Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Guess what cspec got in the mail today!

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-07, 04:18 PM
josephdoc
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by iSuxeL
Youve never heard of True Religion Gernby?

And johnnyboy what is TDM? Taiwan Domestic Market? If so, why would you rather buy their stuff than JDM stuff?
LOL.. I love this thread.

If TDM really stands for Taiwanese Domestic Market, then I will be all-in if I could not find the same product in JDM. Taiwan produces quality products not much less than Japanese standard now.

Back to discussion,
This Tom's full kit add some significant of weight to the car, but sure it handles much better.

Last edited by josephdoc; 11-16-07 at 04:21 PM.
Old 11-16-07, 04:24 PM
RFFG
Lexus Test Driver

Nice!

Old 11-16-07, 04:56 PM
cspec
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lol...

iSexuL, it's our inside joke.

Last edited by cspec; 11-16-07 at 05:00 PM.
Old 11-16-07, 05:01 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Will you be wearing those jeans for the install?

*install* was on topic
Old 11-16-07, 05:10 PM
cspec
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by josephdoc
This Tom's full kit add some significant of weight to the car, but sure it handles much better.
Yeah, the bars do add some weight, but the car does handle MUCH better.
Old 11-16-07, 07:57 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by josephdoc
I'm curious why you think it does (or would) handle better. Stiffer does not equal better. Stiffer can give the impression that it is handling better because the driver feels more forces, or the car feels like it's "riding on rails", but that often leads to significantly slower laps.
Old 11-18-07, 08:15 AM
Scythe
Lead Lap

it takes away body roll.. so when u hit a turn hard, the car doesnt sway as much to the outside, giving u a straighter line on the turn.. i think

and u dont feel like ur gunna slide off the road
Old 11-18-07, 09:07 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Scythe
it takes away body roll.. so when u hit a turn hard, the car doesnt sway as much to the outside, giving u a straighter line on the turn.. i think

and u dont feel like ur gunna slide off the road
Don't believe everything you hear or read. Spend some time on a track with different setups, and you'll see that stock suspensions are aften faster than those that are upgraded blindly.
Old 11-18-07, 02:53 PM
Scythe
Lead Lap

hm.. so then whats the point of an upgraded suspension? im not disagreeing with you im pretty inexperienced with suspension, but i've always thought that soft suspension = smooth, luxury ride, with much body roll, while hard suspension = tight sportier ride, quicker turns...
body roll shifts the weight of the car, which (i again think..) would slow it down.. while a tighter ride keeps more traction to all 4 wheels of the car, which.. again i think.. would speed it up

help me out here?
Old 11-18-07, 03:19 PM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Gernby
Don't believe everything you hear or read. Spend some time on a track with different setups, and you'll see that stock suspensions are aften faster than those that are upgraded blindly.
Correct me if Im wrong but isnt that due to the extensive tuning from the factory??

Originally Posted by cspec
lol...

iSexuL, it's our inside joke.
Oh
Old 11-18-07, 03:19 PM
cspec
Lexus Champion

Totally agree.

But I know for a fact that Tom's does do extensive R&D on their products because they have historically have a functional aim in most of their products (excluding the Tom's accessories). While I was in Hong Kong, I saw a video in regards to track testing these products, which have convinced me to purchase them, because they have been track proven.

In their research, they have all deducted that installing a shock tower bar was useless, which is why they did not produce one at all. Unlike LMS, which has produced items that have proven no benefit whatsoever.

Tom's is a small company that has been in the industry for awhile and has a very reputable name. And I trust their quality products. I mean, they are the only company that has spent anytime producing quality parts for the 2IS too, besides exterior mods, that is.

It's true that there are many items that will make the car slower on track. Many items that have not be R&D'd. But this has.

Last edited by cspec; 11-18-07 at 03:24 PM.
Old 11-18-07, 03:21 PM
cspec
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Scythe
hm.. so then whats the point of an upgraded suspension? im not disagreeing with you im pretty inexperienced with suspension, but i've always thought that soft suspension = smooth, luxury ride, with much body roll, while hard suspension = tight sportier ride, quicker turns...
body roll shifts the weight of the car, which (i again think..) would slow it down.. while a tighter ride keeps more traction to all 4 wheels of the car, which.. again i think.. would speed it up

help me out here?
Body roll =/ bad

A lot of times the suspension can take the cornering. But if it is too stiff, a lot of times there would be too much stress put into the tire and you may lose traction.

But these bars doesn't reduce the body roll. I have not implied that at all.
Old 11-18-07, 03:41 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

I don't have enough experience myself to explain the issue, but I've experienced how the "upgrade" can slow you down many times over. I went from getting FTD (Fasted Time of Day) at about 50% of the autocrosses I participated in with a stock S2000 to ZERO with my "upgraded" suspension. I went with the "hot" upgrades (front X-brace, big front sway bar, and JIC FLTA2 coil-overs), but they just slowed me down (significantly).

BTW, I realize that the big front sway bar will sound odd to most people, but the S2000 had MASSIVE oversteer problems from the factory. The front sway bar was one of the things that actually did improve lap times.
Old 11-18-07, 03:44 PM
Scythe
Lead Lap

But these bars doesn't reduce the body roll. I have not implied that at all.
oops, i thought thats what braces were for... =/ see, as i said, im not to knowledge able about suspension...

and gernby, sounds like ur s2000 was sexy =p
Old 11-18-07, 03:52 PM
cspec
Lexus Champion

BTW, I realize that the big front sway bar will sound odd to most people, but the S2000 had MASSIVE oversteer problems from the factory. The front sway bar was one of the things that actually did improve lap times.
I know what you mean, talk about snap oversteer from hell.

Quick Reply: Guess what cspec got in the mail today!