Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Any NJ L-Tuned Members out there?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-02, 08:52 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any NJ L-Tuned Members out there?

My friends, I need your help. After reading all these informative posts from all my fellow members here across the country, rarely do I see a NJ member on here that I can find out where and how they got their L-Tuned upgrade at a local Lexus Dealer.

My local Lexus Dealer doesn't even cater to this type of service. They probably think of it more as a hassle then a service. I think they just cater to the older crowd who are satisfied with a soft and cushy ride.

So that is why this thread has been posted. To find out where my NJ members have had their L-Tuned enhancements installed. All I want at this moment is to improve the handling and steering, so L-Tuned Shocks, springs as well as the Steering ECU to be done to my 2001 GS430.

I am tried of the soft ride and the vibrating, loose steering. If you paid all this money for this type of car, you expect perfection of at least to what you want.

Please advise your comments and help.

Thanks again.
Old 01-11-02, 05:15 AM
xsuperjoex
Lexus Test Driver

i have to let you drive my car... you'll think twice about JUST going with L-Tuned Shocks and Springs

This is what I have now:
Stock 16"s (my 19"s go back on when I know there will be NO SNOW!!!)
L-Tuned Steering ECU
TRD Sways F&R
TRD STB
TRD LCB
I have Eibach 1.5" drop
Stock Shocks

I really LOVE this setup it is just so tight yet still refined.

OK..this is what I did I went all the way up to CT with TED920 to get the springs swaped from his car to mine because Ted bought a new set that drop his car 2"s.

But if I had to do it again I can take you to a shop in Kearny that does excellent work and I trust them...they did my brakes and my sways so far, they also did Ted's Brakes too. This shop has extremely resonable prices that he has offered to the CL Crew.

My suggestion is to go with the Eibach and the Bilstiens (I think that is the L-Tuned setup I'm just not 100% sure of it though)
Oh and for the GS430..you already have the L-Tuned Steering ECU.

If you want a LEXUS Dealer that can get you that stuff and will install it and honor your warranty try Lexus of Englewood that's where I go and they love it when I bring my car in there you should see the techs just hover around my car and ask questions..
Old 01-11-02, 05:38 AM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by xsuperjoex
i have to let you drive my car... you'll think twice about JUST going with L-Tuned Shocks and Springs

This is what I have now:
Stock 16"s (my 19"s go back on when I know there will be NO SNOW!!!)
L-Tuned Steering ECU
TRD Sways F&R
TRD STB
TRD LCB
I have Eibach 1.5" drop
Stock Shocks

I really LOVE this setup it is just so tight yet still refined.

OK..this is what I did I went all the way up to CT with TED920 to get the springs swaped from his car to mine because Ted bought a new set that drop his car 2"s.

But if I had to do it again I can take you to a shop in Kearny that does excellent work and I trust them...they did my brakes and my sways so far, they also did Ted's Brakes too. This shop has extremely resonable prices that he has offered to the CL Crew.

My suggestion is to go with the Eibach and the Bilstiens (I think that is the L-Tuned setup I'm just not 100% sure of it though)
Oh and for the GS430..you already have the L-Tuned Steering ECU.

If you want a LEXUS Dealer that can get you that stuff and will install it and honor your warranty try Lexus of Englewood that's where I go and they love it when I bring my car in there you should see the techs just hover around my car and ask questions..
XsuperjoeX,

Thanks for the great info and help. It's inevitable that mods have to be done to just take care of the shortcomings of this Lexus stock handling and steering.

This is what I don't get, why are some people still installilng the L-Tuned Steering ECU in their 2001 GS430s? There must be a difference. If I already have the L-Tuned ECU in my stock GS430, then I can't even imagine how bad the Non Tuned version is.

This is confusing, but I am glad to have my fellow clublexus members here always helping out.
Old 01-11-02, 09:05 AM
xsuperjoex
Lexus Test Driver

Let me know if you want to meet up and i'll let you test out my car. You know what if you already have the Steering ECU then it really wouldn't hurt to replace it with the same one just to be 100% sure that you have the ECU.
Old 01-11-02, 02:16 PM
Lloydsaz
Driver School Candidate

I know you dont want to hear this but... Move to Arizona, we have L-tuned in stock at the local lexus dealerships with both GS430 and IS300. They are even talking about adding superchargers to them and still providing a local warrenty!! Maybe its just your part of the country.
Old 01-11-02, 02:40 PM
RealMarty
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by lexguynj
....This is what I don't get, why are some people still installilng the L-Tuned Steering ECU in their 2001 GS430s? There must be a difference. If I already have the L-Tuned ECU in my stock GS430, then I can't even imagine how bad the Non Tuned version is.

This is confusing, but I am glad to have my fellow clublexus members here always helping out.
The ecu in the GS430 is not the same as the L-Tuned in spite of what Lexus and L-Tuned says. Bitkahuna and I did a test on my 430 and compared the stock GS430 ecu vs. the L-Tuned. We posted the results about 3 months ago in the main GS430 section. We both noticed a clear difference in favor of the L-Tuned. It feels firmer, more responsive (not quicker - the ecu does not reduce the turns lock-to-lock) and much less prone to wandering. Difficult to believe why they don't put it in all GSs at the factory.

The ecu in the 430 is different from (and better than) my 98 GS400 but not as good as the L-Tuned. I believe the ecu from the GS400s is the same as the current GS300s, but I'm not positive.

Don't hesitate to put in the L-Tuned ecu. It's worth it. No question.
Old 01-11-02, 09:30 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by RealMarty

The ecu in the GS430 is not the same as the L-Tuned in spite of what Lexus and L-Tuned says. Bitkahuna and I did a test on my 430 and compared the stock GS430 ecu vs. the L-Tuned. We posted the results about 3 months ago in the main GS430 section. We both noticed a clear difference in favor of the L-Tuned. It feels firmer, more responsive (not quicker - the ecu does not reduce the turns lock-to-lock) and much less prone to wandering. Difficult to believe why they don't put it in all GSs at the factory.

The ecu in the 430 is different from (and better than) my 98 GS400 but not as good as the L-Tuned. I believe the ecu from the GS400s is the same as the current GS300s, but I'm not positive.

Don't hesitate to put in the L-Tuned ecu. It's worth it. No question.
RealMarty,

Is the L-Tuned ECU good enough to solve this steering issue?

Thanks for your help on this one. I noticed your signature and you basically have what I want. If I can just get solid steering and improved handling without voiding the Lexus Warranty, then I will be a happy man!

I think the L-Tuned ECU is a good first step, but why not just have it all done with at the same time with the L-Tuned Shocks and Springs. If I only do the ECU, I don't think I will fully be satisfied.

How much is this going to run me dollarwise? I still have to find a good Lexus Dealer out there, that knows what they are doing! I have heard Manhattan Lexus in NYC is good?
Old 01-11-02, 09:32 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by xsuperjoex
Let me know if you want to meet up and i'll let you test out my car. You know what if you already have the Steering ECU then it really wouldn't hurt to replace it with the same one just to be 100% sure that you have the ECU.
Your a good guy xsuperjoex and thanks for the offer. I'm still trying to figure all of this out and I am sure your Lex is smoking out there. From the mods that you have done, that has to be one fine Lex and I am sure it's tight too, no steering or handling floaty problems.
Old 01-11-02, 09:33 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by Lloydsaz
I know you dont want to hear this but... Move to Arizona, we have L-tuned in stock at the local lexus dealerships with both GS430 and IS300. They are even talking about adding superchargers to them and still providing a local warrenty!! Maybe its just your part of the country.
Lloydsaz,

Heck, I'd move to AZ, even if I didn't have a Lexus. I hear the winters there are very nice as compared to NJ of course.

You are right, it does depend on region to region and NJ is lacking very much in this L-Tuned service.
Old 01-12-02, 08:22 AM
RealMarty
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by lexguynj

RealMarty,

Is the L-Tuned ECU good enough to solve this steering issue?

It will solve the looseness, but not the vibration. For that you have to look to your tires, wheels, brake rotors, alignment and suspension for the cause.

Thanks for your help on this one. I noticed your signature and you basically have what I want. If I can just get solid steering and improved handling without voiding the Lexus Warranty, then I will be a happy man!

I think the L-Tuned ECU is a good first step, but why not just have it all done with at the same time with the L-Tuned Shocks and Springs. If I only do the ECU, I don't think I will fully be satisfied.

How much is this going to run me dollarwise? I still have to find a good Lexus Dealer out there, that knows what they are doing! I have heard Manhattan Lexus in NYC is good?
Bought the L-Tuned suspension and ecu from Steve Ganz. Ecu was $125. Think the suspension was about $500 for the parts. Not sure about that. I had the shocks and springs installed by my Lexus dealer - ran about $650 with the alignment. Bitkahuna installed the ecu for me. I'm covered on the warranty since the dealer installed the suspension and they can't tell which ecu is there since they all have the same part number (I know this part number thing sounds unbelievably stupid but it's true).

Lexus of Manhattan does L-Tuned. Johnny Mo knows the folks there. Check with him.
Old 01-12-02, 07:18 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by RealMarty

Bought the L-Tuned suspension and ecu from Steve Ganz. Ecu was $125. Think the suspension was about $500 for the parts. Not sure about that. I had the shocks and springs installed by my Lexus dealer - ran about $650 with the alignment. Bitkahuna installed the ecu for me. I'm covered on the warranty since the dealer installed the suspension and they can't tell which ecu is there since they all have the same part number (I know this part number thing sounds unbelievably stupid but it's true).

Lexus of Manhattan does L-Tuned. Johnny Mo knows the folks there. Check with him.
Thanks again for the INFO. I believe part of the vibration or feedback on the steering wheel is due to the looseness of the steering so the ECU if it does make a difference will make a difference.

Do people just get shocks and not the springs or do they just do them both at the same time, better to do it that way?

Thanks again!
Old 01-12-02, 09:17 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lexguy,

on the suspension parts, if you do not want the "lowered" look, just get performance shocks such as l-tuned/bilsteins for a little better road holding...ron430 has the bilsteins sports, but he did not lowered his gs.

if you do plan to lower the car, have everything(springs and shocks) done at the same, looks great, improves handling, and you save that extra install and alignment cost shoudl you decide to lower the car later
Old 01-12-02, 09:19 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by gs4will
lexguy,

on the suspension parts, if you do not want the "lowered" look, just get performance shocks such as l-tuned/bilsteins for a little better road holding...ron430 has the bilsteins sports, but he did not lowered his gs.

if you do plan to lower the car, have everything(springs and shocks) done at the same, looks great, improves handling, and you save that extra install and alignment cost shoudl you decide to lower the car later
GS4WILL,

Thanks for the input. Like you said, might as well get it done all together and I like the lowered look, especially if it will improve in handling as you say. Why wouldn't people just do them at the same time if it were not a cost issue? Maybe some disadvantages of a lower look, in terms of bumps, etc....
Old 01-13-02, 10:11 AM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lowered cars with stiffer springs will contribute to slightly rougher rides..i was kind of skeptical about lowering my gs(being that i have never lowered ANY car in my life, and i am using the GS as my 1st:eek: ) however, i was/am very pleasantly surprised and glad with the result. word of advice: try to drive extra carefully to avoid bad roads and potholes.

as you said, some are not lowering it for reasons other than budget, road condition, personal taste would also contribute to the decision of "to lower or not to lower". i have 18s, and after using them for few weeks, i just had to do the suspension as the sidewall is much smaller than 16/17, and the wheel/fender gap appeared to be even larger on 18s and up due to thiner tyre sidewall...
Old 01-14-02, 10:02 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by gs4will
lowered cars with stiffer springs will contribute to slightly rougher rides..i was kind of skeptical about lowering my gs(being that i have never lowered ANY car in my life, and i am using the GS as my 1st:eek: ) however, i was/am very pleasantly surprised and glad with the result. word of advice: try to drive extra carefully to avoid bad roads and potholes.

as you said, some are not lowering it for reasons other than budget, road condition, personal taste would also contribute to the decision of "to lower or not to lower". i have 18s, and after using them for few weeks, i just had to do the suspension as the sidewall is much smaller than 16/17, and the wheel/fender gap appeared to be even larger on 18s and up due to thiner tyre sidewall...
If lowering will help in the handling somewhat and also make the car look more aggressive (this is subjective), then I might as well do it if I am doing the shocks at the same time. The only valid place thus far in the area is Manhattan Lexus, which has some experience in installing L-Tuned components. I am still surprised that my local dealer here in NJ looks at a job like this as more of a hassle than a service to their customers.

Quick Reply: Any NJ L-Tuned Members out there?