Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Brake TSIB Complete - Way Better!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-07, 10:39 PM
Pwyll
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake TSIB Complete - Way Better!!!

I had some time this weekend, so I called Lexus yesterday about the TSIB for the brake pads.

I've had enough of washing the rims every few days and in between washes and then driving only 15 miles or so just to get a nice coat of black powder all over again.

Without any hesitation, they checked the parts, told me they were in-stock and said to come in first thing this morning.

After I left, I put about 125 miles on the car cruising around on this beautiful Long Island day. I drove her pretty hard periodically as well.

When I got home, the rims looked as clean as they did when I left the service department (I had them only wash the rims - never the car!). The difference was unbelievable.

Even better is that the performance is no different. I discussed this with the service tech. and he said he has been doing tons of these jobs on the IS' and GS'. He said the pads perform equally, both performance oriented.

What a difference. For those of you that are as **** about your car as I am, you'll be really suprised with the results.
Old 09-15-07, 11:35 PM
omd316
Driver

Originally Posted by Pwyll
I had some time this weekend, so I called Lexus yesterday about the TSIB for the brake pads.

I've had enough of washing the rims every few days and in between washes and then driving only 15 miles or so just to get a nice coat of black powder all over again.

Without any hesitation, they checked the parts, told me they were in-stock and said to come in first thing this morning.

After I left, I put about 125 miles on the car cruising around on this beautiful Long Island day. I drove her pretty hard periodically as well.

When I got home, the rims looked as clean as they did when I left the service department (I had them only wash the rims - never the car!). The difference was unbelievable.

Even better is that the performance is no different. I discussed this with the service tech. and he said he has been doing tons of these jobs on the IS' and GS'. He said the pads perform equally, both performance oriented.

What a difference. For those of you that are as **** about your car as I am, you'll be really suprised with the results.

yea I recently talked to service at the local lexus dealer and he said that changing the pads would reduce performance and not be as good as my current brake pads .. how true is that ?
Old 09-16-07, 05:25 AM
ahohnstein
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by omd316
yea I recently talked to service at the local lexus dealer and he said that changing the pads would reduce performance and not be as good as my current brake pads .. how true is that ?
IMHOyYour service advisor is exactly right. I had the brakes replaced and the new ones have decidedly worse performance. I have to really get on them to stop in the short distances that I used to. It used to be that I didn't worry a single bit about whether or not someone quickly stopped in front of me; I had impressive braking power. Now... I have to be more careful of how much distance I leave between me and teh car in front.

Next time I change my tires (at 20K right now) I'll be asking them to replace with the older composition brakes. I'd much rather have the dust than this.
Old 09-16-07, 06:10 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I had mine done Friday and at this point I don't feel any difference when braking.
I'm glad I made the change.
Looking forward to much less brake dust.
Old 09-16-07, 08:28 AM
Pwyll
Driver

Absolutely NO change in performance for me, and I am very sensitive to it. Maybe they updated the pads in recent replacements in recognition of previous performance complaints.
Old 09-16-07, 09:56 AM
l1tech
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ahohnstein
IMHOyYour service advisor is exactly right. I had the brakes replaced and the new ones have decidedly worse performance. I have to really get on them to stop in the short distances that I used to. It used to be that I didn't worry a single bit about whether or not someone quickly stopped in front of me; I had impressive braking power. Now... I have to be more careful of how much distance I leave between me and teh car in front.

Next time I change my tires (at 20K right now) I'll be asking them to replace with the older composition brakes. I'd much rather have the dust than this.
Perhaps you better have them rechecked, I measured the distance it took my car to stop 3 times with the old pads and then had the new pads installed and redid the measurement 3 more times...there was no average difference. On the other hand you may be confusing the lack of feel of the initial bite with the new pads verses the old pads as a lack of braking performance..
Old 09-16-07, 10:19 AM
omgitsroy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

i'm going to guess that 350 and 250 brake pads will feel different...
Old 09-16-07, 10:44 AM
Pwyll
Driver

moved where?
Old 09-17-07, 10:09 AM
tmag
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Pwyll

Which TSIB did they perform BR002-06 or BR001-07? I guess BR002-06 is suppose to be for break dust only and BR001-07 is for both dust and squeeking for the 250. I complained about the dust and they performed BR001-07 TSIB.
Old 09-17-07, 06:12 PM
ajmtbm
Pole Position

are there different pads inatelled on each one? seems odd theyw ould have 3 types of pads...
Old 09-17-07, 07:19 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,963 Likes on 2,400 Posts

Originally Posted by ahohnstein

Did they put the grease on the wrong side of the pads? That's what it sounds like. This is not at all representative of my experience with these pads. I'd ask them to do it again and do it right.
Old 09-18-07, 09:29 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Has anyone tried any very hard braking from around 100 MPH? I'm curious if they make any noise. I recently noticed that my stock (high friction) pads mike quite a bit of noise under those conditions. It's quite dissapointing.
Old 09-23-07, 11:29 AM
Cleric
Driver

I just had this TSIB performed on my 350 with 19K miles. The dealer did not replace or resurface the rotors which is what I expected. I could tell immediately the car required more braking effort to stop but I also expected this and here's why. The attached picture shows why it is important to reserve final judgment of the TSIB brake pads until after they have had time to wear in. As you can see the pad x rotor surface area is not being fully utilized due to the wear patterns from the previous brake pad, obviously this can translate into poor braking performance. I just wanted to point this out because most people that have this TSIB done are NOT getting new rotors and it's going to take some time before full braking benefits can be realized. You can test this out yourself by simply spraying your rotors with water. Also this is another reason why one should not be too hard on their brakes just after having them replaced.
Attached Thumbnails Brake TSIB Complete - Way Better!!!-100_1537.jpg  

Last edited by Cleric; 09-23-07 at 06:27 PM.
Old 09-26-07, 06:46 PM
Hartawan
Former Vendor

You need sometime to let the brakes break-in, cant compare your old brakes to some brand new brands.

Anyways, I got mine done and I already notice the difference. Its the 2nd day and I didnt have to wipe my rims.*sigh of relief*
Old 09-26-07, 07:33 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My 350 got the new brake pads, and I find no difference in braking quality nor performance...

Quick Reply: Brake TSIB Complete - Way Better!!!