Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Guess what cspec got in the mail today!

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-07, 04:45 PM
FiveOhNine
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In my experience, the only time a stiffer suspension hurts you is when you 'bounce/basketball' over rough roads. Body roll tends to put more down force on the outer tires which increases the traction, but only to the limits of the tire. Once it hits this point, the tire loses traction.

Sure, more weight means more traction, but once those outer tires hit their frictional limit, there is less weight on the inner tires to pick up the slack.

So, while stiffness in the extreme might not be the ideal solution, I believe that a more even distribution of weight due to stiffer suspension is the best.
Old 11-18-07, 05:21 PM
inxexisten
Lead Lap

So many people in Socal including me wear deisgner jeans like true religion, rock and republic and so forth, although I prefer to buy Evisu =) but $700 a pair is a bit much so I only have a couple of pairs.
Old 11-18-07, 10:15 PM
carchitect
Lead Lap

A little off topic (although there have been 2 topics being discussed). I can't see how any of you guys can fathom spending over $80 for some jeans. Some of these jeans appear like the've been thru hell and then some and guys are willing to pay over $200 for them? WTH!! And Evisu Jeans are $700?!! For that price I would rather have a suit tailored for me. I've purchased suits that are more than 7 bills but this is jeans were talking. To me thats like paying $700,000 for an IS350. I could purchase a Pagani Zonda and an Aston Martin DB-S for that price!!

I suppose there are people who would spend the big bucks to appear trendy. I'd spend the bucks to appear sophisticated instead. Besides a suit will outlast those jeans. I know this is indeed my opinion and..... but seriously spending that much for jeans ?!

Back onto the topic. If there is indeed an increase in "stiffness" of the chassis with these braces, the advantage I see from it is a chassis that will maintain rigidity for a longer life span. I know this is somewhat confusing but a flimsy chassis will develop cracks within spotwelds, separation of uni-body paneling, uneven height control and wheel alignment, reduced torque transfer, and severe handling issues after it has "loosened". This could be a proactive approach rather than reactive approach and could help with a much balanced vehicle for sustained spirited driving. I'm not willing to say that the brace is giong to make a vehicle perform better until I get a shot at the vehicle on a road course driven without and with the brace. But I do agree that Tom's is one manufacturer who seem to produce products that are indeed functional and not bogus like most other manufactrers I've seen.

-Joe
Old 11-18-07, 10:31 PM
inxexisten
Lead Lap

well actually evisu jeans range from around $300-$900...but i tend to have a liking towards the more expensive ones. Also, I have some suits/blazers for special ocassions/dates costing me one to two Gs and haven't you noticed the trend lately... a blazer with dark denim jeans with a dress shirt for cocktail parties? well thats off topic

So you guys recommend getting the braces without substantial increase over the stock in neither torque or horsepower?
Old 11-18-07, 10:35 PM
cspec
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The braces are a definite worth-while mod for me.
Old 11-18-07, 10:48 PM
MoLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Seven is the only fair and perfect way to go IMO. Make sure you have black interior because the dye from the jeans wears off on any other interior color.
Old 11-18-07, 10:56 PM
cspec
Lexus Champion

Can you guys just please stay on topic...
Old 11-19-07, 07:05 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by carchitect
If there is indeed an increase in "stiffness" of the chassis with these braces, the advantage I see from it is a chassis that will maintain rigidity for a longer life span. I know this is somewhat confusing but a flimsy chassis will develop cracks within spotwelds, separation of uni-body paneling, uneven height control and wheel alignment, reduced torque transfer, and severe handling issues after it has "loosened". This could be a proactive approach rather than reactive approach and could help with a much balanced vehicle for sustained spirited driving. I'm not willing to say that the brace is giong to make a vehicle perform better until I get a shot at the vehicle on a road course driven without and with the brace. But I do agree that Tom's is one manufacturer who seem to produce products that are indeed functional and not bogus like most other manufactrers I've seen.

-Joe

It doesn't appear that these braces are for the chassis at all, and would actually increase stress on the chassis. Honestly, these braces look like they would have about the same effect as replacing the soft OEM rubber bushings with poly urethane bushings. Grip would largely remain unchanged, but it would feel more responsive. Of course, road noise and rattles would increase, and it would be less forgiving at the limit. I just don't see why anyone would want this for a street car...
Old 11-19-07, 06:40 PM
cspec
Lexus Champion

Fair enough, there are always skeptics...