Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

14 inch supra brake kit?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-07, 03:49 AM
TecnoSmurf
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 14 inch supra brake kit?

Are there any bigger brake kits or floater kits that let you use the TT supra brakes on a 14 inch rotor?

If there are where do I buy a set?
Old 11-12-07, 08:54 PM
TecnoSmurf
Lead Lap

Anyone know anything?
Old 11-13-07, 12:33 AM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have never heard of anything like what you are mentioning. I have heard of Endless making a 6 piston brake caliper to use the stock 12.7" rotors from the Supra TT, but I have not heard of any bracket adapting kits to use the Supra TT Calipers on larger rotors.

A bunch of big brake kits are available for the Supra. Some exceed 14". All of them cost ~$3k for starters. Horsepowerfreaks.com gas a very well organized website that is easy to navigate around. I would suggest their site to investigate the BBK options for the Supra.
Old 11-13-07, 03:53 AM
TecnoSmurf
Lead Lap

The made kits like this for my matrix. They would lift the calipers out a little to allow for a larger rotor.
Old 11-13-07, 06:43 AM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Originally Posted by TecnoSmurf
The made kits like this for my matrix. They would lift the calipers out a little to allow for a larger rotor.
What would the purpose be? There is no increase in stopping surface area so no increase in stopping power. I'm confused to the rationale behind this.
Old 11-13-07, 09:27 AM
LCSC
Lead Lap

The larger the rotor the more leverage you have= more stopping power.
Old 11-13-07, 09:31 AM
TheMole
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mkorsu
What would the purpose be? There is no increase in stopping surface area so no increase in stopping power. I'm confused to the rationale behind this.

Not sure if you remember, but AEM used to make brake relocation kits that included larger rotors. I actually had a set on an Integra and it made quite a difference. They stopped producing them though so they must have not sold well.
Old 11-13-07, 10:41 AM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Originally Posted by LCSC
The larger the rotor the more leverage you have= more stopping power.
More leverage where? The pad, which is what stops the car is still the exact same size. There is no increase in suraface area that is stopping the car. Only an increase in UNUSED rotor.

And I don't understand why you say leverage? Explain.
Old 11-13-07, 11:52 AM
TheMole
Lexus Champion

Here is a link to a description of the aem brake kit.
http://www.coximport.com/aem/bigbrakes.html
Old 11-13-07, 12:12 PM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Thanks for the link. I'm just trying to understand why a larger rotor alone would increase braking power.

Unfortunately, the AEM site doesn't explain why the larger rotor would work, only that it increases brake torque (which I don't buy - it's marketing mumbo jumbo).

Not getting on anyone's case, I just want to learn the physics behind why this would work. I personally do not agree with the claims, but I'm open to being disproven.
Old 11-13-07, 12:31 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Thanks for the link. I'm just trying to understand why a larger rotor alone would increase braking power.

Unfortunately, the AEM site doesn't explain why the larger rotor would work, only that it increases brake torque (which I don't buy - it's marketing mumbo jumbo).

Not getting on anyone's case, I just want to learn the physics behind why this would work. I personally do not agree with the claims, but I'm open to being disproven.
i cant explain the physics behind the STOPPING power for a bigger rotor (me+explaining a concept=fail)

but i can tell you that there are several good reasons:
-increased surface area allows for a cooler rotor/pad, which means LESS BRAKE FADE
-more surface area means that for ONE rotation of the axle, the brakes are engaged for a longer "distance" than on a smaller rotor. so the braking force is applied for a slightly longer period of time whenever they are applied. (uhh, trying to explain )

the problem of course with a bigger rotor is an increase in unsprung weight, which is combined with the fact that there is also more mass further away from the center of the axle, that its MUCH harder to turn. people have LOST WHP after going BBK that had heavy rotors (mostly a problem with 1pc rotors, not 2-3) or big heavy wheels.
Old 11-13-07, 12:32 PM
TheMole
Lexus Champion

Yea totally agree that the link doesn't really go into technical reasons. Marketing wise yea most likely. From experience it did feel like it was much better than oem brakes. Although, I am curious as to how it works as well. Will do some research and maybe come up with some sort of explanation.
Old 11-13-07, 12:36 PM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
but i can tell you that there are several good reasons:
-increased surface area allows for a cooler rotor/pad, which means LESS BRAKE FADE
-more surface area means that for ONE rotation of the axle, the brakes are engaged for a longer "distance" than on a smaller rotor. so the braking force is applied for a slightly longer period of time whenever they are applied. (uhh, trying to explain )

Valid points! Thanks!

While I'm sure the "claims" are overstated. As is pretty much everything that is advertised these days. It does make sense to me now that there could be some slight improvement, especially in the area of brake fade.

Thanks guys for enlightening me!
Old 11-13-07, 01:06 PM
TTSC3
Pole Position

With the TT rotors being roughly 12.75in, how much bigger are the aftermarket rotors anyway? Like Brembo, Powerslot, Rotora, etc. How are the dimensions and weight compared to the stock TT rotors?
Old 11-13-07, 01:15 PM
LCSC
Lead Lap

More leverage where? The pad, which is what stops the car is still the exact same size. There is no increase in suraface area that is stopping the car. Only an increase in UNUSED rotor.

And I don't understand why you say leverage? Explain.
Leverage because you are further out on the rotor, have you ever driven a car with a small stearing wheel? Yes the pads are the same size but they contact the rotor more every rotation

Quick Reply: 14 inch supra brake kit?