Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Help! Caliper sliding pin/bolt stuck

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-07, 09:46 AM
mongnata
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

andrewwake, I wish I could just pull out the pin but its really stuck in there good.

Just tried the boot trick and it STILL won't budge! Pretty much just pushes the car up! I guess I will have to find someone or a shop with a blowtorch.

Who woulda thought a simple brake pad switch would be so complicated. First, the wheel lock and key was stripped, bought a new wheel key, that also got stripped because I tried it on a stripped lug/lock. Had to get the lock removed at a shop. Now this stupid pin crap.

Just wanted to thank everyone again for trying to help out. Hopefully it'll be over soon without any new bs.
Old 11-10-07, 09:51 AM
comoSC
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Black_SC
that happened to me, i just took the easy way and bought a new caliper from aliga...
Same thing happened on my 94. I ended up just getting a new caliper from Aliga and used the bracket from that.
Old 05-07-08, 08:33 PM
StasGS4
Driver

Originally Posted by mongnata
andrewwake, I wish I could just pull out the pin but its really stuck in there good.

Just tried the boot trick and it STILL won't budge! Pretty much just pushes the car up! I guess I will have to find someone or a shop with a blowtorch.

Who woulda thought a simple brake pad switch would be so complicated. First, the wheel lock and key was stripped, bought a new wheel key, that also got stripped because I tried it on a stripped lug/lock. Had to get the lock removed at a shop. Now this stupid pin crap.

Just wanted to thank everyone again for trying to help out. Hopefully it'll be over soon without any new bs.
Did you ever get the pin out? I had the same problem on my GS400. I ended up removing the caliper bracket and then using an impact wrench to free up the stuck pin. It wasn't easy, but 20 minutes later I succeeded. What caused the stuck pin was a torn pin boot. I replaced the pin (bought from Lexus) due to visual corrosion and rubber boot (special order from Autozone - comes in a set of four). Now it is ok. Hope this helps even though it has been a while since you have attempted your break replacement.
Old 05-08-08, 01:04 PM
mongnata
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by StasGS4
Did you ever get the pin out? I had the same problem on my GS400. I ended up removing the caliper bracket and then using an impact wrench to free up the stuck pin. It wasn't easy, but 20 minutes later I succeeded. What caused the stuck pin was a torn pin boot. I replaced the pin (bought from Lexus) due to visual corrosion and rubber boot (special order from Autozone - comes in a set of four). Now it is ok. Hope this helps even though it has been a while since you have attempted your break replacement.
I took it to a shop and they pretty much just took a torch to it and was able to get the pin out but after like 20 mins of working on it! I was just happy I didn't have to get a new caliper. I did buy a new boot for it and that small boot cost me $14 for a pair. Oh well, it beats having to buy a new caliper. So looks like the torch method worked and thanks all for the advice.
Old 05-08-08, 01:27 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

My sliding pin used to be stuck on my GS4. I sprayed degreaser into the boot and let it sit for a bit. Then I was able to break it free with an impact.
Old 05-08-08, 02:11 PM
Black_SC
Lexus Champion

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

lol i hope he got that pin out as its been over 6 months!!