Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.
View Poll Results: Are you happy with your Alternate TSIB Brake Pads?
IS250: Yes, they definitely perform much better.
15.79%
IS250: No, braking is not as good.
9.57%
IS350: Yes, they definitely perform much better.
18.66%
IS350: No, braking is not as good.
9.57%
I have not done the TSIB yet on my IS, but I will.
37.80%
No, I will not get the TSIB done. (I'm also just voting because I don't have an IS...)
8.61%
Voters: 209. You may not vote on this poll

Brake TSIB Afterthoughts...

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-07, 03:29 PM
lexy250
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ok i just seen that theres 3 different types of tsib's for the brakes alone...does anyone know where id be able to view all the tsib's that have come out for the 250's...a link perhaps...thanks.
Old 11-09-07, 12:33 PM
iceman1117
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got mine done yesterday and they are great. I looked at my wheels today and they are still clean, they would have been gray already with the other brakes.
Old 11-12-07, 01:36 AM
hapaboy
Lexus Champion

i like brake dust. now i suppose it's a status symbol of sorts. heh.
Old 11-12-07, 12:46 PM
italiandud
Lead Lap

I just called my lexus dealer and they said that they were only replacing the brakes that were making noises, and werent replacing because of the brake dust. Is this true or isnt the TSIB suppose to replace the two front brakes for FREE????
Old 11-12-07, 12:54 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^^ Sounds like you need to print out the TSIB, and take it to them.
Old 11-12-07, 01:13 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by italiandud
I just called my lexus dealer and they said that they were only replacing the brakes that were making noises, and werent replacing because of the brake dust. Is this true or isnt the TSIB suppose to replace the two front brakes for FREE????
I'd find another Lexus dealer.
How can the service advisor not know about the brake dust TSB?
Old 11-13-07, 05:20 PM
FiveOhNine
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by italiandud
It is warranty work, they may not want to, but they don't have a choice (unless they can't get any of the pads, which seems unlikely).
Old 11-13-07, 07:41 PM
350PsDMeuP
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

stopping power doesnt seem so aggressive, but i loving not having to wipe my front wheels everyday!!!!!!!!
Old 11-14-07, 01:52 AM
inLine4
Pole Position

Based on all the horror stories from everybody here, i dunno if i want to get it done...
Old 11-14-07, 02:15 AM
ecr527
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got mine done a couple weeks ago and the wheels are still clean!! They don't seem to "bite" like the original pads though.
Old 11-20-07, 10:58 AM
truce209
Driver

so my cars at her 5000 checkup.. and the guy said that the 08's already have the new pads and the new rear view mirror installed.. can anyone confirm?
Old 11-20-07, 11:29 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I have yet to see an 08 owner report he doesn't have the dirty pads from the factory.

the mirror TSIB if I recall has a production date on it (ie all cars made after this date have the fixed part from the factory).... the brake TSIB does not.
Old 11-20-07, 12:09 PM
tjZ06
Driver

Brake pad materials and technology has come a long way in the last decade, but there is still no "magic" compound. More aggressive compounds will dust more, and wear the rotors more. They also wear out faster themselves. This is all just a function of the increased friction they generate. In general they will be louder, though there are a few rather aggressive pads that are almost silent. Any true "race" compound is loud as heck though.

On my Z06 I have as many as 3 sets of brake pads that I swap around. For a street pad I want low dust/noise performance oriented pad. I don’t mind if it’s a bit low on friction or heat handling capabilities. I don’t push the car 10/10ths on public roads and with street tires anyway, so the low dust pad is up to the job. Stopping distances are noticeably longer than either of my other sets of pads, but still as short than the factory pads (which were very good in fact).

For AutoX I use yet another set of pads that are very loud (much worse that my IS pads) and very dusty (on par, or maybe worse than the IS). They have very good initial bite and cold friction coefficient. I use them with very large R-compound tires, and AutoX is more of an abrupt sport, so I like their aggressive nature. They also hold their coefficient of friction over a pretty broad heat range. However, they are not up to the duty of full road course action on R-compound tires.

For the road course I have yet another set of pads. They don’t bite as well cold (I got lazy this weekend and AutoXed on them, they didn’t really work that well ‘till my 3rd or 4th lap), and initial bite is a bit lower. But this makes it much easier to be “smooth” on the brakes (very important on the road course) and once you go full-stomp they have at least as much stopping power. But the kicker with these is the intense heat handling capabilities that lets me hot lap them for 25 minutes straight with no brake fade. I’m upgrading my front brakes soon, not due to pad fade problems. These pads bring a whole new level to noise and dust and certainly shouldn’t be considered for regular street use.

The original pads on my IS rated somewhere between my low dust street pads and my AutoX pads from the Z06. For their level of bite and heat holding they certainly do have more dust and noise than they should. But they bite rather well and modulate nicely. I’ve run the car pretty hard through some mountain roads and felt the tires overheating and going away on me (as is often the case with a performance all-season on a heavy car) but the brakes were still right there. They aren’t the right match from the car, but I bet on a EVO or something the message boards wouldn’t be full of 2 dozen threads about brake dust.

I think with a better compound the same performance can be achieved with less dust and no noise. But even that being said I don’t think the stock pads were horrible. I went ahead and waited it out ‘til 20k to get a “free brake job” out of the TSIB on my ’06 IS250 and am picking it up today. I’ll report back my findings.

-TJ

Last edited by tjZ06; 11-20-07 at 12:15 PM.
Old 11-20-07, 12:59 PM
VikH
Lexus Champion

ABS is ABS guys!!!!!! The tires are the limiting factor. If your ABS turns on when you do a full stop, then your TSIBed brakes perform just as well as your non-TSIBed brakes.

With that said everyone who has done the TSIB should have ABS coming on thus validating that they perform the same as non-TSIBed brakes.

Pedal feel changes, but thats a plus! I hate the on/off brakes.
Old 11-20-07, 06:37 PM
nn432100
Lead Lap

Got the pads changed a few days ago and they feel the same as the stock pads but without the excessive dust. Dealer changed them no question asked and I even got to test them out when some retard in front of me freaked out and slammed on their breaks. They performed great.

Quick Reply: Brake TSIB Afterthoughts...