Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Changed my Rack Bushings .. Crazy Pictures

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-07, 07:58 AM
Chenzo26
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just went to the TM Engineering site and they show no signs of "National Backorder" for my GS4's rack bushings, so once they call me back with the good news, I will cancel my order at Sewell and we can proceed to replace my bushings as well. I will probably be taking a trip down to Orlando on friday Nov 2nd. Let me know if that works out for you and I will try to pick up RJ and anyone else.
Old 10-17-07, 01:01 PM
BLovesc
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man I really need to do this after replacing my ps pump
Old 10-17-07, 08:41 PM
CLNSC3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TommySC

Wow, those are really shot! Good post, I am ordering these tomorrow!
Old 10-18-07, 07:27 AM
Chenzo26
Pole Position

Bad news on the GS4 rack bushings - they are officially on national backorder, so no one, not even Daizen has them. It seems their demand predictions are about as good as I am skinny. I guess I will have to wait it out with Sewell until who knows when.
Old 10-18-07, 09:12 AM
JspecSC3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Chenzo26
Bad news on the GS4 rack bushings - they are officially on national backorder, so no one, not even Daizen has them. It seems their demand predictions are about as good as I am skinny. I guess I will have to wait it out with Sewell until who knows when.
For some reason the GS needs them way more than the SC does. I hear crazy stories about what happens if you dont replace them on the GS. I just replaced mine on my SC last week. They were so ripped, I didnt even need a tool to loosen ALL the bolts. There was just so much play in the steering rack that I was just able to remove all 4 bolts by hand. This is a must do mod! Check your steering rack bushings everyone. Especially if youre going with a bigger wheel.
Old 10-21-07, 03:42 PM
IS_Sunny
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Chenzo26
It seems their demand predictions are about as good as I am skinny.
I love it .... ya man, whenever you get them I'm down to put them on ... for a meat lovers pizzone of course.
Old 10-21-07, 05:23 PM
RedPhoenix
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

When I drive, some roads that are not 110% perfect, throw my wheels around and the car moves in an unfavorable position.

Also, on a non 110% road from a stop, if I go forward, the steering wheel sometimes will turn 45* one way or the other.

Alignment is dead on.

This a sign of it?
Old 10-21-07, 07:01 PM
komar
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Had to go hunting in the junk yard for a set of used ones after my brother hit a pot hole and said something is wrong with the steering ... had to replace both upper and lower bushings. both were worn to NOTHING!!!!

put it this way turn steering wheel about 1/2 turn and car still drives straight.
Old 10-28-07, 11:26 PM
vntperform
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just did mine last night on my 97 sc300, had everything done in about 45 mins then I cleaned the whole area and rack with simple green and brake cleaner; def cleaned up all the ps fluid that had leaked around the area. I'm hoping for good results.
Old 10-30-07, 10:05 AM
UTSC300
Lead Lap

just re reading this from my last post. gonna have to give this a try and order some.
Old 10-30-07, 03:48 PM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

nice tread. i have a side question.. i dont think my power steering is leaking since i replaced the whole pump already.. but im pretty sure my hoses are leaking.. how do i get them replaced? since i really want to replace the racks.. knowing i have 154k miles. also my steering wheel moves around when i drive on poor conditioned roads..
Old 10-30-07, 05:44 PM
IS_Sunny
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by vwynn
nice tread. i have a side question.. i dont think my power steering is leaking since i replaced the whole pump already.. but im pretty sure my hoses are leaking.. how do i get them replaced? since i really want to replace the racks.. knowing i have 154k miles. also my steering wheel moves around when i drive on poor conditioned roads..
The rack bushings will help with the steering wheel play. They fixed my steering wheel slack / misalignment all together.

I remember you from my power steering post. I didn't mess with the hoses on mine. My leak was from the metal busings on the valves. I did; however, in the process of the PS problem have a good look at how all that works. I am no expert on this and prolly not the one to ask, but I would assume you can remove all hoses that you can reach from the top ... than once the car is jacked up and you are up under the rack, you will have no problem removing the other end of those hoses that run under there. Again, never done it, but damn sure had a good look at it.
Old 10-30-07, 06:54 PM
over40driv
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My rack bushings are perf. at 126,000 miles with no leaks, and it still follows the road a little, and the control arm bushings are tight. I have directional a/s tires that came on the car and I think thats most of my prob.
Old 10-30-07, 08:29 PM
IS_Sunny
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by over40driv
My rack bushings are perf. at 126,000 miles with no leaks
Rack bushings have nothing to do with leaks. Unless your referring to a leak, such as the power steering, that could drip onto the bushings and cause them to rot away. Other than that I'm lost
Old 10-30-07, 09:01 PM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by TommySC
The rack bushings will help with the steering wheel play. They fixed my steering wheel slack / misalignment all together.

I remember you from my power steering post. I didn't mess with the hoses on mine. My leak was from the metal busings on the valves. I did; however, in the process of the PS problem have a good look at how all that works. I am no expert on this and prolly not the one to ask, but I would assume you can remove all hoses that you can reach from the top ... than once the car is jacked up and you are up under the rack, you will have no problem removing the other end of those hoses that run under there. Again, never done it, but damn sure had a good look at it.
some hoses can be removed but not the crushed or cramped watever there called... hoses.. i need to go to a shop or something.. o well

Quick Reply: Changed my Rack Bushings .. Crazy Pictures