Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Anyone completely replaced their suspension?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-07, 11:23 AM
SC3005SPD1
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Anyone completely replaced their suspension?

Everytime I ride in a newer car and then ride in mine I can totally feel the difference. My front end rattles, I need a upper control arm for the right rear wheel. Question is how can I get the car back to riding like its new? Change shocks, ball joints, and all upper and lower control arms? Or just the bushings.... If anyone has done this about how much did it cost? Where did you get the parts? (daizen?)

Last edited by SC3005SPD1; 09-19-07 at 11:31 AM. Reason: add
Old 09-27-07, 10:02 PM
Lexus082
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How many miles do you have on the car and what year is it?
Old 09-27-07, 10:22 PM
One HoT
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Brian, sounds like you'll need a whole new suspension overhaul...Ride quality suffers mainly because the bushings go bad if you have more than 120K....

Change the following items:

1) Bushings LCA, UCA, Fr & Rr
2) Shocks, springs
3) Steering rack bushing
4) Sway bar bushing
5) Get an alignment
6) Check your tire pressure

It's not going to be cheap, your looking at least 1.5k or more with labor...

I have Tein CS with all Daizen bushings...This combo will cost probably 2 times the cost than what I suggested above..But in the end, it rides and drives like a Lexus should..

Last edited by One HoT; 09-27-07 at 10:27 PM.
Old 11-12-07, 08:08 PM
SC3005SPD1
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by One HoT
Brian, sounds like you'll need a whole new suspension overhaul...Ride quality suffers mainly because the bushings go bad if you have more than 120K....

Change the following items:

1) Bushings LCA, UCA, Fr & Rr
2) Shocks, springs
3) Steering rack bushing
4) Sway bar bushing
5) Get an alignment
6) Check your tire pressure

It's not going to be cheap, your looking at least 1.5k or more with labor...

I have Tein CS with all Daizen bushings...This combo will cost probably 2 times the cost than what I suggested above..But in the end, it rides and drives like a Lexus should..
Damn i forgot about this thread lol... should I upgrade the sway bars while im at it? I seen some daizen for the mkiv for a good price..
Old 11-13-07, 12:09 PM
twizted
Instructor

Ive replaced every component of mine ide say your rattle is comming mainly from lower control arm bushings. The uppers dont really wear out bad from what ive seen. Somthing was not designed quite right with the geometry of the lowers so it eats them up...
Old 11-13-07, 08:44 PM
SC3005SPD1
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by twizted
Ive replaced every component of mine ide say your rattle is comming mainly from lower control arm bushings. The uppers dont really wear out bad from what ive seen. Somthing was not designed quite right with the geometry of the lowers so it eats them up...
I dont know it kind of feels like the ball joint.... ive had that feeling before in another car and they changed the ball joint and the car rode fine afterward. Im in nyc=pot hole city so its possible the ball is shot. Ima take it to have it looked at to get a final say
Old 11-14-07, 01:09 PM
twizted
Instructor

Originally Posted by SC3005SPD1
I dont know it kind of feels like the ball joint.... ive had that feeling before in another car and they changed the ball joint and the car rode fine afterward. Im in nyc=pot hole city so its possible the ball is shot. Ima take it to have it looked at to get a final say
Well i hope for you its not a ball joint because that means new lower control arms and that is $$$$. Like you said you need to check it out though... I had mine poped off anyway to replace the bushings so i could see. You can just look and see when a bushing is all apart pretty much...
Old 11-14-07, 06:14 PM
ChronoJ1
Lexus Champion

I have
- 18x10 all around
- Tein Basic
- Daizen lower control arm bushing
- Daizen Steering rack bushing

Ride....

Stiff as hell. Jaw breaking.

Handling...

Mediocre

I will have Energy front sway bar bushing installed this weekend. Hope this helps the handling a little.
Old 11-14-07, 06:37 PM
twizted
Instructor

Originally Posted by ChronoJ1
I have
- 18x10 all around
- Tein Basic
- Daizen lower control arm bushing
- Daizen Steering rack bushing

Ride....

Stiff as hell. Jaw breaking.

Handling...

Mediocre

I will have Energy front sway bar bushing installed this weekend. Hope this helps the handling a little.
Thats weird, i would have to say that was do to the tein basic. I have all diazen, all arms, sway bushings exc. with tokico and eibach and its not stiff or jaw breaking. Rides quite nice and im on 20's....
Old 11-16-07, 08:33 PM
SC3005SPD1
Lead Lap

Im gonna take it to the mechanic probally weds morning and have them put it on the lift and go from there. I neva felt how a lexus sc is supposed to ride. I cant bear to stand it anymore.... btw I have tt eibachs and tt shocks all around. 19x8.5 19x9x5
Old 11-16-07, 10:04 PM
Lexus082
Pole Position

Say the springs are sagging, but are 13 years old. Do springs really wear. Does the spring rate change over time from wear even a slight change?

I have replaced the entire front suspension except for the springs and the upper control arms. Everything else is new. I am now working on the rear suspension and have changed the upper mounts, shocks, sway bar bushings, spring bumpers and spring insulators. It was worth the money in my opinion. I bought all the rear control arms with only 30,000 miles for $100 and I plan to change all those out when I install new wheel bearings. Then I plan to get new front upper control arms and then possibly change all the springs out as well. I think they're only like $60 each so its not that bad. At this time I want to keep it stock. The rear suspension feels great. There's still something in the front that is kinda rough when hitting a bump so I plan to change out the front wheel bearings and upper control arms. Its not cheap to do but well worth it.
Old 11-17-07, 02:44 PM
SC3005SPD1
Lead Lap

Ok... i just took the car to a random mechanic to have them put it on a lift to see what they say.
Verdict:
BAD: Passenger ball joint
BAD: Pass&Driver inner and outer tie rods
BAD: Sway bar links
BAD: Pass&Driver LCA bushing
OK: Driver ball joint (but he said to change it, its gonna go soon)

Where and what parts should i get? Im kinda leaning toward supra mkiv because of better make and its cheaper than lexus parts.

question: 1. should i upgrade the sway bar? 2. Change the front shocks? I bought them used with my tt eibach springs
Old 11-18-07, 03:02 PM
ChronoJ1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by twizted
Thats weird, i would have to say that was do to the tein basic. I have all diazen, all arms, sway bushings exc. with tokico and eibach and its not stiff or jaw breaking. Rides quite nice and im on 20's....
Wow, i just got my front sway bar bushing replaced.
I have to say, this has made the handling better than replacing all the aforementioned suspension parts.
Old 11-23-07, 08:00 PM
SC3005SPD1
Lead Lap

question.... can i use 97-00 control arms? Im gonna look into some used ones from states with smoother roads... ANYWHERE BUT NYC!!!
Old 12-08-07, 02:17 PM
spoiledkid
Pole Position

i've had the same issue in all 3 of my sc300 ranging from 92 to 97. i've had every single suspension peice redone. i can tell you right not its most probably upper balljoints because thats what happened to all of my sc's or a bent wheel. i would suggest replacing the control arms.