Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Recommendations on what to do?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-07, 04:59 PM
Just2fly
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recommendations on what to do?

Hi.

Alright, well here is what is going on. I have a 1992 Lexus Sc300 with around 150,000 miles on it. My problem I am having with the car is basically the ride quality, and the handling of the car. When going over rough roads, and such. My steering wheel starts pulling in whichever direction, I am feeling every bump in the road ect. I am pretty sure you guys already know about this. The only thing I replaced since I had the car are the struts with the KYB-GR2 struts. While changing them I took a look at the lower control arms, and the ball joints on them looked worn down. So the bushings are probably worn down on them also. I know I will be needing to replace those (I think the control arms might of came from a junkyard, because they had the numbers on them like they put on them at the junkyard lol). Now the ride quality got a little better, but I still get alot of pulling from the steering wheel.

The thing is that I have searched around on here looking for what exactly to replace, and how to go about doing so. I keep seeing the daizen bushings for replacing the worn bushing. What I keep seeing though is that they may take the pulling out of the steering wheel, they also make the ride alot more rougher though. Now this is my daily driver, and I was not looking to make the ride rougher. It seems like those are more for if you was wanting to race it. Like I said, this is my daily driver, and I was looking for a more smoother ride, so I can enjoy the ride while also not having the steering pulling like it is.

I was wanting to know if anybody had any suggestions for me, of what might needs to be done?
Old 11-12-07, 05:48 PM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If your ball joints are worn and need to be replaced then you have no choice to replace the entire lower control arm. The ball joints are not replaceable by themselves.

I would suspect that the bushings are shot like you said. Especially with 150k on the odo. Pick up some Supra lower control arms for the front as they are a direct bolt in and cost less than the Lexus version. New ball joint and new bushings in one shot.

Done deal.
Old 11-12-07, 06:04 PM
Just2fly
Driver School Candidate

With supra lower control arms, I am looking at around $450.00 for both right? What's the quality difference between the Supra, and the Lexus lower control arms? What about all the other bushings that I probably need to replace also? Probably looking at the steering rack bushings, and the other control arms as well. Like I said, I heard about the daizen bushings helping with the steering pulling, but the ride quality is really rough with them. Looking for a more smoother ride.
Old 11-13-07, 06:38 PM
Just2fly
Driver School Candidate

I just recently found some OEM lower control arms for around $600.00 for both all together brand new. I believe the supra's are going for around $450 right? With the price difference only about $150.00, would you still recommend the supra lower control arms, over the OEM lower control arms?
Old 11-16-07, 06:48 AM
TheMole
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

$600 for both oem lexus front lcas? Are you sure its not only for one side because retail on one is about $600. Although, the 97-00 are a bit cheaper than the 92-96 versions, but not that much cheaper.

Last edited by TheMole; 11-16-07 at 09:45 PM.
Old 11-16-07, 09:24 PM
Just2fly
Driver School Candidate

Yes, $600.00 for both OEM lexus lower control arms. I asked if they where brand new, and they told me yes, with factory labels. I believe they said shipping was about 23.00 for both of them. The price difference is only about $150.00 more to get the OEM control arms. I don't know if I should get the supra arms, or the OEM arms.
Old 11-17-07, 02:28 PM
CyBorG
Pole Position

the ride quality is supposedly better on the oem than the supras, which are a bit stiffer...so you are paying extra for luxury. I ordered supra ones myself last week and going to put it in a few days