Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Attn Lex Owners... Cheapest Supra Brakes New!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-07, 11:20 AM
WICKED SC4
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by GSspeed
okay well i wanted to do this to my GS so i think im gonna go this way instead of going through www.ltunedparts.com, because theres in 899 for a kit

So....
since i dont have checkers here, i guess there sister company is Kragen in california

i order the left and right supra Turbo calipers
then order SS lines, but what brand
pads, EBC??
how about a shim kit that i hear is needed
how about mounting hardware, ie, bolts, dust guards, etc...
i dont even know where to start looking to get these
I would go for EBC redstuff for your car since your car is heavier... Try upgrading to a grooved or dimpled rotor just not cross drilled. (they crack!) A good one is Procast rotors from the brake man, they are also cryo treated so you can actually use these on a track with no problems. They make the best rotors in the world, the patented Hurricane rotor, check them out give em a call. They also have good pads and the best brake fluid you can buy.

http://thebrakeman.com/

Here is a site with all the part #'s you need to do the swap. (shims, ect, ect)The site also has the Supra TT Calipers with upgraded rotors performance compared to supercars. They have pictures how to do the swap step by step.

Just only the Supra TT front calipers with mintex slotted rotors in stock size have 1,750 Brake Horsepower!!!! If you upgrade the Supra rotors with a aftermarket floating 14" rotor that figure can go well over 2000BHP!!!. NO OTHER brake kit in the world can do that with a 4 PISTON CALIPER!! Only exception being maybe the brake man.

http://planetsoarer.com/suprabrakesI...akeUpgrade.htm

Last edited by WICKED SC4; 10-08-07 at 11:32 AM.
Old 10-08-07, 11:21 AM
WICKED SC4
Driver

Originally Posted by drft_n_sc
Well from what I understand, the TT is a superior setup, but not by much. I think the TT is slightly larger. However the LS is lighter and cheaper. I was impressed with the weight of the LS in comparison to my stock SC calipers, HUGE DIFFERENCE. I just order my rotors and I'm polishing my calipers, so it will be a few days before I slap them on the car. As far as compatability, both will fit the SC, the LS will need washers or shorter bolts, and I think the TT will bolt right up. You will have to remove the dust guard for either set. And you will also need a set of wheels that will clear the bigger calipers.

How much is the LS setup? the Supra is $115/ea
Old 10-08-07, 04:18 PM
RikTT
Pole Position

i have the tt's setup at all four corners w/ stock booster and valve. Weight is way different though i had the tt wheels b4 brake upgrade.TT wheels or high disk wheels needed for tt's.Can get away with 17 's on ls.TT bolts right up w/ dust sheild removal or trimmed edge as i did.The thing STOPS> really.Barely no fading and im on stock used pads/rotors from my mk4.Can brake very late into turns and feel a lil better with better brakes for "highway runs"
Old 10-09-07, 12:12 PM
WICKED SC4
Driver

I would not want to chance it going with the LS400 brakes. That car wasn't really designed to go at rediclous speeds and panic stop multiple times like the Supra's system was. I would trust the Supra brakes at speed more than the LS.

The other day, I was doing 160+mph in the SC400 (I don't ever do that usually) and I have the stockers and it was a bit scary coming down from that speed. Of course compared to the Singled Supra at 180mph. The Supra feels secure at any speed, you feel like you can mash on it @180mph and it will stop. I didn't have any condfidence in the SC's brakes, I pressed on them at 160mph they almost immediately faded and heated up to their limit~ and I was still doing 140. I have aftermarket pads too.

I'm going Supra calipers with aftermarket 14" rotors even if I have to make the caliper hanger in a CNC shop myself. I don't ever want to play around with death like that again if I don't have to. Brakes are cheap insurance for me. Better to spend extra $100 and get Supra spec than hoping and praying the LS brakes will hold. My $0.02
Old 10-11-07, 06:44 AM
RedPhoenix
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Of course you did it on the track right haha

I know what you mean. 140mph and the SC stock brakes literally laughed at me.
Old 10-11-07, 06:54 AM
WICKED SC4
Driver

Originally Posted by RedPhoenix
Of course you did it on the track right haha

I know what you mean. 140mph and the SC stock brakes literally laughed at me.
Actually, I was at the track- you'd never guess where. Las Vegas Super Speedway! I got to drive on the banking and the tri oval, I was doing 110 in the banked corners on the banking and ~160-162 on the straight. Kinda scary the first time coming down from 160 and the car doesn't stop. When I looked at the brake rotors after I did this, they were mirrors with blue spots on them. That is probably what wore my tires down so much- 30 laps of that speed on the banking, can't be good on the tires. These were brand new! I also noticed going right(reverse direction) the rearview mirror is exactly in the way of where the car is going, you cannot see without stooping waaay down or over, and going left you are looking out the side window to see where you are going.

Man that banking is really banked. It feels like 55-60 degrees. You can really feel the G forces push you way down in the bottom of your seat. I had to use engine braking after the first lap to get down from speed, if you do it slowly you wont upset the car and not need the crappy brakes. Time for upgrade!

Last edited by WICKED SC4; 10-11-07 at 07:01 AM.
Old 10-13-07, 05:32 PM
1SicLex
Driver School Candidate

my friend had a ls400 brake on his sc300, i sat in it and we tested the brakes, then a few weeks later he changed to supra tt, again i sat in there and couldnt feel the difference going from 0-60 then a full stop.
Old 10-15-07, 06:34 AM
WICKED SC4
Driver

Originally Posted by 1SicLex
my friend had a ls400 brake on his sc300, i sat in it and we tested the brakes, then a few weeks later he changed to supra tt, again i sat in there and couldnt feel the difference going from 0-60 then a full stop.
You wouldn't feel any difference from 60 because that isn't where the difference is. Part of the reason is a "street" tire cannot put all the stopping power from a Supra Brake to the ground until 100+ mph, the LS brakes would be the same. They both are more powerful than a street tire under 100 mph. The difference would be at a road course or highway pull at triple digit speeds, where the fade resistance and brake horsepower could be shown. Most drivers wouldn't have the ***** to be able to even get the brakes to the limit, so I wouldn't be suprised at all that it felt no different back to back from your friend's SC.

"Your brakes no matter how good they are are only as good as the tires on the car."
Old 10-15-07, 01:09 PM
sxylxy
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by WICKED SC4
You wouldn't feel any difference from 60 because that isn't where the difference is. Part of the reason is a "street" tire cannot put all the stopping power from a Supra Brake to the ground until 100+ mph, the LS brakes would be the same. They both are more powerful than a street tire under 100 mph. The difference would be at a road course or highway pull at triple digit speeds, where the fade resistance and brake horsepower could be shown. Most drivers wouldn't have the ***** to be able to even get the brakes to the limit, so I wouldn't be suprised at all that it felt no different back to back from your friend's SC.

"Your brakes no matter how good they are are only as good as the tires on the car."
"Brake horsepower?!" Where do you guys get this stuff... lol
Old 10-15-07, 02:14 PM
Durrr
Lead Lap

There's brake horsepower stat. Look up where the supra sits in terms of brake horsepower, its in the top 4 for the 94 model year (beat by a ferarri, porsche and another exotic).

I picked up everything for all 4 corners for about 600 bucks for Supra TT setup. Just be patient in looking for parts.

pads, fluid, SS lines, calipers, rotors, speed bleeders.
Old 10-15-07, 03:05 PM
FormosaSC
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RedPhoenix
i got a friend at advance auto, i can get them and waive the core charge by returning my sc400 brakes
do they usually check? i wanna do this
Old 10-15-07, 05:55 PM
sxylxy
Lead Lap

The LS brakes are great on my car, the weak link is the master cylinder, brakes feel mushy even with steel lines, but when it finally catches it DEF catches!
Old 10-16-07, 07:53 PM
kyoso23
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Durrr
There's brake horsepower stat. Look up where the supra sits in terms of brake horsepower, its in the top 4 for the 94 model year (beat by a ferarri, porsche and another exotic).

I picked up everything for all 4 corners for about 600 bucks for Supra TT setup. Just be patient in looking for parts.

pads, fluid, SS lines, calipers, rotors, speed bleeders.
"Brake Horse Power" is a "Horse Power" measurement @ the crank, yo. It's a measurement of the engine without drivetrain/accessory loss. lol

Last edited by kyoso23; 10-16-07 at 07:57 PM.
Old 10-17-07, 06:50 AM
WICKED SC4
Driver

Originally Posted by kyoso23
"Brake Horse Power" is a "Horse Power" measurement @ the crank, yo. It's a measurement of the engine without drivetrain/accessory loss. lol
Actually you can measure a bicycle's horepower at the wheel. It is not a measurement only tied to a car. Heck your lawnmower is rated in Brake horsepower. (5 BHP) Horsepower is an certain amount of work done over a period of time, you could measure your arm muscle in horsepower. It is just a measurement of work over time.

Yes the brakes have a horsepower rating. Its very high for the Supra's. Actually "brake" horsepower means that the amount of work the engine or brake or whatever will stop (x) amount of load over a period of time. WHP usually reffers to chassis dyno horsepower after drivetrain losses, Crank or flywheel HP reffers to the horsepower of the engine with nothing attached to it.

Rule of thumb: Have more "brake caliper" horsepower than "Engine" hp!
Old 10-17-07, 01:02 PM
BLovesc
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know autozone gets remanned ones for cheap but smetimes they cant get both sides haha it happened to my friend

Quick Reply: Attn Lex Owners... Cheapest Supra Brakes New!!!