Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Painting brake caliper.

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-07, 08:18 AM
Vadim
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Painting brake caliper.

Hi guys.
I setup on your Lexus SС 300 new brake travel from Toyota Supra Turbo, brake caliper, rotor and pads.
I want to dye these brake extremely red and white or a silver-painted inscription Lexus.
What is the maximum temperature should be paint for painting brake caliper ?
Where can I buy a thermotolerant red and white or silver paint to paint brake caliper ?
Who among you personally done this work-share experiences.
Thanks to you, Vadim.
Attached Thumbnails Painting brake caliper.-158.jpg  
Old 10-05-07, 10:00 AM
skubasteev
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Vadim,
I'm not sure about outside the US, but most autoparts stores here will carry "engine enamel" or "high heat" spray paint. Engine enamel is rated to about 500 degrees F and high heat is rated to 1000+ degrees F. I've used the engine enamel on calipers in the past with no problems, and it's held up fine over a few years time.
Old 10-05-07, 10:17 AM
Vadim
Driver

Originally Posted by skubasteev
Vadim,
I'm not sure about outside the US, but most autoparts stores here will carry "engine enamel" or "high heat" spray paint. Engine enamel is rated to about 500 degrees F and high heat is rated to 1000+ degrees F. I've used the engine enamel on calipers in the past with no problems, and it's held up fine over a few years time.
Steve-greetings.
Thank you for having responded to me. You know, I live in Russia. I can not buy in my city (Yekaterinburg, the Urals) of paint. Make me ask you a site or shop where I can order and pay for such paint.
Sincerely, Vadim.
Old 10-05-07, 10:58 AM
skubasteev
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think you'd probably have the most luck with a large online retailer like Amazon for international shipping. They have a couple of options, and a pretty large selection of colors.

Some options:
Duplicolor Caliper Paint Kit
G2 Caliper Painting Kit
Duplicolor Engine Enamel
Duplicolor High Heat

The caliper painting kits are painted on with a brush, the others are spray paints. I've seen good results with both, but I've used the spray paints in the past because they're cheaper.
Old 10-05-07, 01:59 PM
SCpwner
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also Vadim, if you use the spray be sure to remove everything except for the rotor. Here is a quick DYI that i am quoting Blizzy (another CL member) on.

Brake caliper paint shopping list:
(1) Wire Brush - $3
(1) Pair of Jack Stands - $20
(1) Sm. Roll of Painters Tape - $3
(1) Sheet of Painter's Plastic - $5
(1) 1200*F Black Flat Spray - $5
(1) 500*F Black/Red Gloss Spray - $5
(1) 500*F Clear Gloss Spray - $5
(1) Optional Decal Pack from VINZ - $10/20

Clif's Notes of the Procedure:
- Break the seal on the lugs
- Secure one axle of car on jack stands
- Remove the wheels
- Remove the caliper and secure to save the line
- Remove rotor (may require 14mm caliper bolt to lever off)
- Replace the caliper
- Clean caliper with a wire brush
- Cut 1/4 of painter's plastic to mask the vehicle
- Cut slit to slide over the caliper
- Secure plastic judiciously to allow for maximum coverage
- Paint base coat(s) with 1200*F flat black engine paint
- Paint color coat(s) with 500*F gloss red/black engine paint
- Optional let cure for 24hr
- Optional apply decal
- Paint clear coat(s) with 500*F gloss clear engine paint
- Cut plastic large enough to remove without smudging
- Return rotor by removing caliper when dry to touch
- Let cure 24hr before driving
- Repeat

GL and after you finish the project it is a law to post pictures
Old 10-05-07, 02:38 PM
SC400Dude
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's what I recently used on my TT calipers...

The products:

Before Pic:

After Pic: Shiny Black with Chrome Caliper Decal

Pretty much followed SCpwner's guidelines. Please be patient. Let all coats dry properly in between. Hope this helps
Old 10-05-07, 02:41 PM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

I have used Duplicolor engine enamel with complete success on eight brake calipers to this point. For the four stock brakes, I followed the instructions I gave to Johnathon above. For the four new calipers, I did the paint jobs off the car.

My method is 1200*f for a base, 500*F gloss for the color, and 500*F clear for protection. The paint jobs are so durable as a result of taking it in stages...although they are not certainly all necessary.

If you are looking for something that is an unconventional color, Eastwood has some caliper sprays that are yellow, blue, green, etc. Although, I would stick to red or -my personal favorite- black.
Old 10-06-07, 09:48 AM
Vadim
Driver

Originally Posted by SC400Dude
Here's what I recently used on my TT calipers ...:
Boys (skubasteev, SCpwner, SC400Dude, Blizzy) - greetings.
I have carefully read your messages, looked out of paint, looked photos of your work-thank you for your attention to my concerns.
Now tell you that I have made.
I setup on your Lexus SС 300 new brake travel from Toyota Supra Turbo-brake caliper, rotor brake company Cquence Motorsports (www.cquence.net www.cquencemotorsports.com) - Absolute Cross Rotors w / free silver zinc plating (Triple dimpled and courve lotted Rotors) front and rear for 1994-1998 Toyota Supra (Turbo Models Only), which I have bought and it is going to me in Russia, I bought brake pads by "ENDLESS": Endless SSS (front) - Operating temperature 0 -500 C; Endless SSY (rear) Operating temperature: 0-400 С, I bought in the brake lines reinforced Teflon Stainless Steel company, "Рroject-M".
I have the same brake caliper and the photo of SC400Dude. My photo brake caliper-model for painting.
I SC400Dude and the same brake caliper, so I ask:
what you did with the brake caliper before painting? - cleared paint, which he painted ? - or painting of the old paint ? - old and new paint compatible ? - there are red paint Dupli Color for brake caliper?
Thanks to you, Vadim.
Attached Thumbnails Painting brake caliper.-121.jpg  
Old 10-06-07, 01:06 PM
SC400Dude
Lexus Champion

Vadim,

To answer your first question...I sanded down the OEM coating on the caliper. From the factory, the TT calipers are moss green in color. After 2 years of use straight out of the box, the factory color and coating started to lose its appeal. I knew that I would use them on my next SC, so I HAD to re-paint them.

When you sand them down, please make sure you don't go too deep in certain areas. This will compromise its structural integrity. So work slow. I did a lot of it by hand. Remember to clean the calipers thoroughly after this process.

The Duplicolor product comes in several colors. When I went to the Auto Parts store, they had the popular choices. They would be Black, Silver, Yellow, and Red. So to answer your question, yes RED is available.

You can also find a product called "G2" on ebay for about $40 bucks. It's basically the same product as the Duplicolor. They also have colors such as Green,Pink,White, Gold, and Blue.

Here is a pic of my current brakes, painted red...I bought the vehicle with the brakes already done, though I suspect the previous owner used something very similar to paint these calipers. I will be swapping these out soon. I like black better. Red screams "look at me!" too much for my tastes.

On the car...

The calipers are dirty in this pic but in person, they are really shiny. The coat doesn't seem to be breaking down either.
Old 10-06-07, 01:52 PM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Vadim
what you did with the brake caliper before painting? - cleared paint, which he painted ? - or painting of the old paint ? - old and new paint compatible ? - there are red paint Dupli Color for brake caliper?
Thanks to you, Vadim.
I used a wire brush to clean down the caliper and prep it for painting. I used sandpaper on my rear Supra turbo calipers, and it worked equally well, slthough it was more diffuclt getting into the smaller areas with the sandpaper.

Duplicolor definitely makes Red Gloss in 500*F. I would still suggest a base coat off 1200*F flat black to just make extra sure there will be no bubbling. Also, I definitely suggest 500*F clear as the final coats for protection and sheen. I can get these spray cans for $5 each at my local Walmart in the paint department. One can of each is PLENTY for one axle.

I definitely concur with the above post that the Duplicolor Clear will really shine when it is clean. Here is a photo during the installation of my LS400 front calipers:

Old 10-07-07, 05:20 AM
Vadim
Driver

SC400Dude and Blizzy-Give the guys.
You look beautiful painted calipers. I envy.
I would write and ask.
SC400Dude - my TT new brake calipers and the same is not bright greyish green. At my photographs he looks black, while grey-green. I drive 17 " bright silver with large windows between the spokes. The new brake rotor Supra TT - "Absolute Cross Rotors" with the addition of silver and zinc will be too bright silver. I want that my brake calipers was clear and blue as the color of Endless brake calipers. It would be a beautiful combination of colors as blue sky and white clouds. But this blue paint, I could not find. My friends told me that it was easier to find the red paint, and then I discovered red ink drawing my TT brake calipers. I like both partial plastic mouldings of painting my TT brake calipers. This is my picture of the subject.
Now I know that there are paint "G2", White and Blue colors of bright shine. I want to dye figurno as my photos only person TT calipers and a marked-Lexus. Neck (rear) brake calipers my TT I do not want painted.
You say that there is a painting named "G2", White and Blue colors to shine bright-so I sproshivayu you about it.
Paint "G2", White and Blue colors for color paint brush?, or aerosol (etc)?, but Blue paint colors for paint brushes need for painting Front 2 + 2 TT Rear brake calipers ?, how many white paint brushes for painting graffiti 4-Lexus Front 2 + 2 TT Rear brake calipers?
Blizzy - required abrade all the old paint to metal ?, just hard enough or old paint and sand paper to remove the dust and fat, the new paint better smth to old paint ?
Thanks to you, Vadim.
Attached Thumbnails Painting brake caliper.-1575791.jpg  
Old 10-07-07, 05:32 AM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Vadim
Blizzy - required abrade all the old paint to metal ?, just hard enough or old paint and sand paper to remove the dust and fat, the new paint better smth to old paint ?
Thanks to you, Vadim.
All you have to do is rough up the old paint so that the new paint has something to stick to. There is no need to go any further.

A wire brush would do this pretty well. A wire brush and some 400 grit sandpaper followed by some 800 grit sandpaper would do even better to make sure that everything was super smooth so that the new paint looked even.