Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Supra TT 4 corner AP Racing 6 Piston / 4 Piston BBK adapted to the 2GS

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-07, 05:20 PM
Sceptre
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Very nice. My friend has some AP Racing BBK for his 350Z. Looks awesome and stops on a dime.
Old 10-28-07, 05:30 PM
bverschage
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

great setup
Old 10-29-07, 08:14 PM
josephdoc
Lexus Champion

Now I understand why you have been sleepless lately. Great set up!
Old 10-29-07, 08:23 PM
tommyGS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

baller.........luv the set-up
Old 10-29-07, 08:30 PM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

man, I want your rear brakes for my front! those front ones are HUGE.
Old 11-03-07, 04:31 AM
kit cat

umm...hate to burst your bubble b/c you have one of my favorite GSs out there but...

ClubAristo
"<作成:'07年5月9日>"
Engrish translation...May 9th, 2007.
Old 11-03-07, 11:20 AM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Coco-bun
umm...hate to burst your bubble b/c you have one of my favorite GSs out there but...Engrish translation...May 9th, 2007.
Hey NP . But I'm curious what application that is; any more details who's car this is? Looks like a JDM racing application?

What's the PN of that? We approached AP Racing long ago to offer the set up for the GS, but it never happened.

If they made this application for someone or a race team, etc. it wouldn't be that much trouble for them to offer it to the public.

Please provide any more info on this.

Inquiring minds want to know.
Old 11-03-07, 05:06 PM
kit cat

You're lucky I admire your GS so much. I used to get paid pretty nicely in Japan for doing translations like this .

PS: This was a translation I just quickly ran through so ignore all the grammar/spelling error. I know, I could have had google just translate it but it didn't make any sense.

【はじめに】

このたびAP Racing フロント6POT、リア4POTブレーキを装着しましたのでレポートいたします。重量級のアリストのブレーキは過去にもレポートがある通り、効きが甘く、怖い思いをしてブレーキに不満を持つ人が多いと思います。特に4人乗車の時は痛感していました。ごく普通の一般ドライバーである私の偏見があるかも知れませんがAP Racing BRAKE装着に至るまでのレポートをしたいと思います。

【ブレーキ選択】

月並みに、ブレーキパッドを前後カーボンメタル系のスポーツパッドに交換しましたが、水洗いで落ちにくいダストが多いのが難点でしたがキャリパー交換不要と感じるほど効き・コントロール性は良好でした。

ブレーキ性能は勿論ですがホイールの隙間からさり気なく見えるビックキャリパーに憧れを感じる自分としては、フロント・リア同時装着を前提にさらに自分好みのブレーキを探しました。セルシオ、レクサス、JZA80スープラ等の純正流用(キャリパー&ローター)はブレーキ性能については過去のレポートにある通り必要十分なものであると思います。ただしフロント・リア同時に変えると結構な費用になり、国内メーカー(トムス、エンドレス、GREX 等)の前後キットも選択範囲内に入ってきます。

* フロント355Φ以上のローター径であること。
* キャリパー色はシルバー、ブラック等の控えめな色が選択できること。
* 純正マスターシリンダーは変えない前提と前後バランスを考えたキャリパーのピストン径であること。
* フロント、リアーキャリパーの外観的な大きさのバランスが良いこと。(前後大差ないのは不可)

など、私の好みに合うものがありませんでした。

自分にはオーバースペックかもしれませんが性能、見栄え共に良いアルコン、ブレンボ、AP Racing に絞って探してみましたがこれと言う物がなく決断ができない状況が続きました。たまたまAP Racing製キャリパーをリーズナブルな価格で扱っている愛知県の尾張旭市にあるDECKというショップを見つけました。メールでの対応も良くブレーキについてもいろいろ勉強させてもらいました。しかし、東京からの日帰りは若くない私には厳しく装着・メンテ・移動宿泊費用など考えると躊躇していました。気が付けば、途中中断はありましたがブレーキ換装を思い立って3年も経っていました。安全には変えられないと言う思いもあり思い切ってお願いすることにしました。

●ブレーキ仕様

・フロント
キャリパー:AP Rasing CP5555 6ポット ピストンサイズ28Φ/30Φ/32Φ
ローター:355Φ×32mm ベンチレーテッド スリットローター、2ピース・セミフローティング、材質FCDダグタイル鋳鉄
専用ベルハット:シルバー色
専用ブラケット:ジュラルミン削り出し
フロントパッド:FEROAD DS2500

・リア
キャリパー:AP Rasing CP7607 4ポット ピストンサイズ27Φ/27Φ
ローター:330Φ×22mm ベンチレーテッド、スリットローター、3ピース・リジット固定、材質FCDダグタイル鋳鉄
専用ベルハット:シルバー色
専用ブラケット:ジュラルミン削り出し
リアパッド:FEROAD DS2500

●ホイール

BBS RE
フロント RE771 18×8.0J+40 ビックキャリパー対応品
リ  ア RE772 18×9.0J+45
ツラらいちではありません。控えめなツラ中タイプです。

●キャリパーとのクリアランス

フロント ホイール直径方向 約7mm、オフセット方向 min約10mm
リ  ア ホイール直径方向 約15mm、オフセット方向 min約20mm
リアのクリアランス十二分にあります(ありすぎです!)

●費用

輸入品なので価格等アップしているかもしれませんが装着時約73万円でした。

【インプレ】

効くのは言うまでも有りませんが、ブレーキタッチ、コントロール性、前後バランスも申し分なく、マスターシリンダーは161アリスト純正のままですが、一番心配していたブレーキペダルストロークが増えることもありませんでした。(欲に言うフカフカ・ドカーンといっぱいに踏み込んだ底で効くブレーキ)これもキャリパーの剛性の高さ、リアのピストン径が小さいことに関係しているのかな(?)と思っています。

ただし、窓を閉めている時に聞こえる”ゴロゴロ”とした比較的音が小さな異音と窓を開けて停止する時に聞こえるタイヤ一回転毎に聞こえる”カシャカシャ”という比較的大きな音の異音がありました。比較的遮音性が高く静かな車なので目立つのかもしれませんが、人によっては気にならない程度の音だと思います。しかし家族からは不評で結果的にフルフローティング・ローターをセミフローティング・ローターにすることで異音は全くなくなりました。異音が無くなった代償にブレーキストロークが若干増えたのとブレーキタッチ(カチッとした感触)が若干悪くなった気がしましたが慣れてしまったせいか今では全く違和感はありません。

その他、ブレーキダスト、鳴き関してはダストは多いですが水洗いで簡単に落ち、鳴きもありますが安心して止まれる事の代償と考え自分としては良しとしています。それからクリープなどの超低速時のブレーキングは効きすぎて注意しないとカックンブレーキになります。これも慣れてしまえば問題ないと思います。

総合的には、不安を感じずにブレーキを踏み込めるよになり、高価でしたが良い買い物をしたと思っています。ブレーキ装着後約1年経ちましたがジャダーなどトラブルもなく8年生の161ですが今だ衰えることなく新車時のように楽しく走っています。最後にDECKの中山代表及びスタッフのみなさん、お世話になりありがとうございました。この場をかりてお礼申し上げます。

---------------ENGRISH TRANSLATION---------------

does become quite expensive if you change both the front and rear. At this price, even some domestic brands are within reach (Tom's, Endless, GREX, etc).

My needs...
-Front 355mm or more
-caliper color must be black, silver, or something conservative
-Must be a caliper that can fully utilize the OEM brake booster w/o changing the balance.
-doesn't have a big difference between the front and back visually.

and I could not find anything that fits those needs.

From looks and performance point of view, I have looked into Alcon, Brembo, and AP Racing. And I could not decide which one I wanted. One day I found a shop called DECK in Owariasahi city in Aichi prefecture who carries AP racing at a reasonable price. They were very informative and kind through email but a drive from Tokyo to Aichi is not an overnight deal (it's possible, I've done it before but it's like driving from Chicago to Mobile AL tiring) so I was debating if I wanted to put the extra for hotels and other expenses. At this point, 3 years has gone by and since safety is important, I decided to make this purchase.

Brake Specs
Front
Caliper: AP Racing CP5555 6 pot, piston size 28Φ/30Φ/32Φ
Rotor: 355Φ×32mm, ventilated slit rotor, 2 piece semi-floating, FCD ductile cast iron(<--I think)
Special bellhat: silver color
Special brakets: duralumin...errr...I can't find the right word here. It's the process where one sort of "carve" (if you will) to form a shape from a single piece of metal.
front pad: FEROAD DS2500

Wheels:
BBS RE
Front: RE771 18x8.0J+40
Rear: RE772 18x9.0J+45
Not a Tsuraichi (flush), it has a conservative flush

Clearance between calipers and wheels
front diameter: 7mm
front offset: about 10mm
rear diameter: 15mm
front offest: 20mm

Cost:
730,000 yen. ($6363.87 USD as of Nov.3 07)

Impression:
(It sucks! lol, no jk.) Without a doubt, the brake touch, control, and balance between the front and rear is exceptional. I was worried about increased pedal stroke with my stock brake booster but pedal stroke did not increase at all (it's soft initially and stops like none other when you press the pedal deeper). This may be related with how strong the caliper is and how small the rear piston diameter is.

However, there is some audiable sound even when the window is closed. This is not a big deal though and probably not an issue for most (just a personal note, the Japanese are EXTREME perfectionists when it comes to things like cars so probably not even an issue). Considering it is a family hauler, I have decided to go from a full floating rotor to a semi floating rotor which completely eliminated the noise. With the sound gone, the pedal stroke marginally increased and the brake touch slightly degraded.

Besides that, the amount of brake dusts did increase but easily come off with water and the brakes do squeek more but it's a cheap price to pay for the increase in stopping power. Also I would also like to note that at really low speeds like when creeping, the brakes stop a little too much until you get used to it.

Overall, the brakes became most trustworthy and can drive without worries anymore. It was an expensive purchase but I feel like I have made a great purchase. It has been a year since the install and have no problems and still enjoying my 8 year old 161 (Aristo V300) like a brand new car. Finally, I would like to thank Nakayama-san and all the staffs from DECK.
Old 11-03-07, 07:26 PM
uplusd
Lexus Test Driver

The plot thickens...
Old 11-03-07, 09:22 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

ah, so japan had this a while ago already huh
Old 11-04-07, 01:01 AM
uplusd
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rominl
ah, so japan had this a while ago already huh
Well we could still change the title to "America's first"
Old 11-04-07, 09:32 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

lol, seriously what's so special about first here and first that. to me it's good enough to just have a nice setup, which glen has right now. leave the first and what not behind, that's really old school (lol, glen, should i change the title? haha )
Old 11-05-07, 03:52 AM
kit cat

Originally Posted by rominl
lol, seriously what's so special about first here and first that. to me it's good enough to just have a nice setup, which glen has right now. leave the first and what not behind, that's really old school (lol, glen, should i change the title? haha )
No one said anything about being first and special until you brought it up . But yeah, that "the first" stuff is annoying IMO too. I'm just saying there might be more data out there before he has to test them himself and maybe prevent something from happening if someone already has them. Afterall, it is an internet forum, isn't the whole point to share knowledge? Just trying to contribute b/c there aren't many people here that perfectly understands English and Japanese.

Anywho, back on topic.

RMMGS4>
I'm not a member of ClubAristo anymore but if you want any further info on this, lemme know.
Old 12-27-07, 09:58 PM
LexFather

I'm the first to bump this thread...lol