Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Control Arms & Ball joints & Tubular Arms. Comeon Gurus!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-07, 07:00 PM
ICONYQ
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb Control Arms & Ball joints & Tubular Arms. Comeon Gurus!!!

So I have been searching for a way to get my suspension rehauled and I am just not seeing many options.

1. I have EVERY arm off the car and unbolted. Front and Rear
2. I need to replace EVERY ball joint. I can spin them like they are a pinwheel.

So I read here that MJHSC400 wanted a control arm to see if he could make something work. I have the ball joint out of the arm and obviously 7 other arms with the ball joints in them. I have not heard a response from that PM so I am not sure if he is still looking into this.

I have spent a couple hours at numerous auto part stores looking through and comparing ball joints, pittman arms, and any other type of arm that is close. I have found 2 possible candidates that I will purchase (both $37 ) if none of these other options pan out.

I did find out today that Dorman makes replacement arms for us with the ball joint. The front Uppers only. Advance auto parts has them for $145 but none in stock. However that tells me that Dorman knows what ball joint is used. I asked the guy how to find out but he was not sure. Any thoughts on this? You think calling the techline would yield anything?

After looking further into the Supra vs. Lexus parts we found that in the Supra suspension picture it showed the lower ball joint separate from the control arm and that all the control arms they had (none in stock) came without the ball joint. They did not have the ball joint part number and could not find it so I will contact the dealer tomorrow and see if that uncovers anything.

All of this has lead me to another idea. I am looking to embark on unconquered land (as far as I can tell from the research I have done) of finding a ball joint that we can use to replace in the arms. Why do I not also look into tubular arms. On my 300ZXTT I got rid of the ball joints by using these that had self lubricating ends. Where would I look to get these built..should I start with my machine shop or is this a little above that? I am thinking out loud here and will most likely contact them early next week to see what they say but has anyone looked into this or thought about it?

Trying to get the suspension cured so I can paint her and then on to the 6spd with major engine buildup.
Old 10-18-07, 07:18 PM
LexAnt
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=306221
Old 10-18-07, 07:44 PM
ICONYQ
Lead Lap

is that correct that it would be ~ $4500?? no way!!!. The 300ZX arms are like maybe 15/1800 for all of them.

Why are there no options for these cars. There is no competition to drive prices...
Old 10-18-07, 08:47 PM
BLovesc
Pole Position

There is alot of companies that make these arms for our cars. 98% of them are not distributed in the US Ikeya Formula and Nagisa Auto are the only one i know that have an actual us distributor
Old 10-19-07, 06:49 AM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ZMEGOBY
is that correct that it would be ~ $4500?? no way!!!. The 300ZX arms are like maybe 15/1800 for all of them.

Why are there no options for these cars. There is no competition to drive prices...
Nissan vs Lexus = Apples & Oranges

SC specific parts are NOT cheap. It's that simple. Go with the Supra parts that are interchangable to save the cash and then use SC specific on those that aren't.
Old 10-19-07, 07:22 AM
ICONYQ
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mkorsu
Nissan vs Lexus = Apples & Oranges

SC specific parts are NOT cheap. It's that simple. Go with the Supra parts that are interchangable to save the cash and then use SC specific on those that aren't.
Trust me I realize that they are appels and oranges...it is just amazing to me how there does not seem to be many outlets unless it comes with a huge price tag.

I am going to talk to a machine shop or two about making these tubular arms. I also know the guy that owns SPL and see if I can leverage anything there. I have all my arms out and the rear subframe as well so it will be easy for them to use these for size and fitments.

I will keep this updated for anyone that cares.
Old 10-19-07, 10:08 AM
BLovesc
Pole Position

Most people that make arms in the us dont bother with sc because they dont see much of a market. Alex pheifer is my friend and he used to own an sc so you would figure he would make all the arms and links and such but he said it takes too much time and wasnt worth it. I mean imo the ikeya formula arms are prett sick. But you dont really need them unless you are doing some track time. maybe a few things here and there if you want crazy camber but overall your money can be spent elsewhere.
Old 10-19-07, 12:34 PM
ICONYQ
Lead Lap

agreed...just brainstorming here.

I am really trying to find out who makes this ball joint or someone with a little more knowledge in maching industry or ball joint arena has some ideas.
  1. Can we mod the arm to accept a screw in type?
  2. Does the LS400 or GS300 use the same ball joint that comes in the attachable arm?
  3. Is there a way I can replace this nylon/plastic boot over the ball? Who sells parts like this?
Old 10-19-07, 02:17 PM
BLovesc
Pole Position

You can probably mod the arm find one that is similar and cut and weld
Old 10-20-07, 01:08 PM
ICONYQ
Lead Lap

well kind of have a little break through last night. Found this website. Now none of these fit our setup but the point here is that there is a catalog somewhere out there that breaks the ***** down via dimensions.

http://www.valleycruisersnb.com/BallJts.htm

now I need to get someone to measure this accurately and then I think we will be doing pretty well. I will be visiting a machine shop here in town that does a lot of performance level work and they are interested in trying to help.

stay tuned.
Old 10-20-07, 02:45 PM
stevechumo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Your idea is very interesting, however, all SC owners are stuck with this issue. We either use the Supra arms or the SC arms. Some of us came up with different ideas but they are never put into actions. How about your idea?

The important things are how you can replace the similar spring rate for the ball joint and the similar ball dimensions. You can cut open a new ball joint, measure the spring rate and the ball dimensions. But will you sacrifice this?

I thought about popping out the old ball joint, and ask a machine shop to make the screw or snap type ball joint with the spring, and replace the old ball joint. The result is a stop because it's too much work and $$$.

I actually feel that all of us should encourage you, but if you want to make it into production, how much profits will you make? We can get a brand new Supra arm for $200.
Old 10-21-07, 01:53 AM
BLovesc
Pole Position

Hes not making them to sell. Just making them to test em out and see if there is a possible way to have changeable ball joints
Old 10-21-07, 08:37 PM
ICONYQ
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by BLovesc
Hes not making them to sell. Just making them to test em out and see if there is a possible way to have changeable ball joints
Correct. I am not trying to do this and make money off it. I am doing the research for the community to find us a solution.
Old 10-22-07, 11:29 AM
Gunnar
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm interested to see how this turns out!
Old 11-15-07, 03:41 PM
ICONYQ
Lead Lap

took one of the upper control arms to a machine shop. I had them yank out the ball joint which left a nice whole in the middle of the end of the arm. I can take a pic and post. I am doing a write up as I go incase this works anyhow. After talking with them and another shop both agree that I could use a push-in style ball joint to put in this whole.

Thoughts? To me this seems like a pretty easy fix. I have the min and max deminsions that the ball joint needs to be and I have the other arms that show me the height that the ball joint needs to be. Now it is just searching all the push in ball joints to find a comparable one for the uppers. I will have to do this for the lowers as well as they are different.

Quick Reply: Control Arms & Ball joints & Tubular Arms. Comeon Gurus!!!