Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.
View Poll Results: Are you happy with your Alternate TSIB Brake Pads?
IS250: Yes, they definitely perform much better.
15.79%
IS250: No, braking is not as good.
9.57%
IS350: Yes, they definitely perform much better.
18.66%
IS350: No, braking is not as good.
9.57%
I have not done the TSIB yet on my IS, but I will.
37.80%
No, I will not get the TSIB done. (I'm also just voting because I don't have an IS...)
8.61%
Voters: 209. You may not vote on this poll

Brake TSIB Afterthoughts...

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-08, 01:16 PM
tjZ06
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tjZ06
UPDATE: I finally AutoXed w/ the new pads: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...46#post3232146

Long story short: they work amazingly well and gave me both great modulation (racing in the rain) and plenty of bite. A great match for the car.

-TJ
Latest update: After about 4k miles on the TSIB pads I AutoXed the IS250 for a second time. This time it was a 2 day event with a School on the Saturday and a regular Race on Sunday. I was an Instructor at the School and got a lot of laps to take students for demonstration runs. I also had a friend co-drive with me on Sunday so double the laps there too.

Monday when I drove the car the brakes started squeaking bad, worse than before the TSIB was performed. I assumed I had just toasted the back brakes since they were still original.

I went out of town for business for a week, and when I got back the brakes were still extremely squeaky under any light braking (heavy braking was quiet). And to top it off the car started running REALLY rough and the service engine light was flashing. I had the car towed in and it turned out to be a carbon build-up thing (my car was built after the valve spring update) but I mentioned the brakes while I had it there.

They replaced the front brakes AGAIN free. This time they turned the rotors, the first time they didn't. So far nice and quiet again, good pedal feel and such. We'll see how it goes.

-TJ
Old 03-26-08, 01:37 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You had Lexus warranty your pads after you glazed them at an autocross?!? That ain't right. They would have been fine again after a few hundred miles.
Old 03-26-08, 02:01 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,064 Likes on 586 Posts

Originally Posted by Gernby
You had Lexus warranty your pads after you glazed them at an autocross?!? That ain't right. They would have been fine again after a few hundred miles.
Who's says that OEM pads are supposed to be squeaky/glazed after a day of Auto-crossing???
Old 03-26-08, 02:15 PM
tjZ06
Driver

Originally Posted by Gernby
1) Who said they were glazed? They were NOT glazed. Glazed brakes don't stop nearly as well, that was not the case. I'm thinking a lot of the noise had to do with not turning the rotors when they replaced the pads the first time. The AutoX would have worn the pads into the old, uneven patern of the rotors.

2) All I did was call my service writer and mention the squeaking. When I picked the car up they had done the pads/rotors without even mentioning it to me. Lexus takes care of us, that's part of what we pay for.

3) Finally, even if the AutoX HAD caused the brake issue, I don't feel the least bit bad getting service done on any part that wasn't up to the task in stock form. I was on stock tires, and AutoX doesn't tax any system any further than I could on a good back road.

Originally Posted by Joe Z
Who's says that OEM pads are supposed to be squeaky/glazed after a day of Auto-crossing???
Exactly. If a part can't handle a simple AutoX it does not belong on Lexus's "Sports Sedan." Look at the IS comericals, if Lexus wants to be taken seriously in the Sports Sedan segment and push the IS as a driver's car they should have no issue replacing parts that aren't up to the task of a little aggresive driving.

Again, they did not glaze. I've glazed OEM pads on my Z06, it's a very different scenario. Like I said, glazed pads don't stop nearly as well and my car was still stopping fine.

But even if I had glazed them I'd expect the situation to be handled by Lexus.

-TJ
Old 03-31-08, 12:30 PM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
They have exactly the same stopping power. Your brakes don't stop the car, your tires do. And let's not restart that whole discussion for the nth time. If you think they don't work as well, then they were not correctly installed. Mine are less grabby, but still FAR grabbier than my Supra's brakes with Hawk HPS pads. The TSIB pads are FAR less dusty, and my car doesn't resemble a BMW in 50 miles as it used to.
+1

Just not as grabby, smoother but stops about the same. it's just the feeling of it
Old 04-02-08, 05:30 PM
iKenn
Just call me "Sprinkes"

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Is there a number or page for the 08's?
Old 04-03-08, 06:34 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by iKenn
Is there a number or page for the 08's?
There is no TSIB for the 08s yet. Some dealers will do it anyway as a courtesy.
Old 04-03-08, 10:57 AM
Electric
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Edit, nevermind.
Old 04-29-08, 09:08 AM
BoOst3d
Lead Lap

i really hate the amount of brake dust my 08 puts out. i tried to get a TSIB for them last time i was in service but didnt get anything. Im waiting a call back from my service manager to see if the 08 TSIB came out yet
Old 04-29-08, 09:20 AM
Electric
Pole Position

I dont know what the deal is but Lexus replaced my 2008 brake pads with the new ones and man, there is about 80% less dust. Usually Id drive the car around for 3-4 days and the wheels would be COVERED. Ive had the car back for 10 days now and there is hardly any dust on the wheels at all. A definite improvement. I am not sure why Lexus is telling some 2008 guys no good, while others like me had it done and it clearly fixed the problem.
Old 05-27-08, 06:07 PM
Lennox
Driver School Candidate

hello everyone -

so the dealership replaced my brake pads back in april (is 250) when it was in for service. they told me about it when i picked up the car. as soon as i drove off it seemed that they didn't work as well. i've been in and out of town on business so haven't driven it much. but today i almost had an accident while coming home from work. so i immediately called the dealership and spoke with my service advisor. he said to bring it in so they can look at it. not sure that they'll do anything or notice it, but i do!
Old 05-28-08, 04:36 PM
i3urton
Lexus Test Driver

got my brake replaced with the tsib ones.,, they feel way smoother... but im gonna still see if they stop the same distance..
Old 05-28-08, 05:28 PM
w4rjd
Pole Position

Smile a year with the new brakes

Originally Posted by i3urton
got my brake replaced with the tsib ones.,, they feel way smoother... but im gonna still see if they stop the same distance..
It has been a year and do I ever like the brakes. Smoother and no dust.

Ollie
Old 05-28-08, 05:49 PM
Lennox
Driver School Candidate

Yeah I dropped the car off this AM and they called by the time I got to the office 30 mins later. Said they drove the car and checked to make sure they were installed properly and everything was fine. On the invoice they wrote that they were safe but will seem softer after the replacement. Whatever.

I still don't like the way I feel but guess I'll have to be more careful driving!
Old 05-28-08, 06:09 PM
w4rjd
Pole Position

Lennox,

It has been a year and the memory may be a little 'adjusted' by time. I remember the factory pads tended to grab and took a soft foot for non panic stops. These seem to be less sensitive while still providing good braking. My IS is a 07 which also may be a difference. Of course I do drive on the conservative side even for an IS. BTW the car is BMW and I like the Lexus brakes better. That says a lot.

Oliie

Quick Reply: Brake TSIB Afterthoughts...