Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

What kind of brake pads should I get?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-02, 11:34 AM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have to lean more toward agreeing with mumbles. GS brakes aren't race brakes but are very decent for a street car. Definitely don't feel they are scary to use. Hey mumbles - are we missing something here or are we lucky?
Old 01-15-02, 04:08 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my experience with the stock GS set up has been very positive as well, AND little dust too

sdkim,

mind telling me where you picked up the bradi rotors, bendix pads, and the prices

on the install, most tech guys told me it is quite easy, and i was quoted ~$80-120 for all 4 corners of replacement.

thanks
Old 01-15-02, 04:55 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,302 Likes on 1,403 Posts

I'm a bit bipolar on this topic and have to agree with BOTH schools of thought on the brakes...

I feel very comfortable my GS4 brakes will stop me in almost any situation I'll get into barring something like ice or a jackknifed tanker trailer of KY-jelly that spilled onto I-85.

HOWEVER, when I first got my GS, I found myself having several near-rear-ends for the first six months or so (pretty much at every light). I'd glide up to a row of parked cars at a stoplight and apply normal pressure, then jam on the pedal when I realized I was about to slam into the back of the car in front of me. I felt like the travel and braking was almost uneven based on the pressure I applied. I've never had that feeling in any other type car I've driven, including other Lexus.

When pushed hard the brakes stop great. Now that I've had the car a bit longer, I guess I've developed a better feel for the pedal pressure that is needed and don't have the problem. Luckily I made it out of the learning phase without any issue.
Old 01-15-02, 05:15 PM
MGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Here's my thought

Daily driver (conservative): stock pads + stock rotors
Daily driver (aggressive): performance pads + stock rotors
Weekend track racers: high performance pads + stock rotors + DOT4 brake fluid
Track only: Full brake system setup

OEM brake is not bad. It is designed for average drivers. If you don't race but look for better stopping power, changing the pads is all you need. I recommend Endless pads. They're rotor-friendly, quiet, and just a little bit more dustier than the stock pads. They may be a little pricy but I think they're well worth it.
Old 01-15-02, 07:20 PM
GR8WHTLEX
Driver School Candidate

I have to agree with DaveGS4. My car always feels like it will stop when you really need it to (I've impressed friends with it's actual stopping ability) but it has the worst brake pedal feel of any car I've ever owned. Granted, most of the cars I've had weighed less than the GS but after reading all of the magazine reviews prior to my purchase, I've been disappointed with the actual feel. There's more travel than I've ever encountered and you really have to get aggressive with your push and then it doesn't have much resistance. I tend to like brakes that grab immediately and give you that feel of pressure. I find myself not being very smooth with my braking because I don't get what I consider to be very good feedback.

This was the first thing I had the dealer check on my car when I took it back in for the first service. They gave me an RX as a loaner and I loved the feel of it's brakes. The dealership told me that several people have complained over the years about the feel of the GS's brakes. They checked the system out and everything came up good.

My questions is: For those who have upgraded to slotted rotors, multiple piston calipers and stainless steel hoses, has the difference been substantial (or just a little better?)
Old 01-15-02, 08:58 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,302 Likes on 1,403 Posts

GR8WHTLEX:

I didn't think to mention until your post. I added stainless steel brake lines a couple of months ago and noticed a minor-to-medium improvement in brake feel and pedal stiffness.

I also just had my front brakes done (only stock pads, rotors) last weekend while I had my car in getting TRD F/R sways put on. I haven't had much time to drive it yet to test either brakes or sways out, but I definitely noticed a decent improvement in brake response.

I'd have done some other pad or brake upgrade, but I didn't want to wait to get them done at a later point... Maybe next time (shouldn't be long the way I drive ).