Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

First Look: 2008 IS350 Brake Dust on the Liquid Graphite 18" Wheels...

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-07, 07:45 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts

Untrue about any noise. If there is noise then the pads were not properly installed.

Also the warranty is in effect for 48 months or 50,000 miles, whichever comes first. Also to note warranty application is limited to correction of a problem based upon a customers specific complaint.
Old 10-11-07, 07:48 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Evitzee
Does anybody question why Lexus still continues to use the dusty pads as OEM?? It is either COST (cheaper) or PERFORMANCE (better). If the price was the same and their was no difference in performance/wear why wouldn't Lexus change to the new pads as OEM?
Don't know and don't care.
I have no problem with the pedal feel with the new pads.
Less brake dust!!
Old 10-11-07, 08:01 AM
TorontoIS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I love the new finish on those wheels. They are much nicer than the 2007's finish. I agree with the others who said to get the brake pad TSIB done, you won't notice any difference except that your wheels will look much cleaner.
Old 10-11-07, 08:21 AM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The TSIB didnt do anything, brakes feel like crap IMO. I still get brake dust in 2days.
Old 10-11-07, 09:21 AM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 270 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by iSuxeL
The TSIB didnt do anything, brakes feel like crap IMO. I still get brake dust in 2days.
Then the dealer didn't put the right pads. I got mine done and brake dust are history. Two weeks and wheels are clean as rear ones. And braking performance is exactly the same only a little less grabby.
Old 10-11-07, 09:27 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you still get brake dust, they just replaced it with the same kind of brake pads, not the replacement ones...

I've had the new replacement pads for four months now, and not once have I had any problems with brake dust NOR performance. In fact, I can say the braking performance is much better!
Old 10-11-07, 09:37 AM
fantom
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like you've been had by one of our "fun-in-the-sun" Lexus service departments. Maybe they did nothing.

"I'm shocked there is poor Lexus service going on here."

Did they give you the original pads? Check the part number on the receipt, and bring your car in to be checked, while you observe.
Old 10-11-07, 11:31 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

The initial bit on the brakes is different (less grabby). The braking performance has maybe been reduced from this difference. Overall the brake feel is better (more linear). The reason the pads are still being used is because it is in the best interests of Lexus to use a pad that FEELS like it is stopping better (actually could) and doesn't last as long.

Koz
Old 10-11-07, 10:59 PM
hapaboy
Lexus Champion

the graphite rims look dirty right from the start in the dish area of the rim. they also look smaller, IMO. but i think it's a good change for the IS, good change for lexus. and it keep sthe 06's lookin current!

i honestly think they will not top the downright sexiness of this generation of IS. the next front and rear facia designs will not be warmly received.

thanks for sharing the observations. i just wash my rims every week with about a gallon of water from my weed sprayer.
Old 10-13-07, 03:16 PM
05LSV
Lead Lap

So even though this has been a common issue for some time now, the issue still persists with brand new 08 ISx50 vehicles?

I have a new IS that I'm picking up next week, should I just drive the car until either 1) I can't stand the brake dust anymore, or 2) until I need new brake pads, or should I simply get the TSIB performed right away and be done with it?
Old 10-13-07, 03:47 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by 05LSV
2) until I need new brake pads, or should I simply get the TSIB performed right away and be done with it?
As Nike says..

Just do it!
Old 10-14-07, 05:31 AM
WhatYaGot
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by DropTopGal
The service advisor at JM Lexus said that the TSB replacement pads are "louder" as in squeeky loud. Can anyone who had the TSB done confirm this to be true or not?

He also told me that I have up to 10k miles and/or 1 year to get it done, so I plan on waiting a least a few months.

Who was your service advisor? They are not telling you the truth. I had mine done at JM and there is NO squeaking or them being any louder. Why don't you ask John the service manager if this is true because it is not.

You can get it done at any mileage up to 4 years or 50,000 miles.

Just print out the TSIB and shove it in the Service Advisor's face and make him or her feel stupid that the customer knows more than they do!
Old 10-14-07, 08:41 AM
is4fsr
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

TSIB brake pads are less grabby than the original but they don't produce that much brake dust. I used to clean my front wheels every other day. Now I clean them every 3 weeks or so. No noise as what some ppl say.
Old 10-15-07, 10:19 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Its been posted in another thread that the TSIB doesn't currently include 2008 vehicles, and folks had been refused the TSIB service on their 08 as a result... so the folks with 08s (including me) don't really need to decide if they want the low-dust pads right now, it's apparently not an option.
Old 10-15-07, 10:22 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

I did my TSIB after 7000 miles and a track session

Quick Reply: First Look: 2008 IS350 Brake Dust on the Liquid Graphite 18" Wheels...