Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Help! Caliper sliding pin/bolt stuck

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-07, 12:40 PM
mongnata
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! Caliper sliding pin/bolt stuck

Tried to change front brake pads on my sc400 and can't replace the Caliper because the top sliding pin won't budge. Bottom one slides and turns easily but the top one is just stuck.

Any advice as to what my options are?

thanks in advance

Old 11-08-07, 03:39 PM
TheMole
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Try to spray it down with some pb blaster and let it sit for a while. Also, put back the bottom one to distribute some pressure. Don't fully tighten it so it can be removed easily.
I know its a tight fit, but see if you can fit a pipe/breaker bar over the ratchet to get some more leverage.
Mine were stuck pretty good on there as well. Going by the pic you have to pull the ratchet towards you. What I did was put a pipe over the ratchet and used the factory jack to push up on the pipe. It did not take much effort on my part except turning the **** on the jack so it goes up. The weight of the car aids in breaking it loose.
Old 11-08-07, 04:02 PM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wait. Are you trying to replace only the pads or the calipers as well? And if changing calipers, I hope you also have the right rotor to replace that OEM one with.
Old 11-08-07, 06:09 PM
mongnata
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sc300max
Try to spray it down with some pb blaster and let it sit for a while. Also, put back the bottom one to distribute some pressure. Don't fully tighten it so it can be removed easily.
I know its a tight fit, but see if you can fit a pipe/breaker bar over the ratchet to get some more leverage.
Mine were stuck pretty good on there as well. Going by the pic you have to pull the ratchet towards you. What I did was put a pipe over the ratchet and used the factory jack to push up on the pipe. It did not take much effort on my part except turning the **** on the jack so it goes up. The weight of the car aids in breaking it loose.
I guess at this point I will try spraying it down. The only thing is, it seems that it may not do much since there is a rubber cover on the pin. I also tried using a C-clamp to push the pin back in and loosen it, but it did not budge.

I will try your jack trick tommorow. If it comes loose, i'll want to take it out to clean and grease it. Can I just pull it out or does it unscrew out? Also, how would you be able to put the rubber cover back in?

Thanks for the info

PS: I am just changing the pads, not the rotor
Old 11-08-07, 06:31 PM
slappy96
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Still have an issue with this SC300

I actually replaced the rotors and the steel caliper bracket that these bolts ride in and I still have a problem with the same bolt. I think over time, something happens with the o-ring in the bolt. My brake on that wheel has always squealed like hell. If you can't get it loose and moving freely, I would replace the caliper bracket and the mount bolts. (150.00ish)
Old 11-08-07, 06:45 PM
TheMole
Lexus Champion

If you are just changing the pads I don't see any reason in removing that caliper bracket. Seems like you have removed the caliper already so the pads should be ready to go in. Are you having trouble fitting the new pads over the rotors? If this is the case pop open your hood and take off the brake fluid cap. Use a c-clamp or vice grips to push the pistons back in. Be careful not to damage them though.
Old 11-08-07, 07:14 PM
Baoser
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

why are u takin off the bracket if u dont need to change the rotors?
Old 11-08-07, 08:11 PM
mongnata
Driver School Candidate

Its my first time changing brakes and I didn't know you could replace pads without removing the caliper. Still don't honestly, how else would you remove the pads and push the caliper piston back in? Even if you only remove the top bolt, I think I would still have this problem.

I think the problem is with the fact that the new pads are thicker which makes the caliper not able to reach as far back to fit as it did with the worn pads. Basically, the part circled red won't push back in allowing me to slide the caliper over it.

The pads and caliper would fit fine. The main problem is that the pin I circled in the pic won't slide back like its supposed to.
Old 11-08-07, 09:42 PM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mongnata
I think the problem is with the fact that the new pads are thicker which makes the caliper not able to reach as far back to fit as it did with the worn pads.
In the caliper itself, there should be two pistons. Open the master cylinder, located off the brake pedal under the hood. Put a towel around the perimeter of the fluid reservoir to make certain no brake fluid gushes out. Put your old pad back in the caliper on the side where the pistons are located. Grab a C-Clamp and start applying force to squeeze the piston back deeper into the caliper itself. Once the pistons are both fully depressed, put the new pads back in the caliper, and everything should be good to go.

This guy is using a bottle cap and not the old pad. This guy is working on a Hyundai. But, the picture should help illustrate what needs to be done to allow the wider pad to get on either side of the rotor:
Old 11-09-07, 07:01 AM
mongnata
Driver School Candidate

I actually have no problem fitting caliper over new pads. I have a problem fitting caliper over the caliper pin where you screw it back in place. The caliper pin won't push back in allowing me to slide the caliper over it.

Old 11-09-07, 09:13 AM
TheMole
Lexus Champion

Hm try this: Take the pads out of the caliper. Bolt down the top of the caliper to the caliper bracket. You should be able to rotate the caliper upwards now. Place the brake pads on the rotor. Now rotate the caliper back down and see if it clears. If it clears then great. If it does not clear, then you will be able to see what is getting in the way whether it be the pistons not compressed enough or if the pin is truly stuck. When I changed my pads/rotors the pins moved freely. A good thing to remember next time if you are just changing the pads is that you only need to remove the bottom caliper bolt and rotate the caliper upwards. Anyhow, hope you get this issued resolved.
Old 11-09-07, 01:32 PM
andrewwake
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i understand perfectly what your trying to find out, i just changed my pads and rotors this last week. that slider pin pulls strait out, just get some vice grips and pull strait out. the boot will pop off and stay attatched to the bracket. you will want to take the bracket off however, because you need to clean the grease out of the hole you just pulled the pin from. buy some caliper slider grease from any auto store and lube the slider pin and set it back in all the way in so the boot slides over the pin. if you have any questions just pm me.
Old 11-09-07, 03:20 PM
Black_SC
Lexus Champion

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

that happened to me, i just took the easy way and bought a new caliper from aliga...
Old 11-09-07, 03:21 PM
Black_SC
Lexus Champion

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Baoser
why are u takin off the bracket if u dont need to change the rotors?
thats not the bolt to take off the bracket....
Old 11-09-07, 03:28 PM
orangecar
Pole Position

The crazy thing is that I just did my brakes an hour ago and had the same problem. I had a guy heat it up using a blowtorch and it came out. but you won't be able to get the caliper back in place until you're able to move the slider pin out of the way, as I'm sure you already know.

I wish i would have thought of the jack trick, sounds pretty cool

Quick Reply: Help! Caliper sliding pin/bolt stuck