Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Problem. Breaks?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-07, 09:18 PM
scENFORCER
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Problem. Breaks?

I'm having a problem with my 1995 sc400. Its happened to me 3 times already..
First Time: I was crusin' along at approximately 60 Km/h (Sorry, I'm CDN), when I noticed that my steering wheel started to shutter. Then as I gave it gas the car was not responding like it should. RPM's went up as usual, but the car did not accelerate. So I pulled over right away thinking it was flat tire. I took at quick visual check, poped the hood, and saw nothing wrong. I hopped back in, started her up, and she ran normally for the rest of the day.
Second Time: Crusin' along at approximately 40 km/h the next day, when the same thing happened again (minus the steering wheel shutter). The car was hesitating as I gave it gas. It felt like I was pressing the break pedal at the same time as the gas, when obviously I wasn't. I drove for about another block or so, and noticed that the break pedal was extremely stiff, I could not press it down any further, although it was not compressed at all. So I pulled over at school, went to class, came back, and she ran normally for the rest of the day.
Third Time: Today, same thing on the highway. I had to pull over to the shoulder 3 times and turn the car off hoping that it would 'reset' itself as it had the previous 2 times. However this time it didn't. It felt like the breaks were applying themselves as I was driving. I also heard a very smooth grinding exactly how I would think an applied break would sound while driving. At one point I didn't even need to press to break to stop the car at a light, it would almost immediately stop itself. Once again I did a visual check on the breaks, and everything seemed fine. I touched the rotors and they were warm, but not red-hot as I was expecting if the breaks were on as I was driving.
Also, obviously the e-break was not on. However I do think that the e-break may be applied even though I put the handle down, and no 'BREAK' light appears in my dash..

My dad knows a lot about cars and obviously when he test drove it there was no problem. He said that from what I told him the transmission is going, because the car is not pulling when I give it gas. However I really don't think this is the case. To me it really sounds and feels like the breaks.
The problem only appears to happen in the mornings on my way to school, then is usually fine for the rest of the day.
Tomorrow (Thursday) morning I'm going to take it in to check out the breaks, but wanted to hear what you guys think may be the problem..
Thanks in advance!

Last edited by scENFORCER; 09-19-07 at 09:23 PM.
Old 09-19-07, 09:29 PM
MCG33
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure about the brakes, but the sluggishness sounds like your torque converter acting up. Had the same problem with mine (shuddering, sluggish when i hit the gas, then would be fine next minute) so i checked my trans fluid and it looked like a chocolate shake. After about 4 drains over the last couple of weeks the fluid is coming out much cleaner and I haven't had that tc shudder since. Maybe it is just a coincidence, but I would look into that as well if I were you. Sounds like your dad knows whats up.
Old 09-19-07, 09:35 PM
scENFORCER
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MCG33
Not sure about the brakes, but the sluggishness sounds like your torque converter acting up. Had the same problem with mine (shuddering, sluggish when i hit the gas, then would be fine next minute) so i checked my trans fluid and it looked like a chocolate shake. After about 4 drains over the last couple of weeks the fluid is coming out much cleaner and I haven't had that tc shudder since. Maybe it is just a coincidence, but I would look into that as well if I were you. Sounds like your dad knows whats up.
I actually changed my transmission fluid today. We'll see what happens tommorow..
Old 09-19-07, 09:39 PM
Rexn30
Pole Position

If your rpms are going up, but yet the car isn't going anywhere seems to me your clutches are going bad, maybe they got too hot. When you changed the fluid did it smell burnt and was realllly black?
Old 09-19-07, 09:55 PM
TheMole
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

How many miles are on your car? Check your brake calipers as there is a chance they are starting to seize or have seized already.
Old 09-19-07, 10:04 PM
scENFORCER
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by sc300max
How many miles are on your car? Check your brake calipers as there is a chance they are starting to seize or have seized already.
121,xxx miles
Old 09-19-07, 10:20 PM
scENFORCER
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Rexn30
If your rpms are going up, but yet the car isn't going anywhere seems to me your clutches are going bad, maybe they got too hot. When you changed the fluid did it smell burnt and was realllly black?
I got it changed at Mr. Lube since I don't have the proper place to do it myself. Therefore I didn't get a look at it, but I'm assuming it hasn't been changed since new..
Old 09-26-07, 12:50 AM
scENFORCER
Lexus Champion

Alright so I got an oil change, transmission fluid change, and 4 new break pads. They said the rest of the breaking system is fine. However the problem persists, although not as prominent as before. Interesting to note, this only happens in the mornings about 10 minutes into the drive. Then its fine for the rest of the day.
After watching them change my pads, they had to bleed the breaks on my front left. It kinda got me thinking that possibly there is too much pressure in the lines, which might be causing the breaks to apply randomly?
Any further opinions would be MUCH appreciated, as this is starting to really concern me..
Old 10-10-07, 10:46 PM
scENFORCER
Lexus Champion

No help??
Okay, maybe this will help you guys help me diagnose my problem..
I found out that the problem goes away completely when I turn my TRAC off. So I'm guessing its a computer problem. I figure that Traction-Control works by applying the breaks when the car thinks its not gripping. So potentially the Traction-Control system is broken?
If this is the case, would I need a whole new system? Or could it just be a sensor?

- Sammy
Old 10-11-07, 06:41 AM
RedPhoenix
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Could be the sensors on the wheels themselves. You could just pull the fuse for trac
Old 10-11-07, 09:14 PM
scENFORCER
Lexus Champion

Poop! Now the problem is reoccurring with TRAC off!!!
Old 11-07-07, 11:45 AM
narfy
Lead Lap

check your abs reluctor wheels, possibly on the rear drive shafts... see if they've cracked or become very dirty...
Old 01-23-08, 09:34 AM
tuninghaus
Lead Lap

i know it's been a while but did you ever figure out your problem?
Old 01-23-08, 06:25 PM
scENFORCER
Lexus Champion

Master Cylinder..

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=329115
Old 01-23-08, 11:22 PM
FormosaSC
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

good find, now you dont have to sell your car.

Quick Reply: Problem. Breaks?