Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Brake Problem! Help Please. Driveable?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-07, 01:39 PM
93SC300.
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nevermind. didnt work. still squeaks. maybe a warped rotor.
Old 09-24-07, 07:10 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,982 Likes on 2,410 Posts

Originally Posted by mitsuguy
If I had a weekend racer and went through a set of pads in a weekend, I would not turn rotors every weekend, I would simply pad slap it and call it a day... I would be staying with the exact replacement pad, things like brake squeal and such I wouldn't care about...(and more stuff) ...
OK. I've done this for years. Like since 1980. If you can't change pads yourself, labor may be an issue. But if you can, it's a whole lot cheaper to stuff in a new set of pads, bed them in, and call it a day. Take 10 minutes with garnet paper to scuff the old crap off and you're done. They don't squeal, they don't squeak, they just stop reliably. In fact the vast majority of squeals on street vehicles can be eliminated by simply bedding the pads properly. Street cars never even get brakes hot worth mentioning compared to race duty.

0.020" is 0.5mm. That's between 16% and 25% of the entire service life of the disc depending on the disc. So if the disc is intended to last 60k miles, you've just removed a minimum 10k miles from the service life, and brought that second labor charge 10k miles closer.

I paid $65 each for the front discs on my TT Supra, and $87 each for the rears (they were all below service limits). For the cost of centerless grinding, it's not cost effective to do anything but replace them. Turning them on a lathe only makes things worse for a lot of reasons. They're not flat, they're unlikely to be genuinely true, and they're covered with folded metal which only burns off quickly and reduces the service life further.

I've done this stuff many, many times without issue on street and race vehicles. You want me to believe turning rotors is good and cost effective. I know it's not. No manufacturer currently recommends turning or grinding rotors unless there is a compelling reason, including Lexus. Changing pads is not a compelling reason, and Lexus did not turn or grind the rotors in my IS350 when I got the TSIB brake pad replacement. I would have been pissed off if they had.
Old 09-24-07, 07:20 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
OK. I've done this for years. Like since 1980. If you can't change pads yourself, labor may be an issue. But if you can, it's a whole lot cheaper to stuff in a new set of pads, bed them in, and call it a day. Take 10 minutes with garnet paper to scuff the old crap off and you're done. They don't squeal, they don't squeak, they just stop reliably. In fact the vast majority of squeals on street vehicles can be eliminated by simply bedding the pads properly. Street cars never even get brakes hot worth mentioning compared to race duty.

0.020" is 0.5mm. That's between 16% and 25% of the entire service life of the disc depending on the disc. So if the disc is intended to last 60k miles, you've just removed a minimum 10k miles from the service life, and brought that second labor charge 10k miles closer.

I paid $65 each for the front discs on my TT Supra, and $87 each for the rears (they were all below service limits). For the cost of centerless grinding, it's not cost effective to do anything but replace them. Turning them on a lathe only makes things worse for a lot of reasons. They're not flat, they're unlikely to be genuinely true, and they're covered with folded metal which only burns off quickly and reduces the service life further.

I've done this stuff many, many times without issue on street and race vehicles. You want me to believe turning rotors is good and cost effective. I know it's not. No manufacturer currently recommends turning or grinding rotors unless there is a compelling reason, including Lexus. Changing pads is not a compelling reason, and Lexus did not turn or grind the rotors in my IS350 when I got the TSIB brake pad replacement. I would have been pissed off if they had.
it's k... i've been doing it since the mid 90's...

at any rate, lets just agree to disagree... what works for you, specifically being tech savvy is not the same as what works for people who hate putting gas in their cars...

unfortunately, 95% of the people on the road (and I'd guesstimate 60% or better of the people on this board) don't share our ability to work on cars, specifically safety related things, like brakes...