Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Brake TSIB Complete - Way Better!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-07, 05:22 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts

Well I just got back from the dealership and showed the service rep the TSIB for the brake pads and pointed out that when I had the TSIB fix a few months back that the newer type pads were not used. The service guy told me that they just fixed whatever corporate told them to fix and that they base it on the VIN and according to my VIN said the fix was for a brake squeal issue!? I told him I never had a squealing issue and had the car in for a brake dust issue.

Long story short they ordered me the new pads and will call me when they get them. No charge of course.

Oh one more thing, the service guy asked me where in the heck I found that TSIB printout. I said "clublexus"...and he said you have to love the internet, huh.
Old 10-02-07, 05:05 AM
is250gurl
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

got my new brakes yesterday and i love the feel of them. much more like the normal brakes that i was use to on my others cars in the past. we will see about the dust though because it's been raining and i can't tell if there's a difference yet.
Old 10-03-07, 06:20 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Just got the new pads installed and I made sure this time that the correct ones were used. Took the car on some back roads and did a few 60 to 10mph stops to break in the pads and they feel pretty good. Anxious to see the difference in brake dust.

Old 10-05-07, 01:43 PM
almost_g
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been driving my 2008 IS 250 AWD for 300 miles, and I have so much dust collected on my front rims!!! Is it possible that Lexus reverted to the older brake pads for better performance? Does the TSIB allow me to get the brake pads that produce less brake dust? Thanks!
Old 10-05-07, 06:49 PM
Cleric
Driver

Lexus still produces the IS with the originial (non-tsb) pads. These low dust pads are an alternative to the factory installed pads. You can have the alternative pads installed if you want. Just request your dealer to perform the TSIB for Brake Dust.
Old 10-08-07, 07:44 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Well this weekend I put over 200 miles on the new brakes and I can now confirm that the dust has significantly been reduced. Typically with the stock pads my front wheels would have had a nice layer of black on them, but now their isn't much more dust than the rears. I'd recommend this TSIB to anyone who is bothered by the black brake dust.
Old 10-08-07, 06:52 PM
Cleric
Driver

Originally Posted by caymandive
Well this weekend I put over 200 miles on the new brakes and I can now confirm that the dust has significantly been reduced. Typically with the stock pads my front wheels would have had a nice layer of black on them, but now their isn't much more dust than the rears. I'd recommend this TSIB to anyone who is bothered by the black brake dust.
Pretty much sums up my experience. I have put over 300 miles of city driving and I am amazed at the difference in brake dust, or the lack of I should say. Braking feel is very close to the original pads. For the majority of drivers out there I doubt anyone could detect a difference. I feel slightly more pedal effort is needed to genereate the same amount of stoping power I had with the old pads, more noticeably during the first few brake applications, but no where near unacceptable. For the trade off of drastically reduced brake dust I'm glad I made the switch.
Old 11-09-07, 07:43 PM
phattie
Driver School Candidate

i had mine done about 2 weeks ago..still lots of dust so i decided to check the paper work.. BINGO.. they installed the same pads that came on the car!.. now i have to schedule this thing again.. i wish had checked it before leaving the dealership.
Old 11-21-07, 10:40 AM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Cleric
I just had this TSIB performed on my 350 with 19K miles. The dealer did not replace or resurface the rotors which is what I expected. I could tell immediately the car required more braking effort to stop but I also expected this and here's why. The attached picture shows why it is important to reserve final judgment of the TSIB brake pads until after they have had time to wear in. As you can see the pad x rotor surface area is not being fully utilized due to the wear patterns from the previous brake pad, obviously this can translate into poor braking performance. I just wanted to point this out because most people that have this TSIB done are NOT getting new rotors and it's going to take some time before full braking benefits can be realized. You can test this out yourself by simply spraying your rotors with water. Also this is another reason why one should not be too hard on their brakes just after having them replaced.
Wouldn't getting the rotors resurfaced have prevented the delay for new pads to be as effective? Did you consider it? Isn't resurfacing better when starting out with new pads?

Also, curious how much life your rear pads had at time of swapping the fronts?
Old 11-21-07, 10:42 AM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Took the car on some back roads and did a few 60 to 10mph stops to break in the pads and they feel pretty good.
Is that recommended?
Old 11-21-07, 10:59 AM
ba-b4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Just got mine done yesterday. They don't feel as strong but then again they're not broken in. I'm sure it'll only get better later. Pedal feel is better though and less like an on off switch. No regrets so far!
Old 12-06-07, 05:06 AM
IAMJAVEDG
Lexus Champion

going to get mine done right now ... only got 7900 miles. but the dust is annoyingggggg and im very picky.. I hate cleaning my wheels and then they dont stay clean for even 2 days -_-
Old 12-10-07, 04:39 PM
Chirodan
Rookie

same here.... no difference noticed at all. I'm so glad I had them do it!
Old 12-12-07, 05:46 AM
Chi-town
Pole Position

These new pads are the best thing since sliced bread; for fence-sitters (that's me) they are a must do! Don't delay this...save yourself some carwash agony, reap the rewards of dust-free wheels today!
Old 12-12-07, 08:39 PM
tmag
Pole Position

Well I just got back from the dealership and showed the service rep the TSIB for the brake pads and pointed out that when I had the TSIB fix a few months back that the newer type pads were not used. The service guy told me that they just fixed whatever corporate told them to fix and that they base it on the VIN and according to my VIN said the fix was for a brake squeal issue!? I told him I never had a squealing issue and had the car in for a brake dust issue.

Long story short they ordered me the new pads and will call me when they get them. No charge of course.

Oh one more thing, the service guy asked me where in the heck I found that TSIB printout. I said "clublexus"...and he said you have to love the internet, huh.
My dealer did this to me too. Gave me the squeeky brakes TSIB even though the original write up clearly states that customer complains about dust.! When I pointed this out to my service advisor we went to this music and dance about rotors being resurfaced and actually getting more work done as compared to the other TSIB. Just sick of being away from my car so I have not brought it back there yet. My question is if they did resurface my rotors can I still get the dust TSIB done?

Quick Reply: Brake TSIB Complete - Way Better!!!