done on a Honda.
Old 09-06-07, 11:52 PM
Fireblaze
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^Lol

I seem to have bad luck with this, as all my cars do the same, and the suspension shops never fix them correctly.
Old 09-07-07, 04:14 AM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

I had the exact same problem. It probably isn't your car, but to find out or not will be a daunting task to ask from the wheel alignment (mine was ok as it was a friend that did mine)....

... it might not be your fault!

...... their wheel alignment machine was out of calibration.
Old 09-07-07, 06:45 AM
IS_Sunny
Lead Lap

I went back to the shop this morning. The mechanic is a really nice guy, and he couldn't believe he was seeing me for the third time this week. He drove it, and agreed it was off, but swore that the machine read it was perfect. He chalked lined the steering wheel last time, so he said there is no way it should be off.

I start mentioning CL to him, and about the various thread I saw about the rack and pinion bushings. He checks it out .... success!

The rack bushings were so rotten that with a finger touch, they just fell apart and came off. This is being caused by the fact that:
A. They are old as hell
B. The fittings on the power steering unit (where you fill it), are leaking. This makes sense, as the last time I checked the fluid the PS was almost dry.

I am buying the bushing now, and the leak on the PS only requires nice new standard washers. Not too bad in my book .... fairly cheap repairs.

Hopefully this helps anyone with the same problem. I will update as the work gets done.

Until then ... drive straight!
Old 09-07-07, 08:35 AM
Fireblaze
Lead Lap

^^ Thanks for the updates, I am going to check mine out, as that is probably the culprit of the problem.
Old 09-07-07, 08:58 AM
UTSC300
Lead Lap

yah keep us updated. I'm interested to see how much bushings are to change out. Cause mine is headed down the same path as urs, just not as bad yet.
Old 09-07-07, 11:55 AM
IS_Sunny
Lead Lap

No doubt I will update.

In the mean time, regarding this issue, here is the best thread ever:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...t=rack+bushing

I just bought the bushings from tmengineering, the site listed in that thread. They were $39.95 with $10 shipping ... so $50.

I could install them myself, but I might just bring it to a shop since I will need someone to straighten out the steering wheel after the bushing anyway. Right?